First attempt at sub design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First attempt at sub design

I am working on this for my Dad. I told him to pick up the Infiniti 1260w last year bc I thought the specs looked great. I have been playing around on bass box 6 and came up with this plan. I was just wondering what you guys thought of it.

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Files

Re: First attempt at sub design

Looks ok. Any reason for Bandpass?

Comment

Well, It got a lower f3 @ 29.16 with bandpass and sealed got an f3 0f 51.69. here's a graph comparing the response of the 2

blue- sealed

red - bandpass

I am new too this and was hoping to get some other opinions to if what i am thinking is right. To me the bandpass had a better lower response and a flatter graph. Am I correct in thinking this or am i way off??? The use for the sub would be 50/50 movies and music.
      Attached Files

Comment

Not sure what Bassbox is doing but the 1260 sealed in 36 liters net will get you F3/F10 36/23. RINNAV has built this box and likes the results.
        Attached Files
        I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
        OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
        Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
        Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
        Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
        LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

What's the port velocity with the single 3" port? What about a simple BR?
          https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

I don't see any advantage to a bandpass here over a traditional vented enclosure. Simulation shows more efficiency and better bottom end in a 2ft^3 vented box..... That said, there is a bit of a problem...

For the bandpass design, The single 3" port is going to have some major chuffing problems if you start putting any power down, with flares, I'd say 2x3" ports or 1x4" is the minimum, 3x3" would be better but they will get very long.

In a traditional vented enclosure, the vent size really gets obnoxiously large to stay quiet... In fact, it would probably be smarter to build it as a slot port rather than have all those tubes running all over tarnation. In fact, the vent will have to be so large to achieve the desired tuning on such a small box (typical car sub low Fs low Vas problem), that it will nearly double the size of the box, and at that point, the programs like winISD and bassbox start to fall on their face... It's no longer just a "vented" box, it's a dang transmission line. Hornresp is harder to use, but is the only way to get a simulation of such a design that is accurate.

Here's the vented enclosure ~2ft^3- first showing @1W, then some simulation at 400W where it runs out of Xmax... The volume of the vent is nearly the volume of the box to get the particle velocity low enough not to be noisy.

Next post I'll show the simulation of your bandpass box...

Regards,
            Eric
            Attached Files
            Pro/Fi Cinema Speaker project: "From the Ashes"

Comment

Here's the bandpass you are contemplating- again, modelled at 400W, but you'll see that the system runs out of Xmax down below ~35hz... so technically 400W is more than the box would "handle" down low. The traditional vented box gives you more power handling and output down low, which would make it a much better home theater sub. Also... notice the particle velocity at 65m/s.. I'm not aware of any amount of flare that's going to keep that quiet. Good flares can keep things quiet below 20m/s from what I understand, not 65m/s

Eric
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the input. This helps a lot. I did want to through out that I would be using a Dayton sa240 for the sub.

Thanks again.

Comment

W...Cheez,

How big a box are you willing to go? Oh... and what x-over point are you aiming for to the mains?

Comment

I showing my vent velocity around 24 m/s in bassbox @ 250w. Size I want to keep low and my Mom liked the idea of a bandpass since you cant see the sub. I looking to keep for crossover to be around 100Hz.

Comment

@240W....

bassbox predicts 24m/s
                      winISD predicts 36m/s
                      hornresp predicts 50m/s

They could all be right depending on other conditions. I would go with the least optimistic program personally

Comment

I talked it over with my dad and we went with the sealed enclosure @ 36 liters.
                        Here is a rough drawing of what it will look like.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here are some build pics as well. We put it together last weekend when I was visiting in Cleveland. It was a lot of fun. We built the box but will veneer and build the top at a later date. I wanted to see what it sounded like before I had to head back to Charlotte. I didnt get to play around for too long with it but I think it will do very well for what my Dad is looking for.

Thanks for all the help with this. This Forum rocks.:D
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here is some more pics
                            Attached Files

Comment

with the sub in it

we are going to do a cherry veneer with oak trim/skirt and a granite or marble tile top for candles or a plant. Hopefully they wont rattle off.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X