Good cab design for studio use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good cab design for studio use?

I was thinking of building a slightly oversized 1x12 enclosure with a small removable back piece so that if ever wanted, they could mike the rear of the speaker. What are your thoughts and ideas of a good studio guitar enclosure?

Re: Good cab design for studio use?

Small studio - small amp AND to protect hearing without excessive SPL.
    Something along the size and power of a Fender Champ* or a small studio/combo rig.
    Removable back panel is a good idea, as well as a kick back and/or decoupling stand.
    * Clapton recorded Layla on a Champ
    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
      Small studio - small amp AND to protect hearing without excessive SPL.
      Something along the size and power of a Fender Champ* or a small studio/combo rig.
      Removable back panel is a good idea, as well as a kick back and/or decoupling stand.
      * Clapton recorded Layla on a Champ

Ooohhhhh I like that kick back idea. What is a decoupling stand? This is a pretty nice studio with a lot of traffic. They have a 4x12 and a 2x12. One of wich I had built for them. We've recently been discussing the idea that a 1x12 in a studio will be more focused since there is no other surrounding noise and no phase cancelation from another speaker. I also am making the speakers "quick change". No grill on the cab. This way he can swap out a few of his favorites pretty easy.

Comment

Check out Avatar Speakers Pro Guitar Monitors and their 1x12 models for ideas.

You probably couldn't build one yourself for much less than they charge.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/
        https://www.facebook.com/lowecustomguitar

www.lowecustomguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by RDK View Post
          Ooohhhhh I like that kick back idea. What is a decoupling stand?
          Observe the elevation: this can help if the sound is too boomy.
          Some stands "kick-back" as well.

"Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
          “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
          "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by RDK View Post
            Ooohhhhh I like that kick back idea. What is a decoupling stand? This is a pretty nice studio with a lot of traffic. They have a 4x12 and a 2x12. One of wich I had built for them. We've recently been discussing the idea that a 1x12 in a studio will be more focused since there is no other surrounding noise and no phase cancelation from another speaker. I also am making the speakers "quick change". No grill on the cab. This way he can swap out a few of his favorites pretty easy.
            Most cabs are simple - why not build 3 or 4? Just keep the amp in its own box and plug into the cab you want?. It would take up some room, but so would several extra drivers.

Comment

Working...
            X