Personal Commentary on the State of DIY Speakerbuilding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Personal Commentary on the State of DIY Speakerbuilding

Totally cool write up, Jeff! +1 on the mention of my project, and like others have mentioned your PCD program ROCKS!!
    A mains
    The Ventures
    Open Invit8tions
    RSR
    Sound Troopers
    Acorns
    DGBG's
    The Monuments

Comment

Even though I've still not actually built a speaker, I owe what I have done to Your software and the amazing advise, and positive critique the more knowledgable members here have given. I read almost everything I can here and try to absorb as much as I possibly can. I'd really like to finish the Deadhorses before my 2 year mark, which seems to be coming up here more quickly than ever.

Thanks to you, and everyone else that's ever given me advise or posted any accurate information on the web in general!

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
      return to the source
      leviathan system thread
      deadhorse thread
      shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Great post! Thank you for the encouraging words. Makes me want to be at home reading more of my copy of Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, instead of stuck at work.
        RYAN N.

"Why do you have the stereo on while you're watching TV?" - "....Cause I like to party."

RSS390HF Build - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224998
        AviaTrix Build - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=230372
        Wolf's PC Speakers Build - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...84#post1838384
        Overnight Sensations MT Build - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ation-MT-build

Comment

Thanks Jeff, Thanks for all
          Mongo only pawn in game of life
          ____
          Ed

Comment

I have no problems desigining speakers... now building them... that's another ball park. Give another 20 years for those 3D printers to be practical and then I'll be able to execute any designs I can think of hahaha....

Comment

And Wolf's designs are always impeccably voiced.
              As always, thank you for the priceless compliment, and I am also proud to be a member of this community. If you hadn't shown me some of the ropes, nor had I done the 3 years of reading and learning on the first large scale project, I also feel I would not be where I am today in this hobby.

This is the day and age of homebrew audio!
              Wolf
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

As been mentioned I wouldn't be doing this without your tools. How great to be able to design speakers with very little math or electronic back ground. Being a 30+ year carpenter not to much excited me when it came to building or designing anything until I came across speakers. The creativity can be endless.
                Thanks for the mention although I don't belong with the other names.

Dave
                http://www.pellegreneacoustics.com/

Trench Seam Method for MDF
                https://picasaweb.google.com/101632266659473725850

Comment

Pretty nice synopsis Jeff. I remember blowing people away with my SpeakerLab 30's back in the early 80's. Certainly the proliferation of design tools and CAD capability has opened up the field to anyone with patience and perseverance. I remember the first geek fest we did here in AZ. One or two superb designs, a few "pretty goods", and the rest were "compromised" a bit. The last couple years, there weren't any that I couldn't handle. It's amazing to think back to the old Mad board & bass list days, -- and realize many of the same debates are still raging today! :rolleyes:

The creativity of the boxes and driver configurations has far surpassed the commercial realm. Ironic, now that we've "arrived", the world belongs to MP3 players and earbuds. Pretty amazing to see the turnout at MWAF and the variety of approaches. I wouldn't want to be a judge. Kind of like doing Miss America. Nobody there you wouldn't be glad to go home with! :D
                  Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
                  "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
                  Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

I have only been at this a few years, so it's really good to get the perspective of those who have been doing this many years, and know that quality has been raised across the board.

What about quantity? I see many guys here churning out multiple builds a year. I can't imagine this was the case in the early days.

Aside from the emergence and improvement in design and communication tools, I bet long-term cost trends play a role too. Sure we complain about recent price increases, but in relative terms over the decades, I'm sure costs have come down for drivers, XO parts and cab materials, of course adjusting for changes in spending power (inflation).

I suppose there should be no surprise that what we see in DIY speaker building reflects the constant push in our economy/society overall for better, faster, cheaper.

Comment

My first ever 'DIY speaker' was in the 4th grade (about 1985). My dad had some Sony 3 ways and something happened that damaged one of the cabinets and he was going to toss them out. I took them and put them in a cardboard box at first, and I don't mean I packaged them up, the box was the cabinet :D. Eventually I built some particle board cabinets and found out a bit about how much better they sounded when firmly mounted (about 7th grade). Then I replaced the xovers w/ some ratshack ones having absolutely no idea what I was doing and they sounded a little better. Over the years I've played w/ lots of different speakers and over time figured out that even minor changes to things like the foam surround on woofers makes a big difference (sometimes bad, sometimes good). But, I never knew how you did the math to figure out how to make it all work.

Long story short, I still don't really understand it all- but I'm getting there :p! I just kind of stumbled on the DIY forums while googling something entirely different. I hope to someday get an understanding of xover and cabinet design, but until then I'll thoroughly enjoy using all you're wisdom!

Basically just wanted to say thanks. Thanks for taking the time to share it, and taking the time to help answer all my dumb questions. I feel like a kid again when I'm building speakers and it's not work, it's thoroughly enjoyable. Hopefully someday I'll have more time and money, and be able to purchase some of those tools it takes to voice speakers, design xovers, etc and be able to give back some of what I've gained. Thanks again guys
                      "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
                      "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

Curt's Speaker Design Works

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
                        - Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by davepellegrene View Post
                          As been mentioned I wouldn't be doing this without your tools. How great to be able to design speakers with very little math or electronic back ground. Being a 30+ year carpenter not to much excited me when it came to building or designing anything until I came across speakers. The creativity can be endless.
                          Thanks for the mention although I don't belong with the other names.

Dave
                          You're wrong there, Dave - you have earned your spot. Anyone who has seen and heard your speakers would agree. It has also been nice getting to know you and your family.
                          Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Jeff, what an excellent writing! The more I learn about this hobby, the more I find I don't know. Old commercial speakers have been finding me lately and as I dig into them (sometimes to repair, others to salvage parts) I see the state that commercial audio has been. Most were so built so poorly that salvaging them hardly is worth the effort. There are exceptions but they are few and far between. Even I with my admittedly limited knowledge and experience in home audio have been able to design and build a few sets that have far exceeded most of those older sets. This was only possible due to the help and software I have received by gentleman such as you Jeff and many others. So thank your for helping to make this crazy hobby easier and much more enjoyable!
                            https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

A most inspiring write-up! Thanks Jeff!

Comment

Excellent advice there, Curt

And thanks for the nice comments you gave on the judging sheets for my speakers.
                                Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Working...
                                X