Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any measurements of the Focal buyout woofer?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Any measurements of the Focal buyout woofer?

    Just wondering if anyone's measured or done anything with these yet.

  • #2
    Re: Any measurements of the Focal buyout woofer?

    dthomas posted some info earlier - I think he did an MTM before it was a closeout.
    Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Any measurements of the Focal buyout woofer?

      I posted a basic FR measurement over here.
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Any measurements of the Focal buyout woofer?

        Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
        I posted a basic FR measurement over here.
        Did you do an HD sweep too Johnny?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Any measurements of the Focal buyout woofer?

          Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
          Did you do an HD sweep too Johnny?
          I did, but didn't save it. IIRC, it was typical of cheap 6.5" woofers. The breakup propagated into the 3rd harmonic low enough to warrant crossing over around 2-2.5k. About all I remember off the top of my head.
          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Any measurements of the Focal buyout woofer?

            Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
            Did you do an HD sweep too Johnny?
            I have measurement data, my FR graphs look basically like what Johnny posted here actually from 500Hz up it is almost an overlay. I did this for another guy doing an MTM and MT using the HiVi K1 tweeter it was very well received at a Dallas area DIY. My take was the bass was it was ok and comparable to mid to low priced drivers in this size, it wasy where it performed worse from a distortion standpoint in my estimation. I didn't keep HD sweeps but I do remember it had issues around the break up at 4K to 6K but was fairly good from 200Hz to 2500Hz. The midrange was nice for a driver in this price range, very good paper cone sound. I crossed at 2250Hz and that is about as high as you can go, I used a 2nd order electrical network that whic resulted in close to a 4th order acoustic transfer function. But the crossover was very simple. This was designed to be HT speakers for a budget build, the owner built 3 MTMs for LCR and 2 MTs for surrounds he was very pleased but I don't think he was an audiophool so his expectations were probably not super high. What I heard at the DIY event left me with the impression that it was a good high value build for the cost of drivers and simplicity of the crossover.

            What I saved from a file standpoint is a FR response graph on an 6' x 6' test baffle, free air impedance, FRD file in a 20L bass reflex cabinet sorry I don't have the dimensions but might be able to get it, ZMA file in a 20L ported cabinet tuning was about 48-50Hz IIRC. If you PM me I can email them to you later today when I am on the right PC.
            Dave

            If you can read this, thank a teacher.
            If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran
            .

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Any measurements of the Focal buyout woofer?

              Originally posted by dthomas View Post
              I have measurement data, my FR graphs look basically like what Johnny posted here actually from 500Hz up it is almost an overlay. I did this for another guy doing an MTM and MT using the HiVi K1 tweeter it was very well received at a Dallas area DIY. My take was the bass was it was ok and comparable to mid to low priced drivers in this size, it wasy where it performed worse from a distortion standpoint in my estimation. I didn't keep HD sweeps but I do remember it had issues around the break up at 4K to 6K but was fairly good from 200Hz to 2500Hz. The midrange was nice for a driver in this price range, very good paper cone sound. I crossed at 2250Hz and that is about as high as you can go, I used a 2nd order electrical network that whic resulted in close to a 4th order acoustic transfer function. But the crossover was very simple. This was designed to be HT speakers for a budget build, the owner built 3 MTMs for LCR and 2 MTs for surrounds he was very pleased but I don't think he was an audiophool so his expectations were probably not super high. What I heard at the DIY event left me with the impression that it was a good high value build for the cost of drivers and simplicity of the crossover.

              What I saved from a file standpoint is a FR response graph on an 6' x 6' test baffle, free air impedance, FRD file in a 20L bass reflex cabinet sorry I don't have the dimensions but might be able to get it, ZMA file in a 20L ported cabinet tuning was about 48-50Hz IIRC. If you PM me I can email them to you later today when I am on the right PC.
              I'd 'like' to get 2nd order LR at 2khz if possible????

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Any measurements of the Focal buyout woofer?

                Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
                I'd 'like' to get 2nd order LR at 2khz if possible????
                I assume you are referring to an LR acoustic slope. That is probably not very doable with the break up at 4KHz it is over 5db up so it likely will be detrimental to your tweeters response and if I recall correctly the HD was an issue in this region.

                I was able to get a good 4th order acoustic slope with just two parts or close to 4th order. This takes the break up out of the equation. But you have to overdamp the second order network a bit to get it to roll off steeply enough.
                Dave

                If you can read this, thank a teacher.
                If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran
                .

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Any measurements of the Focal buyout woofer?

                  Man, i really hate steep slopes so i might pass on these BUT i was planning on multiples so the HD might not be so offensive. At $7.50 in quantity might be worth a try. I originally bought the Aura 6's for this but the foam surround has me worried with UV exposure as these will be used outside quite often.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Any measurements of the Focal buyout woofer?

                    Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
                    Man, i really hate steep slopes so i might pass on these BUT i was planning on multiples so the HD might not be so offensive. At $7.50 in quantity might be worth a try. I originally bought the Aura 6's for this but the foam surround has me worried with UV exposure as these will be used outside quite often.
                    The foam on these appears to be very dense and well treated.

                    I wouldn't nag a $7 woofer for such a small thing.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Any measurements of the Focal buyout woofer?

                      Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
                      Man, i really hate steep slopes so i might pass on these BUT i was planning on multiples so the HD might not be so offensive. At $7.50 in quantity might be worth a try. I originally bought the Aura 6's for this but the foam surround has me worried with UV exposure as these will be used outside quite often.
                      The distortion is not offensive, I would say if you think a DC160 is a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10 this driver would be a 9.5. The midrange clarity is excellent not unlike most 6" drivers it has some distortion issues where it break ups. Since it breaks up around 4K I recall the 3rd order distortion rose in that region. But distortion was quite decent from 3KHz down. It was a little high below 100Hz if I recall correctly but nothing terrible and probably better than other drivers in this price range. The big problem with a 2nd order at 2KHz is that the rise at 4K is about 5 or 6 db so you going to have problems.

                      All in all it is a great driver and real value for the price it is being sold at. But like most drivers it is has finite applications and limitations. Would not be my choice for a 2nd order acoustic slope at 2KHz need to find a driver that is smoother out to above 5K for that.
                      Dave

                      If you can read this, thank a teacher.
                      If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran
                      .

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Any measurements of the Focal buyout woofer?

                        Originally posted by Sidi View Post
                        The foam on these appears to be very dense and well treated.

                        I wouldn't nag a $7 woofer for such a small thing.
                        I am pretty picky about the drivers I like, I thought these drivers sounded good below 2300Hz. I have heard several projects done with them. Several of the Dallas DIYers nabbed them from Zalytron and built projects with them. I actually was impressed with the Hivi K1 that they were paired with also. Heck of a tweeter for $13. Paired with this midwoofer it sounded quite pleasant. Not a serious design but a good high value budget system.

                        Like I said the midrange clarity on these compared to something like the DC160 is no contest the Focal buyout is a clear and easy winner in my book. But 6.5" midwoofers that will do a 2nd order acoustic at 2000Hz are hard to come by at under $30.
                        Dave

                        If you can read this, thank a teacher.
                        If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran
                        .

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X