Feasibility of translamination cabinet idea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Feasibility of translamination cabinet idea

I think the way to do this is to use the bandsaw to get 90% of the way there, cut really close to the line, but not so close it slows you down. Make an indexing jig that also seconds as a router template and route to the final dimension. This will do two things, it will assure that your holes line up to the indexing jig, but will also assure that your parts are identical. Probably will need to do some climb cuts on the router though if using real wood and not mdf. Use double sided carpet tape to keep the part to the template.

Comment

Attached Files
      Dan N.

Comment

Dan, I really like that idea thanks for sharing. I tried out a few things last night and the reality of the scope of this project hit me. I'm still waiting on a CNC job quote but looking at your suggestion would definitely make things easier! With that approach I could then come back after glue up and use the router to cut out the "channels" for the baffles, that was the part that looking like it may be the biggest PITA.

Comment

Originally posted by CUtiger View Post
          Dan, I really like that idea thanks for sharing. I tried out a few things last night and the reality of the scope of this project hit me. I'm still waiting on a CNC job quote but looking at your suggestion would definitely make things easier! With that approach I could then come back after glue up and use the router to cut out the "channels" for the baffles, that was the part that looking like it may be the biggest PITA.
          With a proper jig, those can also be done on a table saw after the fact. I notched the top joint on the Ansonica this way, mostly because at the time I didn't jave a plate joiner and needed something to make sure the top didn't slip down under pressure due to the angle.

Either way, you're going to need to clean up the "notches" for the baffle/back after glue-up. The probability that it goes together 100% perfectly is on the low side.

C
          diVine Audio

Comment

Originally posted by cjd View Post
            With a proper jig, those can also be done on a table saw after the fact. I notched the top joint on the Ansonica this way, mostly because at the time I didn't jave a plate joiner and needed something to make sure the top didn't slip down under pressure due to the angle.

Either way, you're going to need to clean up the "notches" for the baffle/back after glue-up. The probability that it goes together 100% perfectly is on the low side.

C
            So you're saying theres a chance ;) Well I'm off in search of another lumber yard that is open on Saturdays, I'm bored and need to get started doing something...

Comment

Well actual progress made, got two sections that will eventually become the middle braces cut. Need to clean up some of the curves with the sander as I think it looks a bit too chunky now. Only 28 more layers left to go!!! Good news is I think my plan of using the flush trim bit is going to be a time saver, pretty quick and easy to just rough cut the second piece and normalize it with the router.

Second piece of good news was a box waiting for me on my doorstep when I got home with new ribbon tweeters!!!
              Attached Files

Comment

Well actual progress made, got two sections that will eventually become the middle braces cut. Need to clean up some of the curves with the sander as I think it looks a bit too chunky now. Only 28 more layers left to go!!! Good news is I think my plan of using the flush trim bit is going to be a time saver, pretty quick and easy to just rough cut the second piece and normalize it with the router.

Second piece of good news was a box waiting for me on my doorstep when I got home with new ribbon tweeters!!!
                That just HAS to sound good with those drivers. I recommend 1kHz and 5kHz for the xover points.

Later,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Looking forward to this!! Keep up the progress!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                    That just HAS to sound good with those drivers. I recommend 1kHz and 5kHz for the xover points.

Later,
                    Wolf
                    Wolf I believe you underestimate my ability to mess things up:rolleyes:. I'm probably going to borrow most of the crossover from the cantilenas and tweak as needed, probably just need to reduce the padding a little. Modelling shows that woofer should fall into the 950-1k crossover pretty easily. I figured it would be good to have a roadmap for my first three way with nice drivers.

Comment

So you're saying theres a chance ;)
                      :p

https://www.facebook.com/lowecustomguitar

www.lowecustomguitars.com

Comment

Working...
                      X