Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possibly new cabinet idea

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Possibly new cabinet idea

    So a couple years ago we tore out some nasty carpet and crummy linoleum in the kitchen/dining room and replaced it with tile. We did the research and did 420 square feet of tile ourselves.

    Anyway, the process of preparing the floor for tile was interesting to me. On top of the 3/4" OSB subfloor, I put down mortar and then covered it with 1/4" cement board and screwed it down with a (large amount) of special screws. On top of this goes more mortar and then tile, and finally grout. The idea is that the cement board layer is very stiff (and heavy, I might add) and reducing flexing in the subfloor, especially around joints.

    So anyway, had this idea for walls and back of a speaker cabinet.

    Start with 1/2" baltic birch or OSB. You'd have to build the whole cabinet complete with internal bracing before the next steps. Slather on the mortar, attach and screw down the cement board, tape the joints, etc. You can finish this off with more mortar and tile. Any type of tile- slate, polished granite, marble, etc. It could look pretty awesome I think, especially if you did good work on the tile. I think our tile was 3/8" thick porcelain tile, very strong and heavy.. very heavy. I think 10 tiles (10 square feet) weighs 26 lbs. So anyway, with 1/2" OSB or plywood starting out, you are talking a minimum of 1.25" thick, but probably more like 1.5" thick.

    It would be very heavy, very stiff, and could look fairly slick. It wouldn't be that expensive either. You could do any number of interesting things for the front panel, including solid granite.
    -Dan
    Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

  • #2
    Re: Possibly new cabinet idea

    Interesting idea. I like it...

    ... but I might be worried that the mortar would develop cracks over time from the constant vibrations.

    I don't have enough experience with tile, mortar, grout etc... to make an informed decision on how it would hold up in the long term. Does anybody else have experience in this regard?

    One more question... would this be considered a variation of the "constrained layer damping" concept?
    ~Marty

    Baby Eidolons
    Sapphos
    Cables (Post #54)
    Other speakers (Post #21)
    Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
    Boundary Augmentation
    Dispersion/Interference

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Possibly new cabinet idea

      I forgot to mention a part of my "idea". You would want to use the polymer-infused mortar, sometimes called "Flexbond" which is much more crack resistant.

      Such as this:
      http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

      I think the 1/4" cement board comes in 3x5 sheets for $8. A huge bucket of cement board screws is $20. Thinset/mortar is $20-30 for a huge bag. Marble, granite, and other interesting tiles in 12x12 size are $3-8 each. Grout is pretty cheap.

      Cutting tile can be interesting- made much easier with a good tilesaw and a good blade. I'm not positive what the process is for cutting solid stone tile since I didn't do that.

      Cement board in and of itself is an interesting product. It's got fibers in it, possibly fiberglass. It's stiff but not invincible, it's somewhat brittle.
      -Dan
      Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Possibly new cabinet idea

        There are already a lot of "constraint layer" constructed enclosures around TT. Look for BillSchu's MOAB. The bass section began with MDF, then was completely lined with mortar then ceramic tile. Very nice enclosure design if I do say so myself.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Possibly new cabinet idea

          I know Rudy Jakubin has used concrete backer board for internal wall treatment. The extra mass really deadens the walls.
          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
          Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

          95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Possibly new cabinet idea

            Originally posted by djkest View Post

            Start with 1/2" baltic birch or OSB. You'd have to build the whole cabinet complete with internal bracing before the next steps. Slather on the mortar, attach and screw down the cement board, tape the joints, etc.
            I would skip the "slater of mortar" step. I believe the cement board comes in different thickness, use the thick stuff (1/2 or 3/4)". I would glue and screw the cement board to the cabinet.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Possibly new cabinet idea

              Bob Brines uses backer board in his cabs.

              http://brinesacoustics.com/Pages/Art...struction.html
              I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
              OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
              Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
              Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
              Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
              LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Possibly new cabinet idea

                Originally posted by Modmark View Post
                I would skip the "slater of mortar" step. I believe the cement board comes in different thickness, use the thick stuff (1/2 or 3/4)". I would glue and screw the cement board to the cabinet.
                Actually, replace the "slather with mortar" step with application of roofing repair film to form a classic CLD sandwich. Then cross-brace to the tile / cement board. Works very well for me!

                HAve fun,
                Frank

                PS remember, no one can see the tile inside, so pretty cuts are optional

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Possibly new cabinet idea

                  Originally posted by djkest View Post

                  So anyway, had this idea for walls and back of a speaker cabinet.

                  Start with 1/2" baltic birch or OSB. You'd have to build the whole cabinet complete with internal bracing before the next steps. Slather on the mortar, attach and screw down the cement board, tape the joints, etc. You can finish this off with more mortar and tile. Any type of tile- slate, polished granite, marble, etc. It could look pretty awesome I think, especially if you did good work on the tile. I think our tile was 3/8" thick porcelain tile, very strong and heavy.. very heavy. I think 10 tiles (10 square feet) weighs 26 lbs. So anyway, with 1/2" OSB or plywood starting out, you are talking a minimum of 1.25" thick, but probably more like 1.5" thick.

                  It would be very heavy, very stiff, and could look fairly slick. It wouldn't be that expensive either. You could do any number of interesting things for the front panel, including solid granite.
                  I bet they'd make a great match as bathroom speakers. :D

                  One can go to great lenghts to dampen cabinet resonances. Just look at the early B&W matrix cabinet designs. At some point, however, the law of diminishing returns prevails.
                  Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Possibly new cabinet idea

                    Aren't there some designs out there that call for things like asphalt roofing tiles to line the insides too?

                    -Nate

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Possibly new cabinet idea

                      Pink Stucco speakers. Sorry, it just jumped into my mind.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X