Creating router jigs for edge details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating router jigs for edge details

I thought it might be fun to show a quick explanation of what I've been working on recently. I created a jig that I used to create a curved chamfer. Like usual, I didn't take very good photo documentation of the process. I never think about it till its too late.

Anyway, I wanted to do something a little different with this pair of speakers. I've used a typical chamfer in the past many times (and actually, this pair started that way, as you can see in the second photo). I built a jig that I attached to the cabinets and then routed the edge. The router rode on top of the bamboo strips.

I started off in AutoCAD with a shape in my head of what I wanted. I wanted the curve to be 3/4" deep and approximately 2" long. So, I drew that and then offset the curve about 1 1/4". From there I was able to finish drawing the side piece that I created in the picture below. I just printed the autocad file, traced it onto the bamboo stock and cut it out. I secured the pattern to another blank and used my flush trim bit to make the two pieces identical. Next, I attached both side pieces to a 3/4" plywood base (see pic 1).

That assembly, as you see in the picture below, got pin nailed to the cabinet so it was fixed as I ran my router over it (imagine a router sitting on top of the assembly in pic three, but before veneer). I just kept moving the jig down the cabinet until the process was complete - then filled my pin holes with bondo.

These cabinets happened to use mitered construction with 1" mdf, but this process would work very well with 1" mdf and a 1/4" rabbet on the side panel to accept the front. The radius would come right to the intersection of the side panel and the front baffle, thus avoiding a but joint scenario.

I'm not sure I'm explaining this well, so if the pictures don't clarify, feel free to ask questions. This was actually pretty straightforward, and I think the results push the end product closer to a commercial grade cabinet.

I could have used multiple varying degree chamfer cuts on the table saw and sanded smooth to achieve the same results, but I wanted to try this way as I had been tossing it around in my head for a while.

Re: Creating router jigs for edge details

Those look great! I may have to use that idea sometime if you don't mind.

Comment

Nice look! Wish I had the patience and skill to do something like that. I appreciate you sharing with us!
      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
      Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Clever idea! Duplicate the curve on the rear sides and you have a faux-curved side enclosure

Comment

That is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Questions: Did you secure the jig to the cabinet when you routed? And, which direction did you make your passes, toward or away from the baffle?

Your veneer work looks great, too

Comment

Yeah - how do you keep the jig from moving?
            Brad
            piano black sealing mdf irregular recesses grill technique

Comment

This is great!!

Comment

Originally posted by 50 watt head View Post
                Questions: Did you secure the jig to the cabinet when you routed? And, which direction did you make your passes, toward or away from the baffle?
                The first picture shows the jig after some use. I used pin nails and nailed through the 3/4" plywood, into the mdf side panel. Each time I moved the jig, I had to pry the two apart, and pull the nails from the jig. As you can see, I used a number of pin nails. But, it held the jig tight to the cabinet temporarily while I made my passes with the router. Later I went back and filled all the pin holes in the side panel with bondo.

I wish I had taken a picture of the router on the jig, but direction of travel was parallel to the bamboo strips while the bit rode between the two strips. I traveled both towards and away from the front baffle as I made my passes.

I did this with a straight cut bit so I had to be cautious not to hit the bamboo strips, or the plywood, as the bit would chew into either of those. It was a pretty fun trial run and ended up working okay.

One other thing. notice the pencil line on the 3/4" plywood base. The bamboo parts needed to line up exactly with each other. Otherwise, the jig would not have been square to the cabinet. (ask me how I know that...)

Comment

Whooaaa... I never would have thought of this.

Brilliantly simple, and it can be done for just about any curve that we can dream up. You've got the wheels turning in my head.

Bravo.
                  ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
                  Sapphos
                  Cables (Post #54)
                  Other speakers (Post #21)
                  Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
                  Boundary Augmentation
                  Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Very Very Creative ! ! ! ! Well you know what they say is the mother of invention. And the beauty of this little Jig is it can be carried in a lot of other directions also. Thanks for posting, R.K.

Comment

And BTW, your speakers and Veneer work look GREAT ! Sorry I left out that part in my last post. R.K.

Comment

Sorry, I'm not getting it. To make the cut you made with a straight bit, it seems like the jig has to be on the baffle, not the side. I look at pic three and picture the router on top and can't see how you're going to get that cut. I recognize that the curve requires a router path in two dimensions.

To get the original chamfer your router base is on the baffle.

Sorry to be slow on this, looking for illumination.
                        I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                        OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                        Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                        Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                        Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                        LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
                          Sorry, I'm not getting it. To make the cut you made with a straight bit, it seems like the jig has to be on the baffle, not the side. I look at pic three and picture the router on top and can't see how you're going to get that cut. I recognize that the curve requires a router path in two dimensions.

To get the original chamfer your router base is on the baffle.

Sorry to be slow on this, looking for illumination.
                          I think I may not be explaining clearly. And, a picture is always worth 1000 words. At work, though I don't have better pics to explain. In the third pic, the jig is sitting on the side panel, the way I used it.

The router base sits directly on top of the bamboo strips that make up the side of the jig. Really what happens is the bit itself is always perpendicular to the tangent of the arc that is the bamboo strips.

What might look a little confusing is that the actual radius of the cabinet is a different radius than the arc of the bamboo strips. It's because I had to offset the arc in autocad. I did horrible at explaining that and might be able to provide a quick autocad drawing of what I'm trying to explain.

Comment

I quick redrew the cad work I started with. You can see the offset radius needed for the bamboo.

Creating that allowed me to create the piece I ultimately cut and used which looked like this:

Comment

Working...
                            X