Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benefits/Disatvantages of bookshelf to tower

Hello All!

Simple question, but no material on the subject. Ill keep this brief. In lieu of purchasing stands for my recently built speedsters, I'd like to convert them to towers.

Is there, if any, benefits or disadvantages to making a tower (with a false bottom)? Any suggestions would be great!

Re: Benefits/Disatvantages of bookshelf to tower

Advantages of a false bottom?

-It looks better
    -It might give some moderate re-enforcement of midrange response? Nothing meaningful mind you.
    -It should be sturdier

Disadvantages? Cinder blocks are cheaper :D
    :blues: Flat frequency response, a smooth sound power response free of resonance, careful driver-integration, and high dynamic range both upward and downward :blues:

Comment

Great! If cinder blocks had the spouse approval, I'd be in! But not with mine.

Studio22~

Comment

Another advantage would be the option of adding a powered sub if you don't already have one (or even if you do :D)
        Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

Towers are less likely to tip or hurt someone if a child knocks them over. I always imagine a toddler playing and accidentally knocking the 2way off its stand onto themselves. :eek::eek:

That's one reason I would like my next build to be a moderate size tower.

Marv

Comment

All great responses guys, the input is greatly appreciated. I might give the powered sub a chance. I have had great luck being able to position the sub I currently use at multiple locations for better results. But less is more for me, and taking away that extra box in the corner would visually ease my eye.

In terms of sound, does the vertical extension of the baffle effect anything?

Studio22~

Comment

I have towers for my HT setups for the reason Marv mentioned, child safety. I prefer the look of bookshelves in most cases because they look slimmer and sleeker, though I love some tall towers. My don knocked over one of my towers before and it did what I had hoped if he ever did knock one over...the tower fell away from him. If he his a stand at decent speed, I'm scared it would fall right on him.
              Other than that, towers can fit more drivers and offers that fuller sound that I find hard to come by in bookshelves. With my towers, I can play music with no sub, but I've not heard a small bookshelf that produced the same low end fullness that I like without running a sub, though I may like more bass in my music than you.
              If I were to convert a bookshelf to a tower, I'd likely do what was suggested and build a sub into the base section. Either a side firing one our a pair of small 6.5"subs in each tower base. It keeps the overall tower slim, which I like. I don't like towers that look like giant statues from stone henge or something.
              Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
              Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
              Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
              Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
              Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

Originally posted by Studio22 View Post

In terms of sound, does the vertical extension of the baffle effect anything?
                answer:
                Originally posted by GranteedEV View Post

-It might give some moderate re-enforcement of midrange response? Nothing meaningful mind you.

Comment

Originally posted by jclin4 View Post
                  answer:
                  That works! Problem solved

Comment

Working...
                  X