Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Personal Commentary on the State of DIY Speakerbuilding

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
    Jeff, what an excellent writing! The more I learn about this hobby, the more I find I don't know. Old commercial speakers have been finding me lately and as I dig into them (sometimes to repair, others to salvage parts) I see the state that commercial audio has been. Most were so built so poorly that salvaging them hardly is worth the effort. There are exceptions but they are few and far between. Even I with my admittedly limited knowledge and experience in home audio have been able to design and build a few sets that have far exceeded most of those older sets. This was only possible due to the help and software I have received by gentleman such as you Jeff and many others. So thank your for helping to make this crazy hobby easier and much more enjoyable!
    "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
    Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
    Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
    Pioneer TX-9500 II
    Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
    Statement Monitors
    Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
    Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
    Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
      And thanks for the nice comments you gave on the judging sheets for my speakers.
      It was my pleasure to audition them, Jeff, as it was all the designs at MWAF. I wish we'd had a chance to chat more. -Next time, for sure!

Congratulations to all who brought designs to the competition!

C
      Curt's Speaker Design Works

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
      - Aristotle

Comment

Truly inspirational!

The venture capital side of the balance sheet (read: play money) has been coming up short in recent months, so my entry into this fine hobby has been delayed a bit longer than I hoped.

Still, with each passing month I find more about the DIY speaker world that appeals to me, and threads like this one only add fuel to that fire.

Thank you!
        https://www.facebook.com/lowecustomguitar

www.lowecustomguitars.com

Comment

Jeff,

Great overview of where this hobby has come from. I'm humbled by your comments. The community as a whole has spawned a lot of talented individuals with the passion to make great sounding speakers. Some individuals have stood out for me in my experience, as far as helping others.

I always was into audio, but didn't really get into DIY speakers until November 2005, when I found Parts Express. Kudo's to them for sponsoring such a great forum. At that time I received help from guys like Roman Bednarek and John K. These two, amongst others, where particularly helpful to me in my early attempts.

Later on, when I understood what a great teacher Jeff was, I always greedily poured over and lapped up his posts, saving many of them. Jeff is a rare teacher that has the ability to break down complex things and explain them so that they are much easier to understand. It's a rare talent, IMO. This does not even include the great tools he has made available to this community or the inspiring speakers he designed, like the Archos, which is one of the best I've heard, and is essentially a DIY design adapted to a commercial product.

There are a lot of folks in the community that contribute tirelessly to helping others with their designs and readily share their time and experience, like Paul Kittinger on the TL front and Pete S. and Wolf on all fronts, not to mention the great speakers they have been involved with. Dave P. is doing some really excellent things with his DIY waveguides, as did Dan P. before him with one of the original DIY waveguide efforts.

I have learned so much in the last 6 years and I’m constantly reminded, as I read many posts here, just how much I don't know and how much more there is to learn. I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks to everyone who continues to contribute to the hobby! What a great one it is. I agree with you Jeff, the quality of work is often stunningly good these days.
          Last edited by dlneubec; 07-23-2012, 09:10 PM.
          Dan N.

Comment

Jeff, this is a fine piece writing. It shows what makes our counrty great, the individual working in his garage. Look at Steve Jobs as just one example. I am very new to speaker building but am very happy to learn I am in such good company. My hobbyist background is in designing, building and flying R/C aircraft. I hope I can bring some helpfull hints to this great hobby as just a small token of gratitude. I have so much to learn I will become a pest, but be patient guys.

I would like to attend a DIY show. I use to live in Ohio but have invaded the south. I live in the Atlanta area. When and where are these events?
            Pure Sound

Comment

Originally posted by Pure Sound View Post
              Jeff, this is a fine piece writing. It shows what makes our counrty great, the individual working in his garage. Look at Steve Jobs as just one example. I am very new to speaker building but am very happy to learn I am in such good company. My hobbyist background is in designing, building and flying R/C aircraft. I hope I can bring some helpfull hints to this great hobby as just a small token of gratitude. I have so much to learn I will become a pest, but be patient guys.

I would like to attend a DIY show. I use to live in Ohio but have invaded the south. I live in the Atlanta area. When and where are these events?
              Pure Sound
              There's one in Iowa in October. We have had members from as far away as Orlando Florida come to that event. It's a big one, with many excellent entries every year. And the venue is among the best you can find for auditioning speakers.

Check the Iowa 2012 thread.
              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
              Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
              "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Really great piece! A perspective that was serendipitously timed with your interest and education. I was just sharing with some very un-technical friends a few weeks ago that were saying "I wish I could do something like that" in reference to some of my DIY audio projects. I pointed out how incredibly far a DIYer can go if "a little" time and effort are put into learning some basics. Look at WernerM's build this summer!

It's incredible what tools we have available to us now - technology, Internet, and people's generosity to share knowledge and wisdom has brought the cost of a $50,000 AudioPrecision/LarsonDavis Mic & Preamp/LEAP (or other software) capital investment package that was really only attainable to a major corporation (or George Soros) ...down to a in-every-home-PC and $125 for a calibrated mic, reasonably flat mic preamp, all with relatively low distortion. And even better, they are specifically geared towards loudspeakers. That's awesome.

Originally posted by Pure Sound View Post
                Pure Sound
                SEC DIY is happening near Mobile, AL on Nov. 10th! See link in signature for more info. We had two guys from Atlanta area last year (and at least one is joining us again)... Hope you can join us!
                SEC DIY 2014 Speaker Show is on! *November 8th*
                Wanna win a set of Newform Research R30 ribbons?!?!
                SEC DIY 2014 Thread

SEC DIY 2012 Speaker Show
                SEC DIY 2011 Speaker Show

Comment

Very well said Jeff !
                  ~ Mankind's Great Problem Is A Perfection Of Means But A Confusion Of Ends ~ Einstein

Comment

Nice writeup, Jeff!

I haven't posted here in years, but just happened to be at the PE site, then popped over here and logged in to reply!

Not sure if anyone remembers me after so long, but hello anyway. :D

Comment

Jeff

I haven't had time to be on the forum much lately, and this was the first thing I read coming back, and what a read it was!
                      Took me back to my early days, buying drivers from McGee radio with a lot of hype and no know-how and sticking them in a box. I think I used Utah coax's first, which had a rudimentary built in crossover so I didn't worry about it. The first speaker's I was ever involved in were my dad's, giant boxes like a 3 ft on a side cube, with a 15" Stromberg-Carlson coax. He found they sounded best facing the wall, so he put a girll on the back and turned them to the wall. Reflected sound preceeding Bose! I remembered the first LDC, a paper bound spiral sort of thing with a yellow cover that was about 1/4" thick, but at least it began to make sense out of all the variables. Somewhere along the line I discovered Audio Amateur, and then Speakerbuilder was published and I lapped it up!j Even did what you did and begain reading AES papers, most of which I didn't understand, but I could get the gist of.
                      So it indeed has been a journey for all of us, and its nice to have company that can light the way...thanks for everything.

Steve

Comment

Thanks for the trip down memory lane - man I loved going to the shack - my first build was a 3-1/2" full range w/ wizzer cone in mailing tubes -corner loaded- oh yeah powered by a very beat up boom box. Nice writing- We've come a long way.
                        "Over 50% of the people are below average" . . . Doug D.

Comment

Jeff, what pleasure to read your write up. I am almost 60 years old, I built my first set of speakers when I was in college with a Radio Shack woofer and horns. My own cross over.

That set is still being used by a dear friend of mine, though I wince when I hear them.

I currently have a system which I have never heard bested. Despite this I know I can move beyond these and am planning and sketching. It is this feeling of satisfaction coupled with a desire to exceed what currently exists that makes this wonderful hobby what it is.

Thank you so much, I will not forget your words.

Greg

Comment

Hi Jeff,

I read with interest you Personal Commentary on the State of DIY Speakerbuilding post.

It is hart warming and encouraging that the DIY speaker building scene is so alive and kicking over there in the USA.
                            Sadly there is very little over here in the UK.
                            I have been away from the "forum scene" for a few years and it is so nice for me to know that you are still around.
                            Years ago on the Madisound forum forum name was (Monty Golfear then !) my we had a few very positive exchanges, I was always very interested in what you had to say.
                            After taking my own DIY days forward into getting involved with some guys over in Sarasota , Florida and forming a small speaker company it has certainly opened my eyes regarding the commercial manufacturers and how straight jacketed they are in their thinking and approach to designing speakers.
                            Anyway I digress.....it's nice to be back on the scene and bump into a familiar friendly face.

Cheers Ian Knight,

www.knightloudspeakers.com
                            Last edited by Ian Knight; 01-22-2013, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Knight View Post
                              Hi Jeff,

I read with interest you Personal Commentary on the State of DIY Speakerbuilding post.

It is hart warming and encouraging that the DIY speaker building scene is so alive and kicking over there in the USA.
                              Sadly there is very little over here in the UK.
                              I have been away from the "forum scene" for a few years and it is so nice for me to know that you are still around.
                              Years ago on the Madisound forum forum name was (Monty Golfear then !) my we had a few very positive exchanges, I was always very interested in what you had to say.
                              After taking my own DIY days forward into getting involved with some guys over in Sarasota , Florida and forming a small speaker company it has certainly opened my eyes regarding the commercial manufacturers and how straight jacketed they are in there thinking and approach to designing speakers.
                              Anyway I digress.....it's nice to be back on the scene and bump into a familiar friendly face.

Cheers Ian Knight,

Ian,

Yes, I remember Monty! Nice to see you again. I even signed up to check out your Ebook.

Jeff
                              Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                                Ian,

Yes, I remember Monty! Nice to see you again. I even signed up to check out your Ebook.

Jeff
                                Hi Jeff,

Glad you remembered Monty!.....great to hear from you.

Hope you like the ebook. A little taster with more to come.

I welcome your comments as ever.

Cheers for the reply.

Ian

Comment

Working...
                                X