Tip: How To Flush Mount Irregular Shape Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip: How To Flush Mount Irregular Shape Driver

I've searched before on how to flush mount an irregular shape driver. Ive seen some elaborate solutions and have thought on it for a while. Forgive this post if its redundant or already been covered but I hadn't seen it done this way before and thought I would share. Basically I made a Base to my router that was larger than the original base by twice the diameter of the cutout bit. I then used this base after making an outside template of the driver with the original base. This yields a recess exactly the same size as the driver.

I selected a Sony buyout to demonstrate the concept.

Step one: Measure your router base plate diameter. Mine was 5 3/4".

Step two: Measure your cutout bit diameter. Mine was 1/4" up spiral.

Step three: Add Router base diameter(R) to double the cutout bit diameter(B2) In my case: R= 5 3/4 and B= 1/4" so B2= 1/2"
    so 5 3/4 + 1/2 = 6 1/4

Step four: Make a cutout(new larger router base) the size of your original router base plus double the diameter of the cutout bit. In my case this was 6 1/4". Put mounting holes and hole for for cutout bit etc.

Step five: With Original router base on router, use driver to make outside template of driver.

Step Six: Place new larger router base on router and use template you just made to make cutout for driver.

The cutout is actually tighter than the pic shows and the accuracy of this method is only limited by your accuracy in creating the larger router base.

Attached Files

Re: Tip: How To Flush Mount Irregular Shape Driver

Thanks for taking the time to post up all those pics. That makes it super clear.

I'm guessing that making some horizontal and vertical lines would help lining up the final template to the baffle.

Looks like you used 1/4" hardboard? Looks like the stuff with one smooth side and one gnarly side if I'm seeing correctly.
    That's good stuff. Thanks again,

TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

No problem!!

After the base is made, the template only took about 2 minutes. Yes centering on the baffle is kinda tricky but not that bad. Once the template is set on the baffle the actual recess takes a couple minutes too.......

I normally pencil where the driver actually goes and keep an eye out as I actually cut the recess to make sure I didn't make a blunder when aligning the template.

Comment

that really makes it look easy, thanks.
        " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
        Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
        http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          that really makes it look easy, thanks.

Yes its unbelievably simple, i wondered if it had been done this way before and i just missed it......

Anyhow, if not ill call it the ottaway to flush mount a driver, after my last name.... :D

If it helps someone out ill be happy.

Comment

You have just inspired me do something with my bunch of 3x5 jvc buyouts. And my better half says thanks. great pics also

Comment

Originally posted by rfrey View Post
              You have just inspired me do something with my bunch of 3x5 jvc buyouts. And my better half says thanks. great pics also
              Thanks and Your Welcome!

Comment

That looks like a lot of gap! Is that intentional? I've never had template-cutting with this method leave that much, but I usually don't do any math and use a guide bushing on the router. I think I end up cutting two templates though; one as you do here, one smaller one that ends up being the guide for the final cut. And super snug fits.

At any rate, making templates is super easy and makes for excellent results, even with round drivers.

Nice write-up besides.

C
                diVine Audio

Comment

Originally posted by cjd View Post
                  That looks like a lot of gap! Is that intentional? I've never had template-cutting with this method leave that much, but I usually don't do any math and use a guide bushing on the router. I think I end up cutting two templates though; one as you do here, one smaller one that ends up being the guide for the final cut. And super snug fits.

At any rate, making templates is super easy and makes for excellent results, even with round drivers.

Nice write-up besides.

C
                  Thanks, the pic makes it look looser than it really is. If you want it tighter make the router base a smidge bigger. This was for demo and was quick work which did leave a 32nd all the way around(gap).

I dont have router bushings, but your method sounds nice even if there is an extra template involved. Do you have a link to a how to?

Comment

Additional Tip:

Rather than screw the template to your work piece, use a couple of strips of carpet tape. Those screw holes may or may not be a problem later.

Bob

Comment

Thanks, good stuff here.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Brines View Post
                        Additional Tip:

Rather than screw the template to your work piece, use a couple of strips of carpet tape. Those screw holes may or may not be a problem later.

Bob
                        Gotcha Bob i would never have screwed it to an actual baffle, this was quick testing and demo on scraps....

Good tip on carpet tape! Thank You!

Comment

Working...
                        X