Pico Neo Plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pico Neo Plans?

Are there any plans for Pico Neo. I could only find a couple of completed speaker images. Are there any plans or well documented build for this?

Also, it is 3/4 or would 1/2 also do? There seems to be a lot of variation of the the ported Aura NS3 in large enclosures. I am looking for Pico Neo in 0.15cf.

Can this driver be back mounted, and if so do we need to round over the speaker cut? Do we need to chamfer the back if the speaker is front mounted. I am asking as i have limited tools (as in none other than a drill.... but i am planning to add)

Thanks for your help.

Re: Pico Neo Plans?

Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
    Are there any plans for Pico Neo. I could only find a couple of completed speaker images. Are there any plans or well documented build for this?

Also, it is 3/4 or would 1/2 also do? There seems to be a lot of variation of the the ported Aura NS3 in large enclosures. I am looking for Pico Neo in 0.15cf.

Can this driver be back mounted, and if so do we need to round over the speaker cut? Do we need to chamfer the back if the speaker is front mounted. I am asking as i have limited tools (as in none other than a drill.... but i am planning to add)

Thanks for your help.

0.15 cf
    Made from 5/8" particle board. 1/2" OK but you might have to brace it, 3/4" would be better.
    ODs (using 5/8"): 12"h x 5"w x 7.75"d.
    NS3 center 3.5" down.
    Rear port tube centered 5" up. 1-1/4"id x 6" long.

The vents in the teeny driver frame are essentially sideways (rather than to the rear), so if you front mount it and can't relieve it, it won't breathe very well.

Not sure it would fit in my box if rear mounted, and then your hole would be visible, so that could be bad if you hand cut it with something like a Sabre saw. You MIGHT be able to use a 3-1/2" circle-hole saw to make the hole (I'm not cetain that I ever checked that out).

chris
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Chris

Do you have the cutout size for the speaker - i was hoping to find an appropriate hole saw for the job.

Also, is it critical for the driver to be centered 3.5 inch from the baffle top? How much leeway do i have in the box design - trying to simplify as much as possible. Critical factors would be highly helpful.

Thanks
      Ani

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
        0.15 cf
        Made from 5/8" particle board. 1/2" OK but you might have to brace it, 3/4" would be better.
        ODs (using 5/8"): 12"h x 5"w x 7.75"d.
        NS3 center 3.5" down.
        Rear port tube centered 5" up. 1-1/4"id x 6" long.

The vents in the teeny driver frame are essentially sideways (rather than to the rear), so if you front mount it and can't relieve it, it won't breathe very well.

Not sure it would fit in my box if rear mounted, and then your hole would be visible, so that could be bad if you hand cut it with something like a Sabre saw. You MIGHT be able to use a 3-1/2" circle-hole saw to make the hole (I'm not cetain that I ever checked that out).
        chris
        Hey Chris.. if I wanted to build a set with slot ports.. how would I figure that out?

Comment

Give your slot the same area as a 1.25" circle, then the length is the same (6")

Originally posted by witchdr View Post
          Hey Chris.. if I wanted to build a set with slot ports.. how would I figure that out?
          I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
          OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
          Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
          Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
          Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
          LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Thanks Chris

Do you have the cutout size for the speaker - i was hoping to find an appropriate hole saw for the job.

Also, is it critical for the driver to be centered 3.5 inch from the baffle top? How much leeway do i have in the box design - trying to simplify as much as possible. Critical factors would be highly helpful.

Thanks
            Ani
            I think a 3" will do. You'll have to square out a spot for the terminal tabs (just like in the picture I posted). Since the cab is 5" wide, it's 2.5" from the driver center to the side edges. The 3.5" down from the top is in the same proportion to 2.5" as the sqrt. of 2.

My actual inside box dims were 3.5" x 7.5" x 9.875" (ODs using 5/8" P.B. were 4.75"w x 8.75"d x 11.125"h). For the vent I used a 7" long length of an ESTES BT-55 body tube (close enough to 1-1/4" id).

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
              Give your slot the same area as a 1.25" circle, then the length is the same (6")
              Yeah, problem is that the "slot" will get so thin, people say it won't work right, like 3/8"h x 3.5"w x 7"d (or 6", if you like).

Comment

I think a 3" will do. You'll have to square out a spot for the terminal tabs (just like in the picture I posted). Since the cab is 5" wide, it's 2.5" from the driver center to the side edges. The 3.5" down from the top is in the same proportion to 2.5" as the sqrt. of 2.

My actual inside box dims were 3.5" x 7.5" x 9.875" (ODs using 5/8" P.B. were 4.75"w x 8.75"d x 11.125"h). For the vent I used a 7" long length of an ESTES BT-55 body tube (close enough to 1-1/4" id).

Chris
                I like the way your working in an ESTES body tube, one must always keep parts like that around.

Comment

Originally posted by hdben View Post
                  I like the way your working in an ESTES body tube, one must always keep parts like that around.
                  It's funny, but I can take a 2" discarded tube from work and either use it as a vent, or put a K motor in it. They end up making noise either way.

Comment

Yeah, problem is that the "slot" will get so thin, people say it won't work right, like 3/8"h x 3.5"w x 7"d (or 6", if you like).
                    Wouldn't the tuning frequency change if the port length is 6" vs 7"? Or it doesn't make much of a difference?

So either 6 or 7 inch will work and it will still extend down to 50hz? I am sorry i still don't have the complete picture of how everything is supposed to work - still learning.

Comment

Wouldn't the tuning frequency change if the port length is 6" vs 7"? Or it doesn't make much of a difference?

So either 6 or 7 inch will work and it will still extend down to 50hz? I am sorry i still don't have the complete picture of how everything is supposed to work - still learning.
                      I like the lower tuning of 7", but some prefer the higher 6". Depends on their use/placement as well. These drivers do not have ideal parameters for venting (the high Q gives a bit of a roller coaster effect before rolloff), but the bass they can make (especially for a 3") is so amazing, that some of their other shortcomings are overlooked. They'll do a strong 50 either way, actually creeping down into the 40's.

Comment

I agree, however the poster wanted a slot port. Also, the slot doesn't have be the full width of the cab. Certainly easier to build, but i've also known people that really go out of their way to avoid cutting circles.

I certainly wouldn't do one in this small a box.

I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                        OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                        Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                        Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                        Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                        LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
                          I agree, however the poster wanted a slot port. Also, the slot doesn't have be the full width of the cab. Certainly easier to build, but i've also known people that really go out of their way to avoid cutting circles.

I certainly wouldn't do one in this small a box.
                          I agree as well.. I was just curious.. Fwiw I have no prob cutting circles.. Lol!

Comment

I used 12mm (1/2") MDF with two horizontal braces and surplus 1 3/8" flanged drain pipes ( 2 for $1.25) and I front mounted them as my speakers needed to be against the wall. I built mine in ~3.8 liter enclosures. I'm experimenting with a "shaping filter", suggested for the ND-90s. To my ears, the NS3's need less than the .90 mH inductor. I'm down to .60mH, and I like that better. YMMV. WinISD Beta will let you design your enclosure and it's free. If my sinuses ever get better, I'll post my build with my photos. A 3" Forstner bit will clear the driver, but you'll need to notch for the terminals, and "rebate" the baffle so the speaker can "breath". A 2" sanding drum in a drill works well, or a curved Stanley SurForm tool.

Comment

Any issue with using this port in the Pico Neo:
                              http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=260-388

5" length would put it pretty close to the 1.25"x6" port's volume.

Comment

Working...
                              X