the REDWOODS (I finally named them)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the REDWOODS (I finally named them)

I was struggleing to come up with a name when my wife looked at me ad said "they look like giant red wood trees"..........That was it. the name stuck.

I only have the one completed.... well, almost. I'm going to let the lacquer cure for a week then wet sand and buff. The black boxes on botom are going to house a ten inch sub with a few passives, but that might be a while down the road.

I just want to see if anyone has any advice on the wet sand/ buffing process? Like I said I will wait a week to let cure. Then I plan on using 600 grit all the way up to 1200 then buff with scratch remover and a high speed buffer. I've never attempted this with lacquer before so any tips would be apperciated
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mike15; 02-18-2012, 06:29 PM. Reason: Oops!
    "The defintion of Insanity is: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Re: the REDWODS (I finally named them)

look nice. glad the wife aproves.
    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

In the title you wrote Red WODS, you might want to correct it before you wife notices ;)

Comment

Sorry, no advice on your finishing problem, but...

Hells yes! That's the stuff, right there!

Zach

Comment

If you can pick either Wolf's or Johnny Richards' brains you might get some good info. I've seen some of their work and it is extremely nice. They're both good guys and have answered a lot of my "rudimentary" questions very patiently. I know there are others too that would probably be willing to help.
          Mike
          "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
          Bismarck, North Dakota
          My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
          My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Comment

Lacquer needs to cure for a couple of weeks or more, depending on temperature and humidity. Wet sanding will give you a nice smooth finish. First, you need to have plenty of finish to work with. Six to eight good coats of lacquer will be a good starting point. Depending on how smooth the initial coats of finish are, I'd probably start with 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Mix a little dish detergent with the water for the sanding process. Sand until smooth with the 800, move to 1000, then 1200, 1500, and finally 2000 grit. Make sure you remove all scratches left by the previous grit of sandpaper with each successive change to a finer paper. Follow with rubbing compound and finish with polishing compound.

Comment

Originally posted by NickJ View Post
              In the title you wrote Red WODS, you might want to correct it before you wife notices ;)
              Lol..... Their. All better and she's none the wiser..lol
              "The defintion of Insanity is: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Comment

Ok. Thought I fixed it but I didnt. Oh well

Comment

Very beautiful, and you have got me drooling for the dynamic range capabilities - but they are smaller than I thought - are the tweeters at ear height when seated?

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                  "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                  SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                  My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Re: the REDWOODS (I finally named them)

Originally posted by mike15 View Post
                    Ok. Thought I fixed it but I didn't. Oh well
                    Let's see if this helps, I changed the title on this post. Anyone replying to a previous post will probably also want to correct it as well

Originally posted by arlis_1957@yahoo.com View Post
                    look nice. glad the wife aproves.
                    I'm not sure if her comment on the speakers' appearance implies approval. I like them , but I don't think my wife would. :rolleyes:

Comment

I think you should call them "Red Wods" like the title says. lol
                      They look good though, congrats!

Comment

The color looks GREAT! And surprisingly, in your room they actually don't look too big. I hope you get years of enjoyment from them.
                        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

I hate you!!!! With all respect of course. Definitely my favorite project going!

Comment

Originally posted by bking View Post
                            Lacquer needs to cure for a couple of weeks or more, depending on temperature and humidity. Wet sanding will give you a nice smooth finish. First, you need to have plenty of finish to work with. Six to eight good coats of lacquer will be a good starting point. Depending on how smooth the initial coats of finish are, I'd probably start with 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Mix a little dish detergent with the water for the sanding process. Sand until smooth with the 800, move to 1000, then 1200, 1500, and finally 2000 grit. Make sure you remove all scratches left by the previous grit of sandpaper with each successive change to a finer paper. Follow with rubbing compound and finish with polishing compound.
                            WOW! Glad I asked, I only have 3 coats on. Guess its back to the basement for some more sprying. I pulled it out of the basement for the curing process. I figured its to cold down their and it would take forever. I will follow these instructions, but what's the dish soap for?????

Comment

Dish soap breaks the surface tension and carries away the slurry of the sanded finish better. Sand and buff at slow speed to avoid "burning" the lacquer. If you've ever burned a car hood or fender after repainting it, you'll understand the advice.:o

Comment

Working...
                              X