Staticy noise and "thup thup" sound in my system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staticy noise and "thup thup" sound in my system

When nothing is playing I can hear a very soft buzzing noise.

This is accompanied by a soft "thup" sound, maybe around 100 hz, randomly... it's like "thup... thup thup thup... thup... thup thup."... etc... totally random.

Again, both the static and the "thup" are very soft, as soon as anything is playing you can't notice it.

I can hear it from all speakers (mains, center, surrounds, and sub), so that traces it back to the receiver at least.

It seems to do it on any input, so I don't think it's upstream of the receiver. All components are plugged into the same big power strip if that makes any difference. I recently unplugged the cable box (I don't have cable anymore) and the noise persisted.

What would cause this? Is this what power conditioners solve? Other ideas to solve?

Thanks
    Form does not follow function
    Form is simultaneous to function

Re: Staticy noise and "thup thup" sound in my system

The transmitter on my cell phone plays havoc with my reciever sometimes. This is normal. Also balasted lights can cause a hum CFLs or overhead tubes are good examples. put enough of them on your celing and you will get static instead of radio stations. Sorta cool unless you wanna listen to the radio. Is there a loose Rca cable hanging in the back or possibly a signal wire wrapped around a power wire? Is your wireless router in the same room? is your laptop or cordless phone transmitting a signal? Is there a Thinkgeek Annoy o tron hidden in your couch? think about what could be acting as an antenna and what could be "broadcasting" funny "noise" to your system" If none of this works blame the dog!

Comment

AC/DC on 7 or 8 should make that noise go away. :D

But seriously . . . start unplugging inputs until the sound goes away. If it never does, I'd say you have a problem with your amp.
      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by trainbufftony View Post
        Is there a loose Rca cable hanging in the back or possibly a signal wire wrapped around a power wire? Probably :rolleyes: Is your wireless router in the same room? YES... 2 feet away from the receiver, actually is your laptop or cordless phone transmitting a signal? Laptop is in same room, talks wirelessly to router. Same with iphone and ipad Is there a Thinkgeek Annoy o tron hidden in your couch? think about what could be acting as an antenna and what could be "broadcasting" funny "noise" to your system" If none of this works blame the dog!
        Answers in red ^

Comment

There are definitely lots of wireless signals flying around the room... ipad, iphone, bluetooth keyboard, Squeezebox, laptop, router...

And who knows what other signals from adjacent apartments.

So maybe something is acting like an antenna and picking up some noise.

And yes, the cables are a bit of a mess. Power lines, HDMI's, RCA's and optical cables all a glorious mess of spaghetti. Maybe I need to clean it all up a bit, and try to separate the power cords from the HDMI's and RCA's.

Comment

But seriously . . . start unplugging inputs until the sound goes away. If it never does, I'd say you have a problem with your amp.
            That would suck. I hope not. It would be pretty unusual for a Yamaha receiver.

Comment

Any time I've had static it was due to a dirty RCA connection. Pick up some Deoxit from Radio Shack.
              "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

The "antenna" theory makes a lot of sense...

The "thup... thup thup..." sound might correspond with packets of info being sent/received by the router.

Comment

Can WIFI signals cause noise for audio equipment? Wireless works in the 2.4 GHz radio band and up, so you would either need to have really good hearing to pick up noise at that frequency or an explanation of how it causes noise at lower freqs.

I was warned off using WIFI in my Voyage MPD-based music player, but it is dead silent, even with no shortage of WIFI-enabled devices on our network: 2 PCs, 2 laptops, 3 kindles, 1 nook, a Palm Pre and a wii.

Comment

I use a wireless router and several devices on the wifi in the same room as my system with no issue. I agree that it sounds like a bad RCA connection. I had a hum issue similar and it ended up being a poorly soldered RCA end.

Comment

I had something very similar issue & traced it to my Dayton plate amp picking up anything wireless. A $1 ferrite magnet snapped around the power cord eliminated it.
                      http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=110-450
                      Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

Originally posted by pypes View Post
                        I use a wireless router and several devices on the wifi in the same room as my system with no issue. I agree that it sounds like a bad RCA connection. I had a hum issue similar and it ended up being a poorly soldered RCA end.
                        If it is a bad RCA, it would have to be more than one.

The only RCA's in the entire system are the preamp RCA's that go from the receiver to the sub amp, and the receiver to the mains amp... all other connections are HDMI.

BOTH the mains and the sub exhibit the noise in question, so both RCA's would have to be bad.

Can a bad HDMI cause this issue?

I think it might be some weird ground loop issue from one of the source components... I'll try unplugging them from the receiver or from the wall to see if that fixes it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Henry View Post
                          I had something very similar issue & traced it to my Dayton plate amp picking up anything wireless. A $1 ferrite magnet snapped around the power cord eliminated it.
                          http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=110-450
                          Interesting... would you hear it in the other speakers? I hear it in all the speakers, not just the sub

I'm using a dayton sa240 plate amp, so maybe that's it?

Comment

did you get it figured out?

Comment

Originally posted by trainbufftony View Post
                              did you get it figured out?
                              Nope... I haven't even been home yet!!!... lol...

Comment

Working...
                              X