Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deadhorse Build Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Deadhorse Build Thread

    I've already documented my Test Box build for this speaker HERE so you can flip through that if you want.

    This thread is where I'm going to document my initial crossover designs (with just the parts I have on hand) and later on with measurements and a mostly unlimited budget (right now, I'm willing to throw as much money as I need to to finish these SoB's) for crossover parts.

    Here's what I rigged up today, I've listened to it for a few minutes and it sounds alright.





    None of the parts got hot, the amp got warm (not uncommonly warm), and I had it turned up about as loud as I could.

    Woofer's crossover is right around 3.1kHz BW4 and tweeter's is 4.2kHz BW4 with a [rather] generous BBC dip (not intentional, just happened, at least I admit it)

    I'll be ordering my measuring equipment on the 15th and then I'll start pulling my hair out :D



    Attached Files

    रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
    return to the source
    leviathan system thread
    deadhorse thread
    shockwave build thread

    instagram :: greywarden_13

    in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

  • #2
    Re: Deadhorse Build Thread

    WOOT WOOT! Can't wait to see how your adventure turns out!
    Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Deadhorse Build Thread

      legos?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Deadhorse Build Thread

        Nice box of crossover parts. Mine used to look something like that, then I got tired of searching for a particular value, and got medium size food storage containers and labeled them: RES .5 - 2.0, CAP 1 - 4, etc. Helps my sanity greatly, and I can review the containers to replenish my spares stocks when I make a big PE order.

        My eyes started to cross, and I felt dizzy looking at that woofer crossover. wow - lots of parts! Expect everything to change when you can measure actual FR - sure did for me.

        I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
        "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

        High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
        SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
        My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

        Tangband W6-sub

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Deadhorse Build Thread

          Originally posted by Sidi View Post
          legos?
          Hell yeah LEGOS :D

          रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
          return to the source
          leviathan system thread
          deadhorse thread
          shockwave build thread

          instagram :: greywarden_13

          in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Deadhorse Build Thread

            Originally posted by donradick View Post
            Nice box of crossover parts. Mine used to look something like that, then I got tired of searching for a particular value, and got medium size food storage containers and labeled them: RES .5 - 2.0, CAP 1 - 4, etc. Helps my sanity greatly, and I can review the containers to replenish my spares stocks when I make a big PE order.

            My eyes started to cross, and I felt dizzy looking at that woofer crossover. wow - lots of parts! Expect everything to change when you can measure actual FR - sure did for me.
            Yeah they were just in a box, lol. I sorted them out and made a list before I started simming this morning.

            It took me like 30-45min just to get the woofer parts arranged, haha. If I change the value on any of those parts, everything goes crazy, so I know they're all required

            रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
            return to the source
            leviathan system thread
            deadhorse thread
            shockwave build thread

            instagram :: greywarden_13

            in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Deadhorse Build Thread

              I hope you have the appropriate Michael Jackson song on tap to celebrate completion of this particular project... ;)

              That's some funky crossover happenings.
              diVine Audio

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Deadhorse Build Thread

                Originally posted by cjd View Post
                I hope you have the appropriate Michael Jackson song on tap to celebrate completion of this particular project... ;)

                That's some funky crossover happenings.
                Which song??

                I build my crossovers like I build my LEGO space ships, just stick random pieces in it, until it looks right :o

                रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                return to the source
                leviathan system thread
                deadhorse thread
                shockwave build thread

                instagram :: greywarden_13

                in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Deadhorse Build Thread

                  Originally posted by greywarden View Post
                  Yeah they were just in a box, lol. I sorted them out and made a list before I started simming this morning.

                  It took me like 30-45min just to get the woofer parts arranged, haha. If I change the value on any of those parts, everything goes crazy, so I know they're all required
                  Ok, next question?
                  How are you connecting your test crossover components?
                  12 inch alligator clip test leads, wire nuts, alligator clips ?

                  I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                  "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

                  High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                  SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                  My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

                  Tangband W6-sub

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Deadhorse Build Thread

                    Originally posted by greywarden View Post
                    Which song??
                    What is it you do with a dead horse?

                    Beat It!

                    :D
                    diVine Audio

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Deadhorse Build Thread

                      Originally posted by cjd View Post
                      What is it you do with a dead horse?

                      Beat It!

                      :D
                      Thanks a lot, now all I have in my head is Wierd Al Yankovic singing his parody "Eat It" :D.

                      I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

                      High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

                      Tangband W6-sub

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Deadhorse Build Thread

                        Originally posted by cjd View Post
                        What is it you do with a dead horse?

                        Beat It!

                        :D
                        I've been beating this thing for almost a year and a half, haha.

                        रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                        return to the source
                        leviathan system thread
                        deadhorse thread
                        shockwave build thread

                        instagram :: greywarden_13

                        in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Deadhorse Build Thread

                          Originally posted by donradick View Post
                          Ok, next question?
                          How are you connecting your test crossover components?
                          12 inch alligator clip test leads, wire nuts, alligator clips ?
                          I got (2) sets of gator clip test leads on amazon for like $2-3 and stuck them onto an order, super duper handy. I use the red/black for +/-, the green for -, and the yellow for +, and the white to connect series parts, or fill in when I run out of others, I used them all for this one, haha

                          रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                          return to the source
                          leviathan system thread
                          deadhorse thread
                          shockwave build thread

                          instagram :: greywarden_13

                          in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Deadhorse Build Thread

                            Originally posted by greywarden View Post
                            I've been beating this thing for almost a year and a half, haha.
                            I think I heard some wind lol:D

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Deadhorse Build Thread

                              Originally posted by greywarden View Post
                              I got (2) sets of gator clip test leads on amazon for like $2-3 and stuck them onto an order, super duper handy. I use the red/black for +/-, the green for -, and the yellow for +, and the white to connect series parts, or fill in when I run out of others, I used them all for this one, haha
                              I hope they are better than the ones PE sells. I curse those everytime I prototype a crossover

                              I would be very curious to see how close your measurements come to your sims.

                              Feels good to get crackin', don't it?
                              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X