Tweeter height?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweeter height?

If you are building a time aligned design with a sloped baffle what height would you put the tweeter at? Would it be seated ear height or something else? Thanks.

Re: Tweeter height?

Originally posted by Paulie View Post
    If you are building a time aligned design with a sloped baffle what height would you put the tweeter at? Would it be seated ear height or something else? Thanks.
    Design for the axis you'll be doing the most listening, in your favorite spot and usually seated.

My ear height from the floor is about 34" with my couches.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Pete. I was just wondering if the baffle being sloped at 10 degrees made any difference. My ear height is about 36" from the floor when seated so I'll make my tweeter centerline 36".

Comment

I was just wondering if the baffle being sloped at 10 degrees made any difference.
        The reason you want a tweeter at ear height, is because it is likely to be the most directive of the drivers at the top of its passband. But really, we`re talking about 8khz+ so it`s splitting hairs. As long as your measurements are taken at ear height, you`ll know where to go on the crossover(s) from 200hz to 4khz which is a lot more important.
        :blues: Flat frequency response, a smooth sound power response free of resonance, careful driver-integration, and high dynamic range both upward and downward :blues:

Comment

Design for the axis you'll be doing the most listening, in your favorite spot and usually seated.

My ear height from the floor is about 34" with my couches.
          34-36 works for me as well.

Pete, Is that 34" from the bottom of your lobe, or the top of your crown?:p

Comment

Yes, seated ear height is a good place to start. But depending on how far back you sit, you can go higher or lower.
            "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Thanks for the reply Pete. I was just wondering if the baffle being sloped at 10 degrees made any difference. My ear height is about 36" from the floor when seated so I'll make my tweeter centerline 36".
              It could if you can measure the roll off it will create above 8 to 10KHz you can design for that. As you move farther away the off axis angle will become greater so depending on the size of the dome the roll off at very high frequencies could get appreciable. In the grand scheme of things it is not likely to be significantly detrimental. I am assuming you did the baffle tilt to compensate for acoustic center between the tweeter and the mid.
              Dave

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
              If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by dthomas View Post
                It could if you can measure the roll off it will create above 8 to 10KHz you can design for that. As you move farther away the off axis angle will become greater so depending on the size of the dome the roll off at very high frequencies could get appreciable. In the grand scheme of things it is not likely to be significantly detrimental. I am assuming you did the baffle tilt to compensate for acoustic center between the tweeter and the mid.
                Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I plan to tilt the baffle to compensate for the acoustic center between tweeter and mid. I am planning to use the Scanspeak D2608-9130 tweeter and from the measurements I've seen, it has very little high frequency rolloff untill you get considerably off axis.

Comment

There's an unspoken presumption here that you should be listening to the tweeter "on-axis" . . . which for a lot of reasons (not least being that your sloped baffle puts you off-axis anyway) doesn't really apply. Lots of people "toe in" their speakers, which puts them off-axis horizontally, so why should vertical axis be any more significant? There are good reasons for placing more emphasis on floor and ceiling reflections (which are influenced by height) than on whether the tweeter is at "ear level" . . .
                  "It suggests that there is something that is happening in the real system that is not quite captured in the models."

Comment

I know it's stating the obvious, but the way to think about it is that you're already 10* off-axis if the driver is at a 10* angle with the tweeter at ear height. I'm not saying that on-axis is king but the point is that you're already that much further off the tweeter's (typically) best aimed position. So, any further deviation is going to result in a reduced top end. If it matters or not is up to the final install and, more importantly, you.
                    ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

Originally posted by ErinH View Post
                      I know it's stating the obvious, but the way to think about it is that you're already 10* off-axis if the driver is at a 10* angle with the tweeter at ear height. I'm not saying that on-axis is king but the point is that you're already that much further off the tweeter's (typically) best aimed position. So, any further deviation is going to result in a reduced top end. If it matters or not is up to the final install and, more importantly, you.
                      That is what I was thinking and why I asked the question. After looking at the off axis plots of the D2608-9130 on Mark K's website, it looks like the tweeter has pretty good high frequency extension. Being 10* off axis may even help with the tweeters slightly rising top end. I'm going to start with the tweeter at 36".Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X