Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3 songs you would choose to test speakers

Originally posted by jeff_free69 View Post
    20 tracks? - how long will it take to audition each speaker?
    (I'm trying to fit 5 or 6 into a reasonable timeframe, where we expect about 10 entries for the IronDriver contest.)

Whatcha got so far - or is it a secret?
    (By the rules of IronDriver contest, I can't publish mine so that the participants have advanced knowledge)
    10 entries - piece of cake! :-) We're expecting 15 -20. We use only segments of songs; each being 1 min or so. Planned speaker test time is 5-7 mins each.
    Mike Z. was at our shootout last year with his Fatbellies. He can fill you in with more details. PM me about our 2012 song list. I'd rather not go public with it.

BTW, loved your 'best laid plans..." line. :-)
    Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

1) King Crimson - Three Of A Perfect Pair

2) Jethro Tull - Salamander

3)
      Originally posted by WernerM View Post
      Chaka Kahn "Ain't Nobody" Female vocals, synthesizers, various percussion

Comment

Diana Krall - Temptation
        Philip Glass - The Grid
        Tiesto - Ten seconds before sunrise

Comment

agree with the three of a perfect pair, dynamics and transitions are off the chart. i would also have to throw in some rodger waters amused to death. if your speakers are right there are several songs that can turn your entire room into a soundstage. david bowie live a the the towers. all the young dudes intro. have to add that i really like to listen to strings, cello esp. just listened to a little pink floyd wish you were here on sacd at a friends house. not usually impressed with sacd, was blown away by this. borrowed the sacd and listened to it at home on the focal utopia novas and all can say is WOW ! i will be the owner of a copy of this in hte next few days.
          craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Nora Jones, simply because if there's any issues in the upper mids, like that bump at the baffle step for small baffles, between 700 and 900 Hz, she'll go from being between the speakers to sitting in your lap when she hits certain notes. One of my favorites is "In the Morning."

I really like Dire Straights "Brothers in Arms" after all these years, in particular, "Ride Across the River" with it's crickets and spacious staging. Awesome recording.

An orchestral piece is always in order, simply for the evaluation of complex musical passages. I really have enjoyed the soundtrack from "Gladiator" recently.
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
            Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

wow contoursvt I was going to suggest the same tiesto song

MK Ultra - Muse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD942lXS-Gs)
              John Wayne Gacy, Jr. - Sufjan Stevens (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otx49Ko3fxw)
              Wet Dreams - Juri Gagarin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YACp...eature=related)

Comment

While we are on the Tiesto kick, I love the song Delerium. Was a favorite of mine back in the good ole clubbing days, but it has stuck with me through all of this speakerbuilding crazyness because the song covers all the bases.

Another song that I hold as my "reference" for any speakers I build is Wasteland, Live Acoustic by 10 years. While most of the song replays quite easily, there is a bongo drum through one of the breakdowns. This bongo drum only seems to play nice and out front on the speakers that have the best of all worlds in my opinion. On any speakers that this bongo doesnt sound like it should, I generally find that the vocals on said speaker need some more tweaking.

Finally, I like to use Stranglehold by good ole Nugent. This song has many recordings over the years and when you get a good one, it is a hard song to beat when listening to a great set of speakers.

Comment

1) Stravinsky - The Firebird Suite, Telarc Digital recording of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra. Nothing I've ever heard does as good a job of exposing issues with transient peaks, plus it's a gorgeous recording and a glorious piece of music.

2) Ambrosia - Time Waits For No One - Engineered by Alan Parsons, this is a masterpiece of '70s era hi-fi. It has real low end, a good soundstage and excellent drum sounds.

3) Paul Simon - Under African Skies - With Linda Rondstant on harmony, it's a great vocal recording.

And, since not three recordings are enough, I'll add one more:

The Beatles - The End (from Abbey Road) - It's hard to find another rock recording with a better drum sound. This was also engineered by Alan Parsons. In fact, I find that the Beatles albums, in general, are exceptionally well recorded, particularly when it comes to drum sounds.
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Altrusim is, ultimately, self-serving
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Instrumentals:

1) Anything by Brian Bromberg, particularly acoustic bass as opposed to electric

2) The Goat Rodeo Sessions, featuring Yo Yo Ma

3) Almost anything by Strunz & Farah or Bela Fleck

Vocals:

1) Dianna Krall, Girl in the Other Room

2) Cat Power, Evolution

3) Ronnie James Dio, Dio at Dominos

Comment

best are songs you are familiar with, because you know how they are supposed to sound.

for me, I'd say for testing bass reproduction, Dire Straight's "Calling Elvis". overall, probably "Money for Nothing"
                      since I love the Black Crowes, I know "My Morning Song" off of Southern harmony & musical companion like the back of my hand. "Gone" or "Conspiracy" from Amorica, too
                      orchestral, Atom Heart Mother Suite by Pink Floyd on my remastered AHM disc
                      the Who's "the real me" off of Quadrophenia-- it can sound stunning on a great pair of speakers, or like a cow taking a crap on bad ones
                      not sure what I'd do for female vocals, probably either the Little Wille's version of Dolly Parton's "Jolene" or their version of Willie Nelson's "Gotta get drunk" because Nora Jones' voice is pure ***....or maybe some early Jewel, something off her first two albums, or some Stevie Nicks....or Susan Tesechi's "tired of my tears"

Comment

I've got two that you guys probably will shoot down, but boy do they sound good on my system.
                        Firstly, Lights by Ellie Goulding, original version. (Youtube Link to it)
                        Secondly, "Prituri Se Planinata" (NiT GriT Remix), which unless you like dubstep you'll probably not like, but it's got a pretty good range on it. Seeing this one in concert is a religious experience. (Soundcloud Link)

Comment

Umphrey's McGee - Bright Lights, Big City
                          Big Bass, sharp drums guitar with some synth thrown in.

Norah Jones feat. Dolly Parton - Creepin' In
                          Female focal harmonies and some good acoustical guitar.

Gotye - State of the Art
                          Big sound, very dynamic.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunkie View Post
                            1) Stravinsky - The Firebird Suite, Telarc Digital recording of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra. Nothing I've ever heard does as good a job of exposing issues with transient peaks, plus it's a gorgeous recording and a glorious piece of music.

2) Ambrosia - Time Waits For No One - Engineered by Alan Parsons, this is a masterpiece of '70s era hi-fi. It has real low end, a good soundstage and excellent drum sounds.

3) Paul Simon - Under African Skies - With Linda Rondstant on harmony, it's a great vocal recording.

And, since not three recordings are enough, I'll add one more:

The Beatles - The End (from Abbey Road) - It's hard to find another rock recording with a better drum sound. This was also engineered by Alan Parsons. In fact, I find that the Beatles albums, in general, are exceptionally well recorded, particularly when it comes to drum sounds.
                            Since you brought up Paul Simon, Diamonds On The Souls Of Her Shoes is a pretty fantastic test song too.

Originally posted by michiganpat View Post
                            best are songs you are familiar with, because you know how they are supposed to sound.

for me, I'd say for testing bass reproduction, Dire Straight's "Calling Elvis". overall, probably "Money for Nothing"
                            I forgot about Calling Elvis. Good taste, you can't go wrong w/ Dire Straits. Try Dire Straits "Fade To Black"
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuYppz9Azzc

W/ that tune going in front of some phenomenal speakers, you might just melt!
                            "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
                            "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

WARNING this may not be for everybody... but I rediscovered my Tool album "Lateralus" today, and almost forgot about the songs "parabol" and "parabola". These would make excellent choices IMO. Can your speakers keep up?!?!?! Here is a video clip, but nowhere near the audio goodness of the original...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvqOTjq0AjE
                              HAGD,
                              Marc

Even though I try to tell everyone upfront, understand that I am still a Newb. I wish the status of Seasoned Veteran/Senior Member, etc. was earned with time not posts...

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

Comment

Originally posted by WernerM View Post
                                WARNING this may not be for everybody... but I rediscovered my Tool album "Lateralus" today, and almost forgot about the songs "parabol" and "parabola". These would make excellent choices IMO. Can your speakers keep up?!?!?! Here is a video clip, but nowhere near the audio goodness of the original...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvqOTjq0AjE
                                A while back somebody else showed their love for listening to TOOL over a good loudspeaker because of the dynamic range. However, somebody else chimed in with a graph showing the song as displayed waveforms or something and it showed that nearly an entire TOOL track was mastered at or above the clipping level. Does anybody remember this, and can dig it out of the trenches? Though I love TOOL, and thought it sounded good on many speakers as well, the proof was in the pudding and that image made me learn and think a lot.

As a side note, a few years back (maybe 10-12) Forbes Magazine actually voted TOOL's Aenima as the best album in history to listen to during a long flight. Pretty neat.

Comment

Working...
                                X