Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing the "INTIMATES" (high WAF & quality sound)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r-carpenter
    replied
    Re: Introducing the "INTIMATES" (high WAF & quality sound)

Hi Carl.
    Are you up for a bit of challenge? I am thinking of a shootout for the next NY DIY. Looking to build a 5.5" Satori/Viawave combo. Would be in the same weight category as your Intimates.
    Let me know if you are game.

Leave a comment:

• carlspeak
    replied

Now that I've learned to use Waslo's xsim software, I modeled the Intimates and added a screenshot of the crossover and FR plots.

Leave a comment:

• heat sink
    replied

Carl demo'd these for me on Friday while I was there dropping off a pair of OLA woofers for him to work his magic on.
    His Intimates are beautiful and they sound amazing!!
    When he removed the grille, I saw a much smaller bass driver than I was hearing!
    A wonderful open sound!
    VERY nice work, Carl!!

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
    I order from Newark a lot so I get the nice aluminum heatsink looking units, most of the 50 Watt deals are only $4-5.
    Eric-
    Mouser has the Arcol resistors like that, as well as the Vishay/Dales you are likely referring to. The Arcols are cheaper. I see why you use cell pics now. ;)

Paul-
    Using the print-screen method, you can't just frame in what you want, correct? This way I don't have to move it into a photo editor, or anything like that. Just snap and save, even for Flash objects!

Sorry for the Hijack, Carl!
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• 6thplanet
    replied

I order from Newark a lot so I get the nice aluminum heatsink looking units, most of the 50 Watt deals are only $4-5.

Leave a comment:

• carlspeak
    replied

....... The article states to use a 50 Watt resistor once you figure out what size resistor you need.
    I ended up with the 20W Mundorfs because of the convenience of using the wooden dowel and knowing my volume level would not be very great. The SFE was spec'd to a much higher wattage level (along with a very high price ;)) and thus the 50 W resistor noted in the article.
    Just to be safe, I did buy some NTE 50 W 1% resistors, but haven't seen the need to use them yet.

Leave a comment:

• 6thplanet
    replied

Sorry, the computer I test with isn't hooked to the Internet. So I cell picture it, email that straight to Photbucket, then post here or wherever. As for the heat of the resistor, dunno, for measurement/protoing I use an l- pad. The article states to use a 50 Watt resistor once you figure out what size resistor you need.

Leave a comment:

• carlspeak
    replied

I use screenprint 32 v3. However, it requires my Win V7 64 bit system to re-align itself.

Does anybody know of Win V7 screen print compatible free SW? MWsnap evidently isn't either from what I gathered from their website. Their SW goes as high as XP.
    Last edited by carlspeak; 03-20-2012, 11:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    Bud- you need to DL MWsnap. Snap to your heart's content, right off your screen. That way the cell-phone pics will stop... ;)
    YOu don't even need to get that fancy. Just meet my friends <ALT+PrintScrn> and <CTRL+PrintScrn>. Copies to clipboard.

Leave a comment:

• carlspeak
    replied
    Re: Introducing the &quot;INTIMATES&quot; (high WAF &amp; quality sound)

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    How hot does the resistor get?

Later,
    Wolf
    When I was at the bread board stage, I wanted to test the potential for resistor heating after reading about the SFE heat sink. I found the tweeter series resistor got quite hot to the touch playing a signal at loud volume for a minute or two. That led to the vent cooling idea.

Obviously, the resistor heating is a sign of efficiency issues. My speakers test in the 84-85 dB/2.83V @ 1M range. As always, speaker design is a series of compromises. I gave up efficiency for simplicity and performance.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Dips to 2.9 Ohms at 200 Hz, otherwise it's fine. Any amp rated at 4 Ohm shouldn't have any problems with that. Phase is about as good as it gets.
    Bud- you need to DL MWsnap. Snap to your heart's content, right off your screen. That way the cell-phone pics will stop... ;)

How hot does the resistor get?

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• 6thplanet
    replied

Dips to 2.9 Ohms at 200 Hz, otherwise it's fine. Any amp rated at 4 Ohm shouldn't have any problems with that. Phase is about as good as it gets.

Leave a comment:

• 6thplanet
    replied

I did the AR capacitorless design, sounds good!
    I'll scope the impedance out tonight...

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

I'll have to say it works nicely!! I wipped one up with an Audax HM130Z0 and an Usher 9500...very smooth. I have L1 at 0.15mH, L2 at 4.7mH, and R1 at 5Ohms.
    Measure the impedance, Bud.
    I fear you're dippng into bad territory.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• carlspeak
    replied

I'll have to say it works nicely!! I wipped one up with an Audax HM130Z0 and an Usher 9500...very smooth. I have L1 at 0.15mH, L2 at 4.7mH, and R1 at 5Ohms.
    Which xo did you use? How was the sound?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X