Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first "from scratch" build (with help)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first "from scratch" build (with help)

...help from Johnny Richards himself. 100% of the crossover work (and other tid bits of advice) goes to him. I feel I know more about this hobby than your average 21 year old, but I couldn't have even started a project like this without him, and I thank him greatly.

I built the Overnight Sensations about a year and a half ago, and while I'm very happy with them, it's time for a new project. I really wanted to use the HiVi F6 (based on it's attractiveness and good reviews), but I couldn't find a design out there that was both in my budget, and seemed like it would fit my requirements. My goals for the build are to satisfy me in the bass department (the Overnight Sensations satisfy me in the bass department, so I need to either match or better this) and to have a non-fatiguing upper range. These may seem like very "generic" goals, but I honestly don't have enough experience in this game to know what more I want. Obviously I want them to "wow" me ;). So I got a hold of Johnny and we (he) came up with a good starting point for a new design.

These will mainly be used as computer speakers (near field) with music as their main duty. These will be a 2-way ported design, .5 cubic feet at 52hz and Johnny recommended the Vifa DX25TG09-04 for a tweeter, and I decided to go with it. I actually ordered the tweeters from *that other site* today. The rest of the parts will come when I get home from school late next week.

Here's a couple renders of what I hope the final product will look like (black piano finish and all, hopefully). Any advice or recommendations that anyone has for me, I'd be more than happy to hear them. I should be making sawdust late next week after finals.

-Brian

Re: My first "from scratch" build (with help)

Well, you gots mad CAD skillz, that's for sure!

I think that will be an interesting speaker. Looking forward to a build thread!

Mark
    You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

The renderings look great.

It looks like you flush mounted the tweeter but not the woofer? Might as well do the woofer too.
      ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
      Sapphos
      Cables (Post #54)
      Other speakers (Post #21)
      Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
      Boundary Augmentation
      Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Originally posted by ReissM View Post
        The renderings look great.

It looks like you flush mounted the tweeter but not the woofer? Might as well do the woofer too.
        Thanks guys, I appreciate that.

I really want to flush mount the woofer, but the frame is rounded on the outer edges of it, which makes for a funny looking flush mount I'm kind of bummed I won't be able to, but I still think it'll come out ok.
        -Brian

Comment

Originally posted by B_Rich View Post
          Thanks guys, I appreciate that.

I really want to flush mount the woofer, but the frame is rounded on the outer edges of it, which makes for a funny looking flush mount I'm kind of bummed I won't be able to, but I still think it'll come out ok.
          It looks good flush mounted.
          Attached Files
          Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

That does look a lot better than I had anticipated. I might do a render of a flush mounted version tomorrow to see how it looks.
            -Brian

Comment

Best advice I have for you is to make sure you remember that a piano black finish is only as good as the smallest flaw on your body work Lots and lots of sanding. Then some more sanding, and then a little more after that. If the body work is all solid, the shiny paint is the easy part ;)
              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Wow..these are gonna be nice! I vote flush mount, also!
                Chris

Comment

If you need any help with measurements let me know. You know where I live.

Ron
                  C-Note Iron Driver Build
                  The Lydias
                  The Cherry π's
                  The Champs - Iron Driver 2015 Entry
                  My Projects Page

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

Comment

Originally posted by Ron_E View Post
                    If you need any help with measurements let me know. You know where I live.

Ron
                    I appreciate that Ron, I'd be interested in some testing this fall probably, or if I'm in the Ames area this summer, perhaps.
                    -Brian

Comment

Wow. Looks great. Tell me about the finish you used.

Comment

Originally posted by RDK View Post
                        A mouse finish?

Comment

Originally posted by RDK View Post
                          Well that's a compliment if I've ever had one :D lol those are renders (drawn up in Inventor and rendered in Keyshot).

Originally posted by generic View Post
                          A mouse finish?
                          ;)
                          -Brian

Comment

I would add screws to hold those drivers in place . . . :p
                            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                            Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about flush mounting it. If it ends up with that little valley that may cause significantly more diffraction. Regardless, even if it were perfectly flat it wouldn't improve diffraction too much because of the bulging rubber surround on the woofer. Also having it farther forward (from not flush mounting) will improve acoustic centering (my new favorite problem).

-Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X