xo help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xo help

Anyone have a little spare time to design & draw an xo for me?

I am looking to make an mtm center channel out of these drivers:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...89&FTR=299-289

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-865

I pre-humbly thank you.
    If dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?

Re: xo help

I'd say the tweeter is a pretty decent choice, but the woofer has no published data other than T/S parameters. I could enter those values into Response Modeler and come up with an impedance plot, and then cross with a textbook filter based on the impedance at the desired crossover point, but I doubt that would be anything like satisfactory. I'd also postulate that that woofer is going to beam at a lower frequency than you'd like in a two way, so off axis will suffer accordingly. It looks like that Tang Band will cross fairly low, so that might help, but if it were me, I'd look for a smaller midwoof to minimize that problem.

Edit: That white dome on the tweet might be a visual distraction in a CC application, as well. Just a thought.

Mark
    You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

I'd like to help, but first here's a few commments:

1. Seems like you're pairing up a cheap woofer ($5) with an expensive tweeter ($33.50). Are you sure you don't want to buy better woofers, or maybe a slightly less expensive tweeter for this build? Sure it can be built this way... but I was just curious how you picked this combo?

2. Jeff's Passive Crossover Designer is the way to go. Trying to simply use the rated impedance with a standard filter formula is "hit or miss". With that said, we're missing some needed info for PCD. The tweeter has freq response and impedance curve but no phase is shown. And the woofers don't show FR, Phase, or impedance curve. So it's difficult to help you.

Think about comment #1 above, then post your thoughts and we'll go from there.

Maybe we can get someone on this forum to post their data on these two drivers?
      ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
      Sapphos
      Cables (Post #54)
      Other speakers (Post #21)
      Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
      Boundary Augmentation
      Dispersion/Interference

Comment

In line with Reiss' item # one I would suggest these two:
        295-330
        275-070
        About $5 more for the set but looks like they should match up well.IMO.
        Just food for thought.

Comment

Current cc: mtm of hivi m4n + TB 25-1719s tweeter.

My goal is to make a cc that is at least 'ok' on the cheap as I am still unemployed. Why?...

I just just finished putting time and effort into building a cc cab to match the looks of the rest of my speakers. What went wrong you say???
          1. my attempt to match the stain color of the other baffles did not work
          2. AFTER swapping the drivers out of the old cab into the new, I discovered one of the mids is blown! How, I do not know.
          3. Although the white dome on the tweeter seems to not shine, the gold of the hivi's do now that my new cab does not have a grill on it. So, I am getting two "eyes" staring at me from the shadows of my projection image.

So, I am looking for mids that are black, 4 to 5 inch, and "economic" for my now smaller income. These need a "wide projection" area of sound as they are located up and above a 92" screen about 11 feet away. I already own the TB tweeter mentioned.

Should have said all this when I posted the first time.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.

Maybe this mid woofer?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=299-278

I am not trying to skirt around your suggestions, just working my way up from the bottom.

Comment

I had that exact same thought, but still no FR data. If someone has measured .frd's, I'll be glad to take a crack at a xo for you, as I am also unemployed and actually have some time.:(

Mark

~Pink Floyd

Comment

That's also only going to go down to (optimistically) 80Hz or so, is that going to be ok for you? I personally don't have an issue with that, but some do.;)

Mark

~Pink Floyd

Comment

80hz should be fine. The sub is set to 80hz. Though I do tend to set the rest to 'big' so as to run them full range. I figure I don't need deep bass on the center.

Comment

Originally posted by the kid View Post
                    Thanks for the help guys.

Maybe this mid woofer?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=299-278

I am not trying to skirt around your suggestions, just working my way up from the bottom.
                    Interesting that you would pick this woofer... I did too. See picture below. I made a pair of these in oak for one daughter and another pair in Black Walnut for my other daughter. Very happy with the performance/ dollar. The tweeter is a Dayton neo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brittany Speaker - 1d.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1139096
                    ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
                    Sapphos
                    Cables (Post #54)
                    Boundary Augmentation
                    Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Originally posted by ReissM View Post
                      Interesting that you would pick this woofer... I did too. See picture below. I made a pair of these in oak for one daughter and another pair in Black Walnut. Very happy with the performance/ dollar. The tweeter is a Dayton neo.

[ATTACH]21071[/ATTACH]
                      Those are nice.

Comment

Here's the other pair (almost done) that will utilize the same woofer.

Name:	Stefi-1b.jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1139097

Name:	Stef - Black Walnut 1.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1139098
                        ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
                        Sapphos
                        Cables (Post #54)
                        Boundary Augmentation
                        Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Marty, do you have a .frd file that I can use? Where did you cross that? What is the modeled F3?

Thanks, I'd really like to help the kid here.

Mark

~Pink Floyd

Comment

I measured this woofer with Omni Mic, WT3 and used PCD to optimize everything. I could forward the FRD and ZMA files for the Woofer.

Not sure what you're going to do about FRD and ZMA for the Tang Band tweeter though.
                            ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
                            Sapphos
                            Cables (Post #54)
                            Boundary Augmentation
                            Dispersion/Interference

Comment

I'd appreciate that.

I'll just use the published FR and Z charts to make .frd and .zma files for the tweet. The whole thing will be subject to tweaking, as I always advise, but it will be a good start.

Oh, what are the baffle dimensions you used there?

Thanks again.

Mark

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Working...
                              X