X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greywarden
    replied
    Re: Adjustable speaker stands

the tlt might work if you have "front high" speakers through Audyssey dsx or dolby pl2z

Leave a comment:

• timk
    replied

Those are all excellent ideas that I will incorporate in revision C. I may delete the tilt if it proves problematic.

I'll continue with MDF because my CNC doesn't like hardwood very much, and I'm too lazy to go back to the table saw.

Originally posted by marvin View Post
    Very nice, Tim!

Your design looks like it will work very well, but if I were to build it, I would try something a little different......

I would mount the external "tube" on the base so that the narrower inner post would be attached to the speaker shelf. That is the opposite of your implementation, but would look more stable / strong to me. You could still fashion an adjustable joint at the top similar to what you have now. Anyone who doesn't need the tilt adjustment can build it without the knuckle.

I would also drill my peg holes in the back of the external tube so they penetrate the inner post but not all the way through. They would then be out of sight from the front view even when the post is extended. Just my musings....your work looks very nice, too. Once you settle on your final design, I could imagine building them out of different contrasting hardwoods

Marv

Leave a comment:

• marvin
    replied

Very nice, Tim!

Your design looks like it will work very well, but if I were to build it, I would try something a little different......

I would mount the external "tube" on the base so that the narrower inner post would be attached to the speaker shelf. That is the opposite of your implementation, but would look more stable / strong to me. You could still fashion an adjustable joint at the top similar to what you have now. Anyone who doesn't need the tilt adjustment can build it without the knuckle.

I would also drill my peg holes in the back of the external tube so they penetrate the inner post but not all the way through. They would then be out of sight from the front view even when the post is extended. Just my musings....your work looks very nice, too. Once you settle on your final design, I could imagine building them out of different contrasting hardwoods

Marv

Leave a comment:

• timk
    replied

I did a little redesign of the outer sliding section to make them less bulky looking and to improve the clamping force. I think they look a little nicer, but they really clamp better now.

Nick, I don't necessarily need my speakers to follow me, but I have toyed with the idea of a remote rotater thingey. I hate trying to get speakers positioned and constantly jumping up to fiddle with them.

Leave a comment:

• NickJ
    replied

Awesome stands, I like the design a lot. Now, for your next challenge, integrate a kinect and write a program so that the speakers orient towards you.

I'll wait.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied

Tim, that's a good idea. I like the tilting feature as well, although I felt a little nervous looking at it. I'm sure they will get tight enough to not tilt over.

I really like the cabinets with the multi laminations. It's almost a shame to cover them up. I like your rolling table as well. I've recently purchased some iron casters for tables I'm going to build in my basement as well.

Nice stuff man!

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• fbov
    replied

Originally posted by timk View Post
    I'm in the midst of a pair of OS's, and this morning I had an idea for a pair of adjustable speaker stands. ...That mechanism needs some sort of friction washer inside as I don't get quite enough clamping force. I have nylon washers in there now which are exactly the wrong thing....
    Friction washer or a lock washer of the star type (not split ring). I've made parallelogram mounts for binoculars, and while most everything's balanced, you can't balance bino's of different weight, yet (in this case) need smooth movement when desired.

In this case you want it to lock, making a star lock washer a likely success path.

HAve fun,
    Frank

Leave a comment:

• djkest
    replied

Being height and tilt adjustable is a really good thing! Nice idea.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

Wow! Nice work!

Leave a comment:

• ROTECH
    replied

I'm not worthy!!!

Nice build. I'm not sure if the cabinets make the stands look amazing or if the stands make the cabinets look amazing.

Leave a comment:

• timk
    started a topic Adjustable speaker stands

Adjustable speaker stands

I'm in the midst of a pair of OS's, and this morning I had an idea for a pair of adjustable speaker stands. They totally derailed the progress on the speakers.

Speaker thread is here:http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=229889

Obviously they adjust for height. 2" increments. They're also adjustable for tilt. That mechanism needs some sort of friction washer inside as I don't get quite enough clamping force. I have nylon washers in there now which are exactly the wrong thing.

I may rebuild the outer telescoping section out of 1/2" MDF to reduce the clunky feel.

I'll do something cool for the height pins. Right now, they are just 1/2" dowels to see how it works.

Working...
X