Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spikes

Hello Everyone,

How would you describe the difference in the sound of a floor standing speaker with spikes and without spikes sitting on a hardwood floor?

Re: Spikes

Originally posted by kendaniel View Post
    Hello Everyone,

How would you describe the difference in the sound of a floor standing speaker with spikes and without spikes sitting on a hardwood floor?
    Spikes will help make a speaker a bit more immovable, increasing it's apparent mass, which gives the drivers a more ideal platform from which to operate. The more massive the cabinet, the less spikes will matter.

In a recent thread, someone actually measured an improvement of cabinet vibration using spikes and pads, over simple rubber feet.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by kendaniel View Post
      None. Spikes fall into the snake-oil category. They do help keep an overly energetic subwoofer from moving, especially if used on a carpeted floor.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

spikes look cool, all the good speakers have them. h:rolleyes:

Comment

I thought the idea was to decouple them mechanically so as to prevent the transfer of energy ..... to prevent bass energy from being bled off ?? might also change resonances and modal behavior in and about the cabinet.

Seems like most of then are cheap enough. Maybe they would work more efficiently if made out of pure unobtainium:p

ďAudio is an hallucination where the sufferer believes that he or she hears music coming from a small wooden box." John Woram

Comment

A number of years ago someone posted some tests on the net that showed spikes actually increased cabinet resonance it his case. As you think about it this is not unexpected since all the energy transfer is through 3 or 4 discrete points. For a cabinet sitting on a carpet the bottom panel is somewhat damped. So, I guess it depends on the cabinet construction, where the spikes are located, and what the cabinet is otherwise sitting on.
            John k.... Music and Design NaO dsp Dipole Loudspeakers.

Comment

Years ago, when I was first building speakers, I tried spikes on one pair. Couldn't hear a diddly difference and have never considered using them again.
              Paul

Comment

Thank you for all the responses!

Several years ago I read an article that said something about placing the speaker on a base that would not transfer any energy into the floor. This would be a solid material like granite or concrete.
                Any thoughts on this? I've been thinking a nice piece of granite would look good as the speaker base. Our local granite shop sells left over pieces really cheap.

Comment

I like spikes on carpet, for two reasons; 1, they give a much more stable base because they generally go through the carpet to the wood floor underneath. Because of the tack strip near the wall that holds your carpet down, the carpet is not level as it approaches the wall, and this will help compensate for that. And 2, they look real cool.

Notice I mentioned nothing about SQ, cause I don't think it matters. And on hardwoods, the only reason would be looks, or if you have to deal with uneven floors.

Comment

I don't know guys, I always think of Newton's third law of motion,,, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

When the cone moves out it wants to push the cabinet back, and I believe that spikes help to stop that.

My two cents, Mark

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                      None. Spikes fall into the snake-oil category. They do help keep an overly energetic subwoofer from moving, especially if used on a carpeted floor.
                      Spikes would look kind of funny on your speakers.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by flatfinger View Post
                        I thought the idea was to decouple them mechanically so as to prevent the transfer of energy
                        What energy? Unless the cab is poorly made the only energy it should be putting out is that coming from the cones and ports.
                        If you read the claims made for spikes about half will claim that they decouple the cab from the floor. The other half claim that they give better coupling to the floor.
                        www.billfitzmaurice.com
                        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by Psycoacoustics View Post
                          I don't know guys, I always think of Newton's third law of motion,,, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

When the cone moves out it wants to push the cabinet back, and I believe that spikes help to stop that.

My two cents, Mark
                          +1.

And as someone here at PE has already mentioned, they MEASURED the improvement of cabinet vibration with spikes and pads, compared to rubber padded feet.

But that still means you need a very solid, stable, immovable base upon which to place the spike pads.
                          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                          Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                            If you read the claims made for spikes about half will claim that they decouple the cab from the floor.
                            The other half claim that they give better coupling to the floor.
                            LOL -

I like my floorstanders (sans spikes) because i like the energy getting transferred to the floor.
                            Right thru to my comfy chair to give me that nice visceral feeling, like you get with real music.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!
                            Last edited by jeff_free69; 05-15-2012, 10:53 AM.
                            BEER: Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

I've measured many things I cannot hear; and heard things I cannot measure...

Comment

Having had wood floors installed here , I would think that the nailed to a sub floor method could generate sympathetic vibrations in the planks .

Besides spikes , there are "recoil stabilizers " and the usual controversy around them . I have the Auralex pads under the monitors on my desk and I think the results were positive in the bass region because the desk seems to vibrate less which logically would indicate that the driver is moving more air instead of the desk .

It would seem that as usual , many varibles could be in play ;

The real difficulty with trying to deal with vibration and acoustics to ‘improve’ a domestic audio system is that the circumstances vary a great deal from one system and room to another, and the preferences of the user also varies. My own experience is that the choice of loudspeakers, their location, and the listening position generally have a larger effect upon the sound quality than the use of spikes, etc. In some cases cones or spikes may be desired to give a better ‘grip’. In other cases some damping or isolation may be desired, so soft inelastic materials may be preferred. Hence when it comes to loudspeakers and stands, any specific recommendation may be fine in some cases, and poor in others. The best bet is therefore simply to experiment.

from "Speaker Spikes and Cones – What’s the point? "

http://http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/speaker-spikes-and-cones-2013-what2019s-the-point

ďAudio is an hallucination where the sufferer believes that he or she hears music coming from a small wooden box." John Woram

Comment

Working...
                              X