Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub-Antics: The Crossover Subwoofer

Sub-Antics: The Crossover Subwoofer

I figured I would quit hijacking Silver's thread and start a little build thread of my own. The Sub is Infinity 1260w "Reference" designed for car audio. As I am sure most you have seen, there were quite a few threads discussing the potential of this sub in sealed 36Lenclosure so I decided to try TWO for myself. As of now, the subs are being run off of an Emo XPA-3 but later this week I will have a Crown XLS 1000 running them (I will report findings on this combination later in the post).

Well, TimK and I were throwing around ideas and this is what we came up with...

Here is the model at 300 watts:
    Attached Files
    Jason

"In my opinion, there are more tactful ways to state your opinion."

Re: Sub-Antics: The Crossover Subwoofer

Here is a sweep straight out of the box for both subs:
    Attached Files
    Jason

Comment

I thought I took some pictures of the cutting and assembly but evidently not--or the wife deleted them when she pulled the sports pictures off the camera... The enclosures will be stained (to be determined) Maple on the sides/top and some sort of coating on the 1.75" baffle front/back.

1) Front View

2) Rear View

3) Internal Bracing
      Attached Files
      Last edited by RINNAV; 03-27-2012, 11:27 AM.
      Jason

Comment

I plan on doing some in-box measurement once the second one gets a chance to break in--stay tuned.
        Jason

Comment

When is that Crown going to show up? I'm anxious to hear this combination.
          www.timkulincabinetry.com

Comment

Did the crown arrive? How do you like it?
            My Statement monitors
            My Piccolatas
            My LM3886 amp

Comment

The Crown XLS1000 is sufficient and seems better running through the XLR inputs. If I were to do it over I think I would buy the XLS1500 just to have that extra headroom. Other than that, no complaints, the combination is a nice match. I am still nitpicking on placement and room nodes which I think may be skewing things a little.

It would be interesting to see how the XLS1000 would act on a 2 ohm stereo load with the DVC version;)
              Last edited by RINNAV; 04-27-2012, 12:00 AM.
              Jason

Comment

You could always buy another and bridge them :D ;) (can't find the evil temptation smilie)

Originally posted by RINNAV View Post
                The Crown XLS1000 is sufficient and seems better running through the XLS inputs. If I were to do it over I think I would buy the XLS1500 just to have that extra headroom. Other than that, no complaints, the combination is a nice match. I am still nitpicking on placement and room nodes which I think may be skewing things a little.

It would be interesting to see how the XLS1000 would act on a 2 ohm stereo load with the DVC version;)
                I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
                  You could always buy another and bridge them :D ;) (can't find the evil temptation smilie)
                  Jason

Comment

Originally posted by RINNAV View Post
                    Hopefully I'll buy a XLS1000 this weekend and see how it behaves :D
                    My Statement monitors
                    My Piccolatas
                    My LM3886 amp

Comment

Got the XLS 1000 but got home too late to play with it. At low volume driving a 2 ohms load (1262 wired in parallel), it sounds great.

I'll run audisey tomorrow and play a bit. For the moment I only have 1 sub.
                      My Statement monitors
                      My Piccolatas
                      My LM3886 amp

Comment

Ok, I am curiously awaiting your thoughts on the 1262/2ohm stereo version with the XLS1000... Are you running the inputs into the XLR connections or RCA?
                        Jason

Comment

RCA, I do not have any XLR cable or connector around.
                          I run audissey and listened to some Coltrane, Black Sabath and Tracy Chapman. Deffinitelly sounds great. Then watched "Ninja asassin" on BR and the bass was very satisfying. Also tested it with "Immortals" the scene where Teseus closes the gate it's quite demanding. I liked it. If the fan turned on at any point I was unable to hear it (I hated the fan of my old sub amp). I also tested the XLS1000 driving my statement monitors :D
                          My Statement monitors
                          My Piccolatas
                          My LM3886 amp

Comment

Originally posted by Silver1omo View Post
                            RCA, I do not have any XLR cable or connector around.
                            I run audissey and listened to some Coltrane, Black Sabath and Tracy Chapman. Deffinitelly sounds great. Then watched "Ninja asassin" on BR and the bass was very satisfying. Also tested it with "Immortals" the scene where Teseus closes the gate it's quite demanding. I liked it. If the fan turned on at any point I was unable to hear it (I hated the fan of my old sub amp). I also tested the XLS1000 driving my statement monitors :D
                            I had the XLS1000 on my Statements also (with a few other amps for comparison). Amazing what you can get for $299.

Have you anything to compare the Infinity subs to directly? Really curious now.

Comment

Originally posted by jinjuku View Post
                              I had the XLS1000 on my Statements also (with a few other amps for comparison). Amazing what you can get for $299.

Have you anything to compare the Infinity subs to directly? Really curious now.
                              Only my old crappy Sharp sub so nothing to make a good comparison.
                              My Statement monitors
                              My Piccolatas
                              My LM3886 amp

Comment

Working...
                              X