Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your favorites for internal speaker wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your favorites for internal speaker wiring?

Looking to upgrade from ordinary zip cord, but don't need the cryo'd, diamond encrusted silver variety.

Re: What re your favorites for internal speaker wiring?

This will look and sound kinda anti climatic, but 18-16 ga for tweeters and 16-14 for anything else is plenty. If you want serious overkill, 12 ga.

If anyone on the forum has a meter that can measure the resistance of 3-4 ft of decent 14 ga wire, soldered at both ends, well, they have a reeeally good meter.

Some quick results from a wire resistance calculator on the net
    http://www.cirris.com/testing/resistance/wire.html
    8' piece of 18 ga (4', there & back): 0.051 Ω
    8' of 16 ga: 0.032 Ω
    8' of 14 ga: 0.02 Ω
    8' of 12 ga: 0.013 Ω

I think all connections soldered after you are done tweaking is just as important as correctly sized hook-up wire.

However, extreme care when soldering to speaker terminals is needed, esp. tweeters.
    Jay T
    http://sites.google.com/site/lhwidgetssite/home

Comment

I use, almost exclusively, the Dayton 14 AWG high stranded stuff.

Comment

Since I generally use Canare 4S11 for speaker wire, I also use it for internal wire.
        "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bking View Post
          Looking to upgrade from ordinary zip cord, but don't need the cryo'd, diamond encrusted silver variety.
          Why? OK, sorry. You have just started a flame war and I get to throw the first Molotov cocktail.

I personally find that 16ga zip cord is about as good as it gets. I am using "White Lightning" cables on my HT -- white 16ga 3-wire extension cord (the green wire grounded at the amp and floating at the speakers). In my 2-channel rig, I am using CAT5 cables - solids for +ve, stripes for -ve.

Because I am building with low wattage wide-range drivers, I use 24ga wire internally (single pairs from a CAT5 cable. If you are pushing 500watts into a sub, you may need to go all the way to 14ga.

Bob

Comment

Ordinary zip cord is just so mundane and lacks panache. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by bking View Post
              There is no upgrade from zip cord, only a higher price.
              www.billfitzmaurice.com
              www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

bking, you want some Deans "Wet Noodle" R/C car wire.

www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0C-WSD01R.html

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                  bking, you want some Deans "Wet Noodle" R/C car wire.

www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0C-WSD01R.html
                  Actually, that makes sense. Stuff like this and other high strand count wire with thinner, more compliant insulation is a lot easier on fragile connections, like tweeter binding posts and XO connections.
                  Jay T
                  http://sites.google.com/site/lhwidgetssite/home

Comment

For all you folks that like big wires for your internal connections, have you ever stopped to think about how big the leads are on your crossover components?

Since you asked, I use 19 awg silver coated mil spec, since I have a bunch of it. When that's gone, I'll be using Cat 5 similar to Mr. Brines, w/ similar color coding.

For subs w/ external amps . . . . 16 gauge zip cord.
                    I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                    OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                    Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                    Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                    Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                    LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Brines View Post
                      Why? OK, sorry. You have just started a flame war and I get to throw the first Molotov cocktail...
                      You've got a fellow heretic. For inside the box, there's no reason to go any bigger than the biggest tinsel lead on your woofer.

I use 18 ga for woofers, anything for tweeters (including CAT5 pairs) I bought a few spools of 18/20 ga at a swap meet, in colors, to keep polarities straight on three ways. Since it's cheap, I also picked up a couple rolls of THIS

I typically use crimp connectors so I go a bit bigger. I also need a bit more wire for measuring outside the cabinet. Occasionally I'll solder leads onto small tweeters. The idea of soldering 14 ga cable to a 600v cap with a 22ga lead strikes me as ludicrous. I also think it's too easy to fry components when you have to heat up huge wire.

If Thiel uses 18ga, I can't see needing more than that.
                      Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
                      "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
                      Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

Re: What are your favorites for internal speaker wiring?

What are this forum's opinions on "oxygen free" wire.

I wasn't convinced at first... however, I've noticed that through the years all of my standard zip cord speaker cables get fairly oxidized while my OFC copper wires have remained clean. There might actually be some legitimate reasons to use OFC wire.

Surprisingly, OFC wire is only slightly more $$$, not a factor of 10 or anything crazy like that. Thoughts anybody?
                        ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
                        Sapphos
                        Cables (Post #54)
                        Other speakers (Post #21)
                        Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
                        Boundary Augmentation
                        Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Originally posted by ReissM View Post
                          What are this forum's opinions on "oxygen free" wire.

I wasn't convinced at first... however, I've noticed that through the years all of my standard zip cord speaker cables get fairly oxidized while my OFC copper wires have remained clean. There might actually be some legitimate reasons to use OFC wire.

Surprisingly, OFC wire is only slightly more $$$, not a factor of 10 or anything crazy like that. Thoughts anybody?
                          Anyone who bashes it is a fool.
                          "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

I use whatever scrap wire I have lying around for internal speaker wiring.
                            "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                            exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
                              For all you folks that like big wires for your internal connections, have you ever stopped to think about how big the leads are on your crossover components?

Since you asked, I use 19 awg silver coated mil spec, since I have a bunch of it. When that's gone, I'll be using Cat 5 similar to Mr. Brines, w/ similar color coding.

For subs w/ external amps . . . . 16 gauge zip cord.
                              Exactly

Furnace wire, strip out the 18ga from the brown insulation. I then connect pairs to a drill and twist them together. The twisted pairs are easy to manipulate.

If I build anything that has heavier gauge than that on the cross-over then I'll upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                              X