Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Introducing the "INTIMATES" (high WAF & quality sound)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Introducing the "INTIMATES" (high WAF & quality sound)

Dips to 2.9 Ohms at 200 Hz, otherwise it's fine. Any amp rated at 4 Ohm shouldn't have any problems with that. Phase is about as good as it gets.
    A mains
    The Ventures
    Open Invit8tions
    RSR
    Sound Troopers
    Acorns
    DGBG's
    The Monuments

Comment

Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post

Dips to 2.9 Ohms at 200 Hz, otherwise it's fine. Any amp rated at 4 Ohm shouldn't have any problems with that. Phase is about as good as it gets.
      Bud- you need to DL MWsnap. Snap to your heart's content, right off your screen. That way the cell-phone pics will stop... ;)

How hot does the resistor get?

Later,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
        How hot does the resistor get?

Later,
        Wolf
        When I was at the bread board stage, I wanted to test the potential for resistor heating after reading about the SFE heat sink. I found the tweeter series resistor got quite hot to the touch playing a signal at loud volume for a minute or two. That led to the vent cooling idea.

Obviously, the resistor heating is a sign of efficiency issues. My speakers test in the 84-85 dB/2.83V @ 1M range. As always, speaker design is a series of compromises. I gave up efficiency for simplicity and performance.
        Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
          Bud- you need to DL MWsnap. Snap to your heart's content, right off your screen. That way the cell-phone pics will stop... ;)
          YOu don't even need to get that fancy. Just meet my friends <ALT+PrintScrn> and <CTRL+PrintScrn>. Copies to clipboard.
          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
          Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Re: Introducing the &quot;INTIMATES&quot; (high WAF &amp; quality sound)

I use screenprint 32 v3. However, it requires my Win V7 64 bit system to re-align itself.

Does anybody know of Win V7 screen print compatible free SW? MWsnap evidently isn't either from what I gathered from their website. Their SW goes as high as XP.
            Last edited by carlspeak; 03-20-2012, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Sorry, the computer I test with isn't hooked to the Internet. So I cell picture it, email that straight to Photbucket, then post here or wherever. As for the heat of the resistor, dunno, for measurement/protoing I use an l- pad. The article states to use a 50 Watt resistor once you figure out what size resistor you need.
              A mains
              The Ventures
              Open Invit8tions
              RSR
              Sound Troopers
              Acorns
              DGBG's
              The Monuments

Comment

....... The article states to use a 50 Watt resistor once you figure out what size resistor you need.
                I ended up with the 20W Mundorfs because of the convenience of using the wooden dowel and knowing my volume level would not be very great. The SFE was spec'd to a much higher wattage level (along with a very high price ;)) and thus the 50 W resistor noted in the article.
                Just to be safe, I did buy some NTE 50 W 1% resistors, but haven't seen the need to use them yet.

Comment

I order from Newark a lot so I get the nice aluminum heatsink looking units, most of the 50 Watt deals are only $4-5.
                  A mains
                  The Ventures
                  Open Invit8tions
                  RSR
                  Sound Troopers
                  Acorns
                  DGBG's
                  The Monuments

Comment

I order from Newark a lot so I get the nice aluminum heatsink looking units, most of the 50 Watt deals are only $4-5.
                    Eric-
                    Mouser has the Arcol resistors like that, as well as the Vishay/Dales you are likely referring to. The Arcols are cheaper. I see why you use cell pics now. ;)

Paul-
                    Using the print-screen method, you can't just frame in what you want, correct? This way I don't have to move it into a photo editor, or anything like that. Just snap and save, even for Flash objects!

Sorry for the Hijack, Carl!
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Carl demo'd these for me on Friday while I was there dropping off a pair of OLA woofers for him to work his magic on.
                      His Intimates are beautiful and they sound amazing!!
                      When he removed the grille, I saw a much smaller bass driver than I was hearing!
                      A wonderful open sound!
                      VERY nice work, Carl!!

Comment

Now that I've learned to use Waslo's xsim software, I modeled the Intimates and added a screenshot of the crossover and FR plots.

Comment

Hi Carl.
                          Are you up for a bit of challenge? I am thinking of a shootout for the next NY DIY. Looking to build a 5.5" Satori/Viawave combo. Would be in the same weight category as your Intimates.
                          Let me know if you are game.
                          http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

I might come up with a 6.5 Satori/Viaware. We should make this a shootout. I wonder if Face still has those RAALs? Maybe Mike Z will use his?
                            Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
                            DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                            Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
                              Hi Carl.
                              Are you up for a bit of challenge? I am thinking of a shootout for the next NY DIY. Looking to build a 5.5" Satori/Viawave combo. Would be in the same weight category as your Intimates.
                              Let me know if you are game.
                              Roman, are you asking me to build with the drivers you listed? Or is that what you are building? Is the Viawave the Russian tweeter?

Comment

Hey Carl,

Maybe I'm missing something, but in the xsim schematic in the original post, it looks like the system impedance would be whatever the DC resistance of the 0.33mH inductor is, which I'm guessing is extremely low. Am I seeing that right?

Dan
                                The Hurricanes
                                The Baronettes
                                Conneccentric
                                UX3

Comment

Working...
                                X