Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overnight Sensations compared to EPI 100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overnight Sensations compared to EPI 100?

I am looking to build Overnight Sensations (MTM version) and would like to know if anybody had a chance to compare them to vintage EPI 100 speakers. The OS would be powered by 2x16W Marantz receiver and sit in a 17x20ft living room.

Thanks.

Re: Overnight Sensations compared to EPI 100?

Originally posted by drabina View Post
    I am looking to build Overnight Sensations (MTM version) and would like to know if anybody had a chance to compare them to vintage EPI 100 speakers. The OS would be powered by 2x16W Marantz receiver and sit in a 17x20ft living room.

Thanks.

Are the 100's the 2-ways with a 6.5" woofer running full-range and a 10uF cap on the tweeter? If so, I have experience with those EPI's vs another DIY design, Lou C.'s Topaz. A friend had his EPI's since new, not a bad-sounding speaker by itself. I told him I could use a DIY design in those boxes, giving him a better overall SQ. Since the Topaz volume recommendation and the EPI cabinet size were similar, he let me re-do the EPI's. He was quite skeptical, until I brought over a pair of Wayne J.'s DBP 2-ways for a side-by-side. He had never heard any other speakers in comparison to those before, but he was impressed with the SQ differences we heard and gave me the go-ahead. The Topaz is an older design, using some buy-out drivers, but the SQ difference between the original and the re-do was night and day. Most noticeable was the improved imaging, smoother balance between the mids and highs and much more clarity in the midrange and high end. Obviously, a completely different speaker regarding driver compliment and XO design, but I would think that with the OS being a newer design with good quality drivers & excellent XO implementation (and the rave reviews they've received), you could expect a similar improvement regarding the SQ that we experienced between the stock EPI's and the Topaz. Nice thing about the original EPI's was that the cabinets were solid and had good build-quality compared to a lot of commercial speakers of similar size and configuration. Which made them good candidates for a re-purpose. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the SQ differences and improvements compared to the EPI design. Good luck, let us know if you need any help or have questions. The OS variants are well documented, so you should be able to find what you need if any ?'s come up.

John A.
    "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
    Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
    Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
    Pioneer TX-9500 II
    Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
    Statement Monitors
    Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
    Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
    Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Thank you for replying and the information you have provided. My EPI 100s (and all others I have come across) have 8" woofer but I think we are talking about the same speaker. 10uF cap as the only part in the crossover, sealed design, inverted dome tweeter, etc.

I've asked the original question because I have been thru few pairs of speakers and so far EPIs are the keepers. I have not yet come across a better bookshelf speaker that would be a better match to my 2216 Marantz receiver. Kinda surprised by your observations, but I do believe that DIY speakers can sound better than retail versions. I was looking at the Overnight Sensations because my wife complains about the EPI looks. The OS MTM version definitely look better and if they also sound better, I may give them a shot.

Comment

john, I think you were working with M50's, the M100's little brother....

Comment

Originally posted by michiganpat View Post
          john, I think you were working with M50's, the M100's little brother....

My memory should be better on this and I think you're right. The ones my friend had were the 6.5" woofer and the inverted dome tweeter that had the aliminum faceplate, about a .4 or .5 ft3 box, sealed. I know there were different versions and a few different tweeters were used. All the ones I've seen and listened to had the 1st order XO and that familiar 10uF cap on the tweeter. I'm going to go to the Human Speakers web-site again to re-acquaint myself with the various versions. Thanks for the heads-up.

John A.
          "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
          Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
          Pioneer TX-9500 II
          Statement Monitors
          Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3

Comment

I did not know that there were M50s. Human speakers show the crossover to have 1 resistor and 1 capacitor. My 100s only have the capacitor in the crossover as I do not have the optional pot.

Comment

Thank you for replying and the information you have provided. My EPI 100s (and all others I have come across) have 8" woofer but I think we are talking about the same speaker. 10uF cap as the only part in the crossover, sealed design, inverted dome tweeter, etc.

I've asked the original question because I have been thru few pairs of speakers and so far EPIs are the keepers. I have not yet come across a better bookshelf speaker that would be a better match to my 2216 Marantz receiver. Kinda surprised by your observations, but I do believe that DIY speakers can sound better than retail versions. I was looking at the Overnight Sensations because my wife complains about the EPI looks. The OS MTM version definitely look better and if they also sound better, I may give them a shot.

I don't think you'll be disappointed and you'll find also that many of the feel-good qualities that make a well-designed speaker enjoyable to listen to are present in the OS MTM's. Not saying that the EPI's don't have those qualities, but my friend, who is admittedly not anywhere close to a listening expert when it comes to speakers, was quite surprised at the differences also. We had many hours of listening pleasure with the EPI's and his old 1970-something Sansui receiver. I found them to be non-fatiguing and smooth. Good clean high end w/o any harshness. The Topaz definitely kicked it up quite a few notches. When you closed your eyes, it was difficult to localize the Topaz. Very transparent with a soundfield that went beyond the physical placement of the speakers. Is the 2216 one of the mid-70's model? A friend had one, a 1977 model, absolutely beautiful, with a SQ to match. It had that script writing on the front and a blue display/FM scale. I think it had about 15-20 watts per channel, but it sure didn't sound like it "only" had that much. He paired it with some Large Advents and a Garrard turntable. My old Yamaha CR-420 receiver is from that era, too, with 22 watts per channel. I bought it in 1977 and I still have it. It works wonderfully and sounds excellent to this day. I use to knock folks over with the CR-420 and my Speakerlab S2's. They could not believe it was rated at 22 watts per channel. I know that wife-approval is important, so if she likes the look of the OS MTM, you're in. A lot of wives won't tolerate anything bigger than a bose cube AFA speakers go, so you've got that hurdle covered. Hope to see pix of your build and eventual listening impressions.

John A.
              Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
              Pioneer TX-9500 II
              Statement Monitors

Comment

I think the 2216 Marantz is a mid-70 model with only 16W per channel. Though like you said, it does sound like more. Mine is completely recapped with LEDs so the the sound is great and blue glow is amazing. My EPIs are awaiting to be recapped and I should also do something to spruce the cabinets a bit. Unfortunately, one has a water damage so I may need new cabs. I also have Yamaha CR-400. All original. Not as warm as the Marantz but also a pleasure to listen to. This one awaits power board recap. Already have all the parts but no time to do it.

And you are absolutely right about what wives like. She would rather have small, nice looking speakers than good SQ. That's why she picks the interior/exterior color and I pick the car for her. We just can't agree about the stereo setup though.

Comment

Thanks.
                  The 8-inch EPI woofer has a 19mm voice coil winding and 6 mm top plate. That will put one way displacement of 6.5 mm about twice that of the HiVi 4 inch woofer. In addition, EPI 100 is sealed while OS is vented. Therefore, there is substantial difference between EPI 100 and OS. One thing I learned about vintage speakers especially sealed ones is that they are voiced very differently from the modern designs and they tend to sound better at a healthy volume. At low volume vintage may sound flat and lacking definition. My 5 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by ligs View Post
                    One thing I learned about vintage speakers especially sealed ones is that they are voiced very differently from the modern designs and they tend to sound better at a healthy volume. At low volume vintage may sound flat and lacking definition. My 5 cents.
                    Thanks for reply. The OS would be used in a living room at low to normal listening volumes. Based on your observations, OS should be good at that. It is also true that the EPI 100s are singing when pushed a bit louder than normal listening levels. Though in my case that rarely happens.

Comment

Originally posted by ligs View Post
                      The 8-inch EPI woofer has a 19mm voice coil winding and 6 mm top plate. That will put one way displacement of 6.5 mm about twice that of the HiVi 4 inch woofer. In addition, EPI 100 is sealed while OS is vented. Therefore, there is substantial difference between EPI 100 and OS. One thing I learned about vintage speakers especially sealed ones is that they are voiced very differently from the modern designs and they tend to sound better at a healthy volume. At low volume vintage may sound flat and lacking definition. My 5 cents.
                      FWIW, most vintage acoustic suspension speakers were also designed without baffle step compensation, and were meant to be put up against the wall, in a bookshelf, or in a corner, wheras IIRC the OS MTM with it's rear facing port really wants to be at least about a foot away from the wall. dunno if you can change that by moving the ports to the front...

Comment

You are right! Most of them were meant for placement into a 2 PI enviroment, like on a bookshelf with books flush with the sides of the speakers

Comment

Working...
                        X