Curved cabinet Overnight Sensation build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curved cabinet Overnight Sensation build

Rinnav was up here over the weekend, and we cut the parts for his Speedsters on my CNC router. He brought up his OS MTM's that he'd put in some very nice curved cabinets. The looked great and, of course, sounded great.

Here's the link to his thread.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=229387

It inspired me to try my hand at a pair. I'm going to use the same stacked construction method he used because it' well suited to CNC techniques.

I drew up some shapes on the CAD, and then started making test parts. My goal was to get a pleasing shape (to me), and to keep the internal volume the same as the original design using the prescribed baffle dimensions.

The overall dimensions of these are 13" X 7".

I'm going to need either 19 or 20 of these stacked to make up the proper internal volume.

My plan is to cut rough driver holes in the cabinets once they are all glued up, then put a finished baffle on the front. I'm toying with the idea of covering them with some sort of metallic high pressure laminate. My supplier is looking for something cool right now.

I'll need to stack the ports vertically, and I wonder if that will be a problem.

The next step is just to get some MDF in the shop and set the router to cutting a test cabinet. I'll update after I get that accomplished.
    Last edited by timk; 03-04-2012, 12:30 PM.
    www.timkulincabinetry.com

Re: Curved cabinet Overnight Sensation build

Originally posted by timk View Post
    I'll need to stack the ports vertically, and I wonder if that will be a problem.

The next step is just to get some MDF in the shop and set the router to cutting a test cabinet. I'll update after I get that accomplished.
    You don't even have to use 2 ports. You could use 1 larger port instead. You could make a slot port, which wouldn't be hard if you are using a CNC to cut your individual "slices"

The problem would be the mouth of the port (inside) in relation to the woofers. BUT, if you look at the OS-MTM from DIY sound group, they put both of the ports behind one woofer and that didn't seem to be much of a problem so.. you could probably get away with just about anything.
    -Dan
    Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

That is a really sleek shape. I can't wait to see the completed boxes.
      If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
      ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Comment

I would suggest that you cut holes in the layers for dowels to pass thru. This will help you keep them aligned during stack-up.
        Form does not follow function
        Form is simultaneous to function

Comment

Originally posted by lunchmoney View Post
          I would suggest that you cut holes in the layers for dowels to pass thru. This will help you keep them aligned during stack-up.
          Great idea.

Comment

A single 1 7/8" or 2" ID port would work well to replace the dual ports, just to give you an option.
            -Dan
            Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

Tim,

I will mess around with an enclosure program when I get home and give you an option for a single port. I looked at this when I was planning mine but decided to go with two--I can't remember what the final outcome was off hand. This ought to be really

How wide is it across the back of that lamination?
              Jason

"In my opinion, there are more tactful ways to state your opinion."

Comment

Originally posted by lunchmoney View Post
                I thought about doing that when I did my trans-lam but didn't have a CNC available--It would surely make alignment and glue easier. I was going to use triangulation with three in the main body (one on each side and one in center of the back). Three 1/4" hardwood dowels should be sufficient I would think.
                Jason

Comment

Rinnav was up here over the weekend, and we cut the parts for his Speedsters on my CNC router...
                  I guess I should get started on the Speedster build thread now:p
                  Jason

Comment

Originally posted by RINNAV View Post
                    Tim,

I will mess around with an enclosure program when I get home and give you an option for a single port. I looked at this when I was planning mine but decided to go with two--I can't remember what the final outcome was off hand. This ought to be really
                    That flat section at the rear is only 2 1/4" wide. If the port diameter exceeds that I'll have to fiddle with the design (again) to accommodate it. I might actually prefer the two stacked ports in that case. Due to the limitations of my cad software, it took a fair amount of trial and error to get this design to cut properly.

Comment

Originally posted by RINNAV View Post
                      I thought about doing that when I did my trans-lam but didn't have a CNC available--It would surely make alignment and glue easier. I was going to use triangulation with three in the main body (one on each side and one in center of the back). Three 1/4" hardwood dowels should be sufficient I would think.
                      I just happen to have about 100' of 1/4" diameter aluminum rod left over from a previous job and some special drills for the router that cut holes 0.005" over size.

Comment

I added the alignment holes and made tops/bottoms. I ran all the scrap we had in the shop but only got 8 of the required 19 slices to complete a cabinet. Still, as a proof of concept it worked fine.

The router is having trouble holding all the little corners that get left over, and it's catching them, running them into good parts and knocking them out of alignment. I may just have to turn them into dust so they don't interfere. I was lucky not to lose any parts, but there was a lot of dancing around the machine grabbing scraps before they could do damage. Scary stuff when you're not dead sure where it's moving next.

Comment

That flat section at the rear is only 2 1/4" wide. If the port diameter exceeds that I'll have to fiddle with the design (again) to accommodate it. I might actually prefer the two stacked ports in that case. Due to the limitations of my cad software, it took a fair amount of trial and error to get this design to cut properly.
                          Looking a various models and your 2.25" constraint, I would probably opt for the double vertical 1.375" (1.625" OD) ports too. Going to a single 2" would get pretty long and elbows would likely be needed. Not to mention the vent velocity...
                          Jason

Comment

Looks great! I can finally see the pics that I couldn't see before. Unique shape too. These are going to be stunning!

I think Rinnav is right, with that narrow back a 2" port just wouldn't fit. I could argue about the air velocity but it's a moot point. You should seriously think about increasing the internal volume a little- Paul C mentioned that the enclosure size is less than ideal. Even something like 12 Liters would give you a smoother, lower extension. How "high" would that make your speakers?

I'm thinking about attempting curved cabinets on my upcoming "high end" build, maybe I should talk to you about making the internal braces for it. The shape I'm considering is similar to that, but wider, and would probably need a brace right across the middle.

Is that 1" MDF you are using, or 3/4"?
                            -Dan

Comment

Originally posted by djkest View Post
                              I could argue about the air velocity but it's a moot point.
                              That's why I didn't reference any numbers so you could argue:p A couple of the models I did the vent velocity was reaching ~29 M/S (80W input)--a little high for my taste.
                              Jason

Comment

Working...
                              X