X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bkeane1259
    started a topic Not so Rat Rocker build thread - Sean's NLA Towers

Not so Rat Rocker build thread - Sean's NLA Towers

When Wolf decided to do a Rat Rocker build theme at InDIYana 2012, it inspired me to use some of my stockpiled and now NLA drivers and other surplus parts and whip something together for the show.

Once I got started however, it turned into more of serious build and my younger son (17 years) took an immediate interest in the towers and wanted them for his room. This is the largest speaker in the house, so there's sort of a "wow" factor in it for my son.

Anyway, the original plan was to repurpose some old shelving material and make the cabinets sort of shabby-looking. I had the mill near us plane this rather thick poplar board down to 1" and rough cut it for me. They did an excellent job and the wood actually looks really good. Yes, it's an all-hardwood speaker cabinet, but it's a rat rocker, so it's ok. ;)

I decided to go with a MTMWW design utilizing (2) 6.5" buyout subs + Aura NS35-255-4a + Vifa bc25sc15-04.

I tried modeling a 3-way XO and not only is that an impossible task for me, but it was really expensive. I have several SA240's sitting around doing nothing, so these speakers quickly became partially active. I am powering all 4 subs with one SA240. So that leaves me with designing a 2-way XO on the top portion. I went pretty much textbook with the XO. Second order at 2k for the NS35's and 2.5k third order on the BC25 with 4db of padding. The NS35 is an underrated driver IMO. It's fairly flattish from 150Hz to 4k but then it gets wonky really fast. It has a nice natural rolloff below 100Hz, but to play it safe, I added a first order 100Hz high pass filter via 2 paralleled 100uF NPE's. The BC25 is useless anywhere near 1k and it has a slight suckout (2db-ish) at 6k which I did not address. Otherwise, it's fine. I picked the XO points really just based on analyzing the respective FR graphs and using online calculators. I was able to use a ton of my surplus XO parts for this and I did a lot of component coupling to get to the values I needed for the slopes.

Since I had only heard them in my garage the week of the show, I really had no clue how they'd fare in a more normal environment. I thought I really lucked out after hearing them at the show. Even better, I was pleasantly surprised to have received positive feedback from InDIYana attendees. Wolf even bumped me out of the Rat Rocker category...hehe.

So for yucks, here's how it went down......I'm calling them "Sean's NLA Towers"

• djkest
    replied
    Re: Not so Rat Rocker build thread - Sean's NLA Towers

Awesome craftsmanship, very cool design too.

Leave a comment:

• DarrenM
    replied

Excellent

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied

They sound very good. Plenty of bass and well balanced. Bryan did some really good work on them.

Leave a comment:

• DarrenM
    replied

so how did these come out sounding

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Cheers, Ryan. :D

Leave a comment:

• ROTECH
    replied

How dare you call these Rat Rockers.
    My next project or 10 will surely be less than a rat I am sure, when compared to these. Great job Bryan.

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
    Bryan,

I thought you did a very nice job on them. They sounded very good. Your son will love them. I see bigger and better challenges in your near future!
    Thanks Dan. That's very nice coming from you -- a guy that so many (me included of course) aspire to. BTW - thanks so much for brining in that port tubing material. I grabbed a bunch. I build a lot of subs, so that material is perfect for me.

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
    Cool build Bryan. Your wood working shop looks just like mine (aka the driveway) :D :p

Even with those huge reliefs you made to the back side of the baffles it still looks like those Aura drivers are gonna sufficate :o They must have been designed to be mounted to 1/2" partical board baffles

Do I spy some freebie yellow caps from DIY Chicago?
    Haha...yes, the garage is my shop/man cave/storage/ oh yeah and place to park a car.

Those NS35's are meant to be rear-mounted, but there just wasn't enough time for me to figure out how to do that in 1" thick stock. I am seriously considering a nice thin hardwood "flase baffle" for the MTM section where I can rear-mount the NS35's.

Yes, you spy correctly sir.

Leave a comment:

• dlneubec
    replied

Bryan,

I thought you did a very nice job on them. They sounded very good. Your son will love them. I see bigger and better challenges in your near future!

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied

Cool build Bryan. Your wood working shop looks just like mine (aka the driveway) :D :p

Even with those huge reliefs you made to the back side of the baffles it still looks like those Aura drivers are gonna sufficate :o They must have been designed to be mounted to 1/2" partical board baffles

Do I spy some freebie yellow caps from DIY Chicago?

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Originally posted by carlspeak View Post
    Great looking build Bryan.

So, where's the measurements???
    Ha..... Don't hold your breath for those my friend. I got these done just in time for the show and they never made it out of my garage initially. Now they are back in the garage waiting for me to haul them up to my kid's room.

No promises on any measurements.

Leave a comment:

• carlspeak
    replied

Great looking build Bryan.

So, where's the measurements???

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

The total cost for this project was fairly cheap. Since I used old wood, all buyout drivers and the buyout port plus lots of used XO parts and a used SA240, I was able to keep it under $250 for everything.

Fat chance getting that out of my kid though.....;)

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

Very lucky child, sir. What a fun build!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X