New Lepai amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Lepai amps?

Just noticed there seem to be two new Lepai amps on PE.

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards...fg&srchMfg=471

Am I blind or are these new and has anyone tried either of the new ones? The 2x40W + 1x68 2.1 amp for $26 looks like a solid deal

Re: New Lepai amps?

I really didn't need to see that. Now I'm going to want to add a sub to my computer setup.

Comment

For those prices, it would be fun to buy and play with.
      My Home Theater Build thread
      My DIY Speaker builds

My Gear:
      Emotiva XMC-1
      Emotiva XPR-2
      Emotiva XPA-5
      Clearwave Dynamics 4T and 4CC (mains)
      Paradigm Millennia LP (surrounds)
      Oppo 103D
      Mede8er 600X3D w/ 4TB
      Marantz CD-5004
      AppleTV
      JVC RS-4910 Projector
      100" Screen Innovations Pure Gray Screen w/ LED kit
      APC Uninterrupted Power Supply (x2)
      iRule controlling it all....

Comment

I notice that neither of the two new amps use the tripath chip -- or at least it isn't mentioned in the product descriptions. Could these be of lesser quality?

But the the one with the separate sub woofer amp looks promising for computer use...
        Tritrix HT:http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222519
        Dayton 12" Subwoofer: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222930
        Overnight Sensations: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=223751
        Cerberus sub: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=cerebus
        Duellatis: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224943
        NTN's: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=227902

Comment

they're nice. cant imagine 4amps could make them do much but great for desktop. thinking gifts. the 2.1 has usb charging, sweet.
          " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
          Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
          http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Those are really interesting. I particularly like the 2.1 amp. Unfortunately, considering the max rated input says 14.4v and 5A, they won't make near the stated power at rms.
            Using the supplied 12v 4A supply, at 85% efficiency, probably about 10wrms/ch for the 4ch and 10w per and 20w for the sub for the 2.1. For the price though, they, may be worth a try...don't think my sub is sensitive enough for just 20w.
            Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
            Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
            Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
            Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
            Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

Grab the old PC power supplies! That 4 channel will draw 15 amps @12 volts. Either are such bargains (ignore the weanie 4 amp PS, or re-purpose it for a regular Lepai) they should be lots of fun to play with. S/N ratio isn't anything to brag about, but it is probably better below full output. T-amp typical.

Comment

Really interested in the MP3 system- it's perfect for my bedroom mini-system. Just really curious about the sound quality and- a 4 channel amp, stable to 2 ohms... why? So weird but I'll take one none the less.
                -Dan
                Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

Originally posted by djkest View Post
                  Really interested in the MP3 system- it's perfect for my bedroom mini-system. Just really curious about the sound quality and- a 4 channel amp, stable to 2 ohms... why? So weird but I'll take one none the less.
                  I just recently purchased the Tripath and having owned it for just one week I can honestly say that this little baby is quite loud and very clear, especially for it's size. I have it powering 2 Paradigm Titan v1 Monitors which serve as a pc speakers for my home studio setup. I also use a Soundblaster X-fi Platinum series audio card so you'll have to take that into consideration as well. So far everyone that's heard it was pretty amazed at how such a big sound can come from such a small amp.

I just wish the new amps were available at the time, because I would have definitely purchased the one with the sub channel.
                  Break in period = The time it takes for the new speakers to break in. And the time it takes for you ears to get adjusted to the new speakers.

Comment

The 4x45W biamping a set of small desktop speakers sounds awesome. The interesting thing is - funny how they say output power is dependant on the power supply. ;)
                    Line Array: IDS-25 Clone, FE-83.
                    2-2.5 Way:
                    Zaph Audio's winning entry: ZA5+SB29. - Microliths: RS125+RS28. - Small Bangs: TB W4-1658SB+SEAS 27TBFC/G. - Monoliths: Peerless 830884+SEAS 27TBFC/G.
                    3-3.5 Way:Miniliths: SEAS P21/CA21REX+Neo8 PDR+Neo3 PDR. - Megaliths: 2xDayton RS270+2xT-B W4-1337SB+SB29. - ZDT3.5 +: 2xDayton RS180+Dayton RS52+Vifa DQ25. Reflexos: OB 4xDayton RS150 + Neo3 PDR.

Comment

Well, if the SQ of the current non-tripath is similar to the 2.1 Lepai I bought over a year ago, you are all in for a rather disappointing party. Just do not expect anything from them, and you will be happy.

The tripath based Lepai was much, much better. Not great, but good enough for most (myself included).
                      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the update/review. You probably just saved me money and a disappointment. I'll just stick to what I have.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                          Well, if the SQ of the current non-tripath is similar to the 2.1 Lepai I bought over a year ago, you are all in for a rather disappointing party. Just do not expect anything from them, and you will be happy.

The tripath based Lepai was much, much better. Not great, but good enough for most (myself included).
                          Yeah, I liked my Lepai Tripath Amp, but I was immediately skeptical because these amps are using a different amplifier topography- so their performance is unknown: and frankly, they are "too good" a deal right now if they actually performed on par with the tripath with regards to sound.

I might just stick with my plan to get an Indeed HiFi tripath amp instead.
                          -Dan
                          Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

Where's Neil when you need him to clear this up?
                            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                            Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Tempted to throw one of these in the cart. At that price, you could very easily power one of those 6.5" buyout subs and a pair of stereo speakers. Incredible.

I wonder what that USB port is for though. Says its for charging. Huh?
                              Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

Working...
                              X