Cabinet 90% done - trashed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabinet 90% done - trashed

I'm not sure if I'm posting this to commiserate or for suggestions - probably both.

I've been working on 2 sets of speakers, one for my daughter and one for my son. These were supposed to be Christmas presents a year and a half ago. The cabinets were stained mahogany and the baffles birds eye maple. Most of the reason they've taken so long has been all of the trouble I've had with the birds eye because it's raw veneer (can't afford backed).

So, I got the cabinets all done except for one detail. Due to various problems and errors, the baffles did not cleanly attach to the cabinets. So, there were gaps. I decided that I would route a groove where they met and insert a strip, sort of like an inlay. Clamping a straightedge board down and running my router along it I was doing fine until the last 6 inches or so. Either the straightedge shifted or I screwed up when clamping it, but the groove went quite a bit astray (see picture).

I think my options, at this point, are:
    1. Somehow fill the groove and, as best as I can, match it to the mahogany
    2. Fill the groove and lay another layer of veneer over it
    3. Start over and build new cabinets

I've got so much work into these that it will be a shame to start over, but I can't imagine pulling off fixing it and not having it look bad.

So, what would you do in my situation?

Re: Cabinet 90% done - trashed

Well,,, my first thought was, just cut a wider Dado, (groove) and use a wider inlay. This time making sure your straight edge doesn't move. Woodcraft sells some really nice self clamping straight edges. Just be careful to not clamp them too tight so you don't dent anything.

Or as you said, fill it in and veneer over it again, as long as that doesn't stand proud of the front baffle.

Also, if you can find some wood filler that matches the finished color, sometimes you can use a sharpie to draw in the grain to match, but this would be my last resort, and it would have worked better before you routed the groove.

Good luck, and let us know, Mark

Comment

Route a wider groove and fill it with a contrasting strip of wood. Something black or very dark would look nice imo. Looks like you'd need a 1/4" or narrower strip to fill the gap.
      If you want to get fancy you could get some inlay banding. There are many styles and patterns available at places like Rockler or Woodcraft.

A router table would be a good tool for the job. The combination of large work surface and long, fixed fence will help reduce the chance for mis-haps.

You could cobble up a temporary table with a 2'x4' sheet of ply/mdf and clamp a good straight edge for a fence. A 4+ foot fence really helps.
      Drill the hole for the router off center front to back, closer to the back edge of the table top, this will give more support area for the cabinet.
      ~99%
      Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
      Make me a poster of an old rodeo
      Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
      To believe in this livin' is just a hard way to go

Comment

Bob, If it were me, I'd cut the groove bigger to hide the oops.

I would do this on the table saw very carefully since I don't have a router table. They're small speakers so it wouldn't be too hard. Two or three passes ought to do it.

Then just fill in with a contrasting color wood strip or black painted strip.

That's a minor goof, you can fix those up in an hour. Going the contrasting route should look pretty cool actually. Nice looking stuff by the way!

Whatever route you choose, post some pics please, I'd like to see how this turns out.

TomZ
        *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

I did the same thing as you - not the slip up (this time) but the dado between the baffle and the veneer because of gaps from a not perfect fit. I filled mine with black dyed epoxy and the contrast to the rest of the speaker looked great. If I were you I would just cut the dado wider. Looks to me like a 1/4" bit would do the trick. You could fill it with epoxy like I did, or try to fit a 1/4" strip of wood in the dado. In any case I would make it contrasting to the rest of the finish.
            Attached Files

Comment

That did turn out great. Did you purchase the epoxy already died? If so, where? If not, how did you die it?

I was thinking of using ebony inlay, but it was going to cost $120 or more for the quantity I'd need. I could also die a light colored wood (poplar), but then I'd need to take the time to precisely cut the strips. I need to get these done and, being in school (and working full time) don't have much free time.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ebert View Post
                That did turn out great. Did you purchase the epoxy already died? If so, where? If not, how did you die it?

I was thinking of using ebony inlay, but it was going to cost $120 or more for the quantity I'd need. I could also die a light colored wood (poplar), but then I'd need to take the time to precisely cut the strips. I need to get these done and, being in school (and working full time) don't have much free time.
                India Ink (try an art or craft supply store) works great for dying epoxy or inlay. -- Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ebert View Post

I used two part epoxy and added black concrete dye. If you decide to use epoxy just make sure to protect the entire rest of the speaker with tape and paper/plastic. I didn't and ended up getting epoxy all over the place and had to sand it all off. If you do get some on the speaker don't try to wipe it off. Let it dry and it will come off much cleaner.

Comment

Re: Can you re-veneer?

If you applied veneer to the cabinet, use a hot iron and remove the damaged veneer, fill the wayward groove and apply another sheet of veneer.

Comment

how about widening the dado slightly to eliminate the oops, and instead of a wood band, what about either some brass or aluminum flat stock for the inlay? or cover the inlaid piece with some black leather or Naugahyde?

Comment

If you dado a new slot n the table saw and fill it with wood it could look like these.

However, having three different species of wood might look odd, so maybe just inlay with a black resin.
                        A product called INLACE is easy to use.
                        http://www.inlaceonline.com/

Comment

It will also look good if you don't fill the slot, but paint it black instead. Gives a shadow relief and gives the baffle a bit of a floating effect.

Originally posted by pecker View Post
                          If you dado a new slot n the table saw and fill it with wood it could look like these.

However, having three different species of wood might look odd, so maybe just inlay with a black resin.
                          A product called INLACE is easy to use.
                          http://www.inlaceonline.com/
                          I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                          OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                          Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                          Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                          Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                          LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
                            It will also look good if you don't fill the slot, but paint it black instead. Gives a shadow relief and gives the baffle a bit of a floating effect.
                            That sounds like a cool idea! What would be the best way to paint the slot? Maybe mask it and shoot it with some flat black Rustoleum?
                            Craig

The lowest possible F3 box alignment is not always the best alignment.

Designing and building speaker projects are like playing with adult Lego Blocks for me.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                              That sounds like a cool idea! What would be the best way to paint the slot? Maybe mask it and shoot it with some flat black Rustoleum?
                              I like the idea, too. But I don't think I'd spray it. I'd be concerned about getting coverage on the sides and corners without runs and drips. I'd think about masking it and then using a small (artist's) brush to paint it.

On second thought, if I already had the spray paint, I'd mask it, spray it, then use a brush to even it out.

-- Doug

Comment

Working...
                              X