Need advice on car speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on car speakers

I figured I'd ask here since you guys would probably have a better idea of what I could use.

I'm looking to spend no more than $100 total on speakers shipped, but I'd prefer to spend less. I need to choose speakers for a two-way active setup in my new car with a MiniDSP.

For tweeters, I have plenty of these lying around. they're compact, which helps.
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1028

I'm also considering these:
    http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...-2-full-range/

Either way, the tweeters will have to be very small as these will go in factory locations in the pillars.

For woofers, I was thinking about some of these:
    http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...1/2-wool-cone/

I'd like to keep it cheaper if possible, but I want some good midbass authority.

I haven't decided on the amp, but its going to be either one Boston Acoustics GT-40 (55Wx4) or a combination of a Coustic Power Logic AMP-460 (98W x 2) and a Coustic Power Logic AMP-160 (30W x 2). The latter two were made in 1992. All ratings are @ 4 ohms.

I'm kind of leaning toward the latter two since they match and I can paint them to look really nice.
    Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Re: Need advice on car speakers

I'm a big fan of this set up for the $. And you can keep it all BA if you want.
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...stics_S60.aspx
    Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Henry View Post
      I'm a big fan of this set up for the $. And you can keep it all BA if you want.
      http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...stics_S60.aspx
      Its not a bad price, but I just have the feeling that I could do better with a decent pair of speakers that isn't part of a component set if I'm going active.
      Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

Understood. I was thinking budget first. Also was looking for more sensitivity that IMO is better for a car environment. It's a little above your budget, but the W6-789/DQ25 combo is something I always wanted to try in a car.
        Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

I'm more car than audio freak when it comes to mobile sound so I like neo drivers for their size and weight advantage. The Aura buyouts or NS6-255-4A 6" Paper Cone Woofer 4 ohm make sense to me and are priced right. There's even an 8" Aura over at Madisound that would likely fit nicely in most lightly modified 6 1/2" door locations.

Comment

Since you're going with the NSW2s are you crossing low, like around 1-1.5 KHz? If so, I have a similar setup using the same Silver Flutes, a 2 X 4 MiniDSP and Dayton ND28 tweeters (de-flanged and other mods to fit in the stock tweeter housing). I'm in the process of replacing the Daytons with the SB29 neos that should handle the low xover point with more gusto.

I really like the Silver Flutes - they're very efficient and a lot of bang for the buck. I high pass them at 70-80 Hz using LR 24 dB/oct slopes. They're also not too deep (~ 3 in.) which was a consideration for my car.

My only concern for your setup would be the NSW2s. I tried them out and liked them, but they were just too inefficient and ran out of steam. I've seen some people use two per side to overcome that problem. Too complicated for me.

Of course you could join the other camp (Buwalda, et al) that claim you should crossover at 4 KHz or higher. That would open the door for a lot more tweeter choices. In that case I'd recommend the Tang Band W5-704D - also a very good price and you can cross it over very high (see Zaph's review on his site).

In any case, have fun and enjoy!
            Last edited by ernperkins; 01-21-2012, 05:34 PM. Reason: typo
            "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

I'll cast another vote for the Tang Band W5-704D. I think they'll provide a bit more midbass than the Silver Flutes.

Regarding the high xover point, I'm not in that camp. Most any 5-7" midbass will start to break up in that range (even the clean W5-704D which can run higher than most any midbass woofer has a hiccup up there). The only reason why it's more ok in a car is because the woofer is typically so far off-axis that the breakup is far less noticeable, but it doesn't mean it's not there. I think the recommendation to do so is really to cover an issue with the tweeter's capability to run lower (perhaps due to a high Fs, too much resonance, etc. due to the small package design of the "car" tweeter they use for their components). Bring this topic up on DIYMA though and there'll be a ton of monkey poo being thrown around.

The TB is still $30, so no savings over the Silver Flute but at least you don't have to pay for shipping if you pick up another few items from PE.
              I like the Vifa BC25SC06 tweeters. They're my favorite low-cost, small flange tweeter. Clean sound, smooth FR and not harsh.
              The Vifa XT25SC90 (small flange ring radiator) is also quite nice. I have that in my car now and it broadened the sound stage over the Morel tweeters I had in there before. However, I'll likely be putting the Morels back, but only because I plan to use the XT25s in a bookshelf.
              Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
              Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
              Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
              Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
              Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

I think you should go for the whispers/silverflute option. I havent found anyone who was unhappy with either, especially for the price. Run them active off of your two amps. More power, more dynamics and headroom. I believe you will be pleased and quite surprised.

Comment

Go with the 4 ohm version of that Silver Flute driver. I use four of those and I'm quite happy with them. Feed them well too - don't skimp on the power.

I'm not familiar with the tweeter you're planning to use. I'm using the Seas neos with mine.
                  Brian Steele
                  www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

I technically have no plans just yet on which tweeter to use. I have options, but that's about it.

I wanted a 6.5" driver since I can fit it in there. I may be able to fit an 8" speaker. I have a few pairs of the W5-704D as I used it in my Florians speakers, but that's a smaller driver and I want to move some air here. Zaph's measurement showed zero breakup, and said it can be crossed as high as one would want. These are going into a Chevy Cruze.

If I did go with an 8" driver, I could go with an 8" silver flute too. At 98W RMS per midbass, and 30W rms per driver, I should have more than enough power.

If the 2" NS driver isn't efficient enough, I'll have to find something else. Space is limited in my pillars, so a neo driver is a must.

Keep in mind, this is an active setup with a 31 band eq and any crossover slope I care to use up to a 4th order LR.
                    Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

Ive heard tales of the whispers pairing up nicely with the ns8. If you can fit it, I would go for it. For what I remember, they are about $20 each so youll easily be in your $100 budget. Larger cone, more air moved. Should give you a little bit more punch compared to a 6.5".

Comment

Originally posted by ameuba10 View Post
                        Ive heard tales of the whispers pairing up nicely with the ns8. If you can fit it, I would go for it. For what I remember, they are about $20 each so youll easily be in your $100 budget. Larger cone, more air moved. Should give you a little bit more punch compared to a 6.5".
                        Thanks. I'm pretty sure I can make that fit in my door with a bit of work, and cheaper is definitely good. I'll pick up the whispers too, since the price is pretty good on those and I can probably make them fit better than most other tweeters.

Edit: I checked out my door and I *may* be able to fit an 8" driver in there. the grille opening is certainly smaller than 8" though, but that should be alright since the actually distance from one surround to another is 7-1/8" and should fit inside there. I'll have to double check a few times, but it might work just fine. Crossing the Whisper driver a bit lower will certainly help.
                        Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

Nope, that NS8 probably isn't going to fit. I looked through the grille with a flashlight and the opening is smaller than the edge of the grille.

This however might fit quite nicely if I can clear a 3.75" mounting depth.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-332

If I buy from PE, I also have a large variety of 2" full range drivers, many of which are made by TangBand. I'll need to find out what I'm limited to with regard to mounting depth though.
                          Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

Does anyone have any experience with the full range 2" Tang Band drivers?
                            Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

Just checking, but did you take a look at PE's Aura 6200RPM 6-1/2" 2-way Coaxial Speaker?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...84&FTR=269-184
                              Last edited by mike s; 01-23-2012, 06:23 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

Working...
                              X