Please take a look at my 2.1 room response measurements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please take a look at my 2.1 room response measurements

After a long series of adjustments/measurements, here is what my room response looks like:

I have my AVR crossover set to 80 Hz, but the crossover dial on my Dayton plate amp rolled all the way down to 40 Hz. Sub response is in green, mains in orange, and summation in blue.

The spike @ 45 Hz is present no matter what I do. There appears to be lots of room gain below 100 Hz; I tried setting the AVR to 100 Hz, but that sounded anemic to me.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Things sound pretty good! but my understanding of how to set everything up is still a work in progress
    Attached Files

Re: Please take a look at my 2.1 room response measurements

I wonder if that spike is simply room nodes coming into effect. Possibly moving the sub may reduce it some.
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by 50 watt head View Post
      I have my AVR crossover set to 80 Hz, but the crossover dial on my Dayton plate amp rolled all the way down to 40 Hz.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
      I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination... but I was thinking that your AVR is already filtering at 80 Hz... would it be better to not crank the Dayton's filter down to 40 Hz? Cascading multiple filters? Possible issue?

What happens when you turn the Dayton's filter all the way up and rely on the AVR to set the corner freq at 80Hz?

I'm just brainstorming with you... not sure that this is the correct direction to take, but it won't hurt anything to try it.
      ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
      Sapphos
      Cables (Post #54)
      Other speakers (Post #21)
      Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
      Boundary Augmentation
      Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Originally posted by ReissM View Post
        I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination... but I was thinking that your AVR is already filtering at 80 Hz... would it be better to not crank the Dayton's filter down to 40 Hz? Cascading multiple filters? Possible issue?

What happens when you turn the Dayton's filter all the way up and rely on the AVR to set the corner freq at 80Hz?

I'm just brainstorming with you... not sure that this is the correct direction to take, but it won't hurt anything to try it.
        Yep, I've tried it, and discovered that my AVR low-pass filter isn't very steep:

The three traces are three settings on my Dayton 240watt plate amp: blue is all the way down (40 Hz); green is halfway (~110 Hz); orange is all the way up (180 Hz).

Here is a comparison between the full responses using the 40 Hz (green) and 180 Hz (orange) settings:

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
          I wonder if that spike is simply room nodes coming into effect. Possibly moving the sub may reduce it some.
          That's what I was thinking, since it seems to be present regardless of setting or adjustments.

I haven't played around much with room placement -- mostly because I want to keep it hidden and out of the way in the corner (our room is pretty small).

Comment

Did you measure the mains alone?

Comment

Originally posted by 50 watt head View Post
              That's what I was thinking, since it seems to be present regardless of setting or adjustments.

I haven't played around much with room placement -- mostly because I want to keep it hidden and out of the way in the corner (our room is pretty small).
              Consider moving the couch forward by a foot.

Anyways, disable the built in HPF, you want overlap. It's extra headroom that can be equalized down. Set the AVR crossover to 100hz. lower the sub TRIM level by around 6-10db. Then measure and listen, of course.
              :blues: Flat frequency response, a smooth sound power response free of resonance, careful driver-integration, and high dynamic range both upward and downward :blues:

Comment

can you describe your room? what are your mains? 3-way ect? where exactly is your sub?
                " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Are your mains set to large? Try small with the dayton LP set to full. Then the avr will be doing all the crossing.
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm2...oSKdB448TTVEnQ

Comment

Originally posted by GranteedEV View Post
                    Consider moving the couch forward by a foot.
                    Unfortunately, not an option :( Our living room is really small.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                      can you describe your room? what are your mains? 3-way ect? where exactly is your sub?
                      Mains are my Gila 28 design (2-way, 831735 + RS28A).

Here's a drawring of our (cramped!) living room:

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ryanbouma View Post
                        Are your mains set to large? Try small with the dayton LP set to full. Then the avr will be doing all the crossing.
                        I'm not sure if my AVR has this option, but I'll check.

Comment

That's almost certainly a room node. Whenever you have a single frequency issue, do the math. In your case: 1127/44hz = about 26 ft. Dominant room nodes are usually equal to the longest clear diagonal in the room. I'm guessing that your kitchen adds another 10 feet to the back wall length. That would make the longest diagonal = SQRT (13^2 + 23^2) = about 26 ft. Is that the case? If so, the only way to get around it is to equalize the peak out or try a much different position for your sub - perhaps to the right of the couch.

-Bob
                          -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                          My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                          The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

I think it looks fine as-is, and 45hz peaking can add a lot of free visceral impact to movies, and it looks like your mains are capable of enough extension on their own to enjoy most music.
                            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBinGA View Post
                              That's almost certainly a room node. Whenever you have a single frequency issue, do the math. In your case: 1127/44hz = about 26 ft. Dominant room nodes are usually equal to the longest clear diagonal in the room. I'm guessing that your kitchen adds another 10 feet to the back wall length. That would make the longest diagonal = SQRT (13^2 + 23^2) = about 26 ft. Is that the case? If so, the only way to get around it is to equalize the peak out or try a much different position for your sub - perhaps to the right of the couch.
                              Bob, you have some spooky math skills! My tape measure confirms your prediction -- kitchen wall adds *exactly* 10 more feet of length to the back wall

Comment

Working...
                              X