Revel Performa3 Series, 2nd Quarter 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revel Performa3 Series, 2nd Quarter 2012

This is the most exciting thing that has happened in the audio world in the past 20 years: http://www.revelspeakers.com/News/Story/80

Featuring great new SB Acoustics drivers. Killer prices. And the best loudspeaker engineering in the world.

Cannot wait!

Re: Revel Performa3 Series, 2nd Quarter 2012

Originally posted by ridikas View Post
    This is the most exciting thing that has happened in the audio world in the past 20 years. And the best loudspeaker engineering in the world.
    Grossly overstated.
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

To achieve their superior sound quality, Revel Performa3 loudspeakers deploy proprietary drivers throughout. The 1-inch pure-aluminum-dome tweeters deliver airy, extended high-frequency response to beyond 20kHz, with superlative detail and clarity. The tweeters operate into an exclusive Acoustic Lens Waveguide that is precisely shaped for optimum imaging and horizontal and vertical dispersion both on-and off axis.
      So the new SB accoustics drivers are aluminum cone?

So SB Acoustics has a new poly line, the "old" paper/fiber cones, and new aluminum cones?
      -Dan
      Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

This is the most exciting thing that has happened in the audio world in the past 20 years: http://www.revelspeakers.com/News/Story/80

Featuring great new SB Acoustics drivers. Killer prices. And the best loudspeaker engineering in the world.

Cannot wait!
        I thought the previous Revel speakers used their own drivers in their speakers systems. This seems to be a shift in company strategy

Comment

This is the most exciting thing that has happened to me in the past 20 years: http://www.revelspeakers.com/News/Story/80

Cannot wait!
          Fixed it for you.
          "We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true."
          –Robert Wilensky

Comment

Cannot wait!
            Curt's Speaker Design Works

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
            - Aristotle

Comment

Yup, SB will have a brand new all aluminum line later this year. They are quickly becoming one of the most interesting driver manufacturers out there. I'm also extremely excited that Revel is using someone else's drivers and not their own. I've always found Revel's drivers to be a bit hard and dry (even though they all had shorting rings, copper sleeves, neodymium magnets, etc.) compared to the offerings from Seas and ScanSpeak. Here are some pictures for you all:

Comment

Don't get too excited, chances are they are not off-the-shelf SB units.
                Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Lol Lol

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                    Don't get too excited, chances are they are not off-the-shelf SB units.
                    +1...
                    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

I'm not too worried that those will not be off the shelf SB drivers. I think it's a given that they won't be anyway. At the super low prices that Revel is asking for these speakers and if they sound good to my ears, I'll just simply buy them

It would be near impossible to DIY the Revels for the same cost as their retail. The amount of engineering and testing that goes on in building the Performa3 line is unattainable by even all of us put together.

Comment

I'm not too worried that those will not be off the shelf SB drivers. I think it's a given that they won't be anyway. At the super low prices that Revel is asking for these speakers and if they sound good to my ears, I'll just simply buy them

It would be near impossible to DIY the Revels for the same cost as their retail. The amount of engineering and testing that goes on in building the Performa3 line is unattainable by even all of us put together.

Wow, just when I was starting to think you had gotten your head on straight, you post something as nonsensical as this statement. I guarantee that a large portion of the greats on this board can (and do) individually exceed both the engineering AND the testing of those speakers. What they cannot match is the manufacturing scale, but I'm pretty comfortable putting DoubleTap's VaporAudio offerings, among a LOT of others, up against your precious Revels.

I'm done with even considering anything that you might have to say.

Mark
                        You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

So $400 worth of materials in a $1700 speaker and DIY can't touch that? (talking about the 2-way bookshelf speakers). Lets see- $60 woofer, $50 tweeter, cheap plastic waveguide, inexpensive crossover components, and chinese made cabinets... yep. I have passed the notion that just because a big company does something they must be super-well informed and well-intentioned.
                          -Dan
                          Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

Did you say chinese made cabinets? I guess Ridikas won't be getting them after all...
                            "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                            exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Except for the custom face plates/bezels they look pretty pedestrian to me . . . no different from a lot of the builds here, and less interesting than some. Speakers in boxes. Without even the benefit of RAAL . . .

Somebody is easily excited by a glossy advertising brochure . . .
                              "It suggests that there is something that is happening in the real system that is not quite captured in the models."

Comment

Working...
                              X