Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brand new car, Brand new project!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Brand new car, Brand new project!

    Hey guys, just scored this brand new 2008 Chevy Cobalt, and I'm ready to make it sound incredible! The stock system sounds alright but its got that kinda bass which all just sounds the same like a big muddy vibration. First I want to replace all the speakers: 6.5"s in the front 6"x9"s in the back. Then I'll probably end up throwing in my head unit from my grand am which I "traded in". As in the pictures, there are no other speakers in the car. I want to put some tweeters in the door panel up top by the windows. I was looking at a couple of the vifas that looked like they would work well. Basically I'm just posting this to let you all get creative so I have something to work with. I've been thinking about it a lot and I'm not sure how all the wiring and amplification is gonna work with all the different speakers so I'll probably get to that once I know what I'm gonna do, but I wanna keep the budget as low as possible while still getting great sound. I was looking at the Lanzar car speakers and I kinda wanna go with those, but I wanted to get some opinions first.

    And at some point I'm gonna light it up with some sure audio sync LED stuff!
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Re: Brand new car, Brand new project!

    Car audio is very individual specific, but the one thing that I can tell you is not to put the tweeters in the top of the door. Keep them as equal of a distance from you as possible, like in the lower part of the door.
    Example: top of the door 1.5ft to you from the left and 4ish feet to you from the right. btm of the door only about a foot difference.
    John

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Brand new car, Brand new project!

      Definatly upgrade head unit and speakers. Gm stock stereos are junk. Also if they try to sell you the gmrc adaptor (100$ :eek: at least it use to be) you don't need it unless you want to keep your door chimes.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Brand new car, Brand new project!

        The aura buyout speakers are pretty good if they have any left.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Brand new car, Brand new project!

          the aura buy outs are great 6.5" speakers!!!!! I have them in my 07 tundra with 2nos 4 channel sony mobile es amps. for tweets I'm using the vifa ne19vts-04. It sounds incradable
          "The defintion of Insanity is: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Albert Einstein

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Brand new car, Brand new project!

            Originally posted by mike15 View Post
            the aura buy outs are great 6.5" speakers!!!!! I have them in my 07 tundra with 2nos 4 channel sony mobile es amps. for tweets I'm using the vifa ne19vts-04. It sounds incradable
            You talking about the blue coned ones because the ones i am talking about are coaxial

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Brand new car, Brand new project!

              The Aura buy-out amps are a great deal too. The 5 channel model would power your fronts, rears, and a sub. They are a very solid piece of gear.
              http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=269-191

              Tom

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Brand new car, Brand new project!

                if your looking for amps, unfortunately, stay away from the AURA amps at PE.
                Aim your budget towards woofersetc.com

                Brands such as
                Audison
                Soundstream (reference line only)
                Higher level Alpine
                they have some other really nice units, make sure to check the clearance center because they have many great amps under $200.

                Here are some great examples. I know money is also a factor, but they are 1/3 the price of JL audio amps, with many better features.
                http://www.woofersetc.com/p-8189-ref...amplifier.aspx
                http://www.woofersetc.com/p-7746-ref...amplifier.aspx

                The recommendation for a 5 channel amp is a great thing to consider, very nice to work with

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Brand new car, Brand new project!

                  I've been looking at this tweeter for it's size, performance, and ratings; not sure of your definition of budget so I can't comment there, but it's worth a look:


                  Also, despite being the wrong size for every location in your car you may consider making adapters for these woofers. Again, not sure of your definition of budget, but they are very highly regarded:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Brand new car, Brand new project!

                    +10 for Soudstream as Rotech suggests.

                    I have had a 5 channel Soundstream for many years and it is still great! 25wx4 + 100wx1. Doesn't sound like alot, but coupled with 1 10" Infinity Kappa, I was hitting 130db per sound testing!
                    If dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Brand new car, Brand new project!

                      Originally posted by johnleewright View Post
                      Car audio is very individual specific, but the one thing that I can tell you is not to put the tweeters in the top of the door. Keep them as equal of a distance from you as possible, like in the lower part of the door.
                      Example: top of the door 1.5ft to you from the left and 4ish feet to you from the right. btm of the door only about a foot difference.
                      John
                      The higher the frequency, the more directional tweeters become. Think of a flashlight shooting out light in a very narrow cone. Locating the tweeters down low will not produce optimum results. You'll probably be more satisfied with the tweeters "shining" towards your ears, instead of your feet.

                      As for the path length difference (and the associated time delay) resulting from locating the tweeters up high, it's on the order of 3mS and not going to be a big problem.

                      The SPL difference will be an issue... but that's what the balance knob is for.
                      ~Marty

                      Baby Eidolons
                      Sapphos
                      Cables (Post #54)
                      Other speakers (Post #21)
                      Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
                      Boundary Augmentation
                      Dispersion/Interference

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Brand new car, Brand new project!

                        Originally posted by ReissM View Post
                        The higher the frequency, the more directional tweeters become. Think of a flashlight shooting out light in a very narrow cone. Locating the tweeters down low will not produce optimum results. You'll probably be more satisfied with the tweeters "shining" towards your ears, instead of your feet.


                        As for the path length difference (and the associated time delay) resulting from locating the tweeters up high, it's on the order of 3mS and not going to be a big problem.

                        The SPL difference will be an issue... but that's what the balance knob is for.
                        You dont aim them at your feet, you aim them at your ears. They are just lower.

                        The balance knob does work fine if you are the only one that is going to be riding in the car.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Brand new car, Brand new project!

                          Originally posted by ROTECH View Post
                          if your looking for amps, unfortunately, stay away from the AURA amps at PE.
                          Can I respectfully ask why? Not just because its our product but I've use these RPM model amps many times and they are excellent for the price.
                          Your results may vary.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Brand new car, Brand new project!

                            Originally posted by mattp View Post
                            Can I respectfully ask why? Not just because its our product but I've use these RPM model amps many times and they are excellent for the price.
                            Sorry, I should have clarified so it didnt seem so cut and dry. A few months back my buddy said I wanna buy some speaker stuff for my home and car...where should I shop. I said Parts Express of course!!!
                            He purchased some goldwood 12's and some buyout tweeters for a garage speaker. He also purchsed 2 AURA amps. Mono or 2ch, and a 4channel for his car. We got them all wired in, and your are correct- they do sound good for the money. They are surely better than the fly by night brands for equal cash. However, neither of us were satisfied by the overall product.
                            I swapped in an 11 year old Kenwood Excelon 404 for the doors, and a used and abused Kicker zx300.1 for the 2 10''. The performance from the latter combo was vastly improved, all other being equal. The Kenwood was purchased for $40used, and the Kicker for $55used. MSRP would not have been very different either. The performance ratio by stepping to one of the brands I recommended is well worth the extra money.
                            For any beginner-moderate car audio enthusiast- the AURA is a good value, and good quality from what I have read here. They have as accurate a power rating as one could expect at that price point ( no testing done ) If you want to step beyond that level, I feel sincerely that you could do a good amount better for not much more investment.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Brand new car, Brand new project!

                              Originally posted by ROTECH View Post
                              Sorry, I should have clarified so it didnt seem so cut and dry. A few months back my buddy said I wanna buy some speaker stuff for my home and car...where should I shop. I said Parts Express of course!!!
                              He purchased some goldwood 12's and some buyout tweeters for a garage speaker. He also purchsed 2 AURA amps. Mono or 2ch, and a 4channel for his car. We got them all wired in, and your are correct- they do sound good for the money. They are surely better than the fly by night brands for equal cash. However, neither of us were satisfied by the overall product.
                              I swapped in an 11 year old Kenwood Excelon 404 for the doors, and a used and abused Kicker zx300.1 for the 2 10''. The performance from the latter combo was vastly improved, all other being equal. The Kenwood was purchased for $40used, and the Kicker for $55used. MSRP would not have been very different either. The performance ratio by stepping to one of the brands I recommended is well worth the extra money.
                              For any beginner-moderate car audio enthusiast- the AURA is a good value, and good quality from what I have read here. They have as accurate a power rating as one could expect at that price point ( no testing done ) If you want to step beyond that level, I feel sincerely that you could do a good amount better for not much more investment.
                              Fair enough, It is very hard to beat the old school Kenwood, Kicker, Orion, Rockford etc stuff if you can find it for a good cost. These Auras are actually from 2002ish and IMHO are better than the vast majority of the stuff you find new these days. Car audio companies just don't build them like they used to.
                              Your results may vary.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X