Speaker kits with cabs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker kits with cabs?

Before I pull the trigger on the Overnight Sensations from DIY Sound Group website, I would like to know if there are any other speaker kits like that from other manufacturers? Just for comparison.

The requirement for the kit would be a complete box with speaker holes in the front baffle. I do not have any woodworking equipment that would allow me to make a nice cabinet. Buying drivers separately, soldering or finishing a box with veneer is another story. I can handle that.

I know PE has two or three kits that have baffles with holes but what about other kits? Interested mostly in bookshelf size speakers and would like to stay below $200 per speaker.

Thanks.

Re: Speaker kits with cabs?

Meniscus Audio also offers kits. http://meniscusaudio.com/kits-c-133.html
    Mike
    "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
    My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Comment

This.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...with-cabinets/

DIY sound is hard to beat, it is non profit.

Comment

Thanks for replies. Since I couldn't find any kits with boxes at Meniscus website, that leaves the following choices to me:

Zaph Audio ZA5.2
        Dayton BR-1S
        Nano Neo
        Overnight Sensation MTM

I am leaning toward OSMTM because I can finish them the way I want (read: make my wife happy picking veneer that matches rest of the furniture). That's of course unless one of the other speakers would be a better choice for stereo sound.

They are going to be driven by either Marantz 2216 (2x16W) or a DIY chipamp based on LM3875 that delivers about 40-45W per channel. Mostly with Marantz though. Source would be my HTPC (mp3s, stereo) or Pioneer turntable. 98% of the time the speakers will play stereo music. I do not have HT receiver and no plans to buy one. Movie playback is not important to me. Room is about 18x20 with one wall open to dining room. Low to moderate listening volumes.

Thanks.

Comment

If you can do the OS's, I'd go with that. I know Meniscus does have cabinets available, but they're not listed on the website. They are a great bunch of folks and their customer service is excellent, so if you called, they probably have cabinets with cut-outs/recesses for some kits they offer. Madisound is quite respected and their cabinets are very nice looking and well built. But I think for a more DIY build, the OS and it's matching flat pack puts the finish in your hands and with your wife picking out the veneer, you've got a sure winner with the ever-present WAF.

John A.
          "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
          Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
          Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
          Pioneer TX-9500 II
          Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
          Statement Monitors
          Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
          Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
          Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Selah Audio has some that use Parts Express boxes.
            http://selahaudio.com/id268.html

Comment

Originally posted by drabina View Post
              Thanks for replies. Since I couldn't find any kits with boxes at Meniscus website, that leaves the following choices to me:

Zaph Audio ZA5.2
              Dayton BR-1S
              Nano Neo
              Overnight Sensation MTM

I am leaning toward OSMTM because I can finish them the way I want (read: make my wife happy picking veneer that matches rest of the furniture). That's of course unless one of the other speakers would be a better choice for stereo sound.

They are going to be driven by either Marantz 2216 (2x16W) or a DIY chipamp based on LM3875 that delivers about 40-45W per channel. Mostly with Marantz though. Source would be my HTPC (mp3s, stereo) or Pioneer turntable. 98% of the time the speakers will play stereo music. I do not have HT receiver and no plans to buy one. Movie playback is not important to me. Room is about 18x20 with one wall open to dining room. Low to moderate listening volumes.

Thanks.
              Meniscus will make cabinets for your for any of their kits if you contact them about what you need. The pics below are Mandolin and Piccolo in cabinets made by Mensicus.

Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Working...
              X