Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A couple questions on a new cabinet build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple questions on a new cabinet build.

Alright, so I've decided to build some cabinets with a design very similar to the dayton audio .50ft^3 cabinets. I want to build them out of 3/4" birch plywood. First off, I want to make the back wall of the speakers removable and i want to make a method of clipping the crossovers onto it since they are already built. Can anybody help me figure that out? And also, I will be lock mitering each piece so that they fit together seamlessly and dont show the plywood edges so that i can just put a nice stain on the plywood itself. The problem is that i want to make the front baffle a nice ebony stain and the rest of the cabinet a dark walnut stain, can anybody think of an easy way to do this? I can go with one stain for the whole thing if it is too complicated. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Re: A couple questions on a new cabinet build.

Originally posted by sunny2151 View Post
    Alright, so I've decided to build some cabinets with a design very similar to the dayton audio .50ft^3 cabinets. I want to build them out of 3/4" birch plywood. First off, I want to make the back wall of the speakers removable and i want to make a method of clipping the crossovers onto it since they are already built. Can anybody help me figure that out? And also, I will be lock mitering each piece so that they fit together seamlessly and dont show the plywood edges so that i can just put a nice stain on the plywood itself. The problem is that i want to make the front baffle a nice ebony stain and the rest of the cabinet a dark walnut stain, can anybody think of an easy way to do this? I can go with one stain for the whole thing if it is too complicated. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    My suggestion would be to make the front baffle overlap the sides, and do a roundover on it, this way you can stain it seperately. As far as the rear baffle, use weather a 1X2 or something to that effect inside that the baffle can screw into, and use t-fasteners. This way you can use a machine screw that will thread into the T-fasteners to hold the baffle tight, and weatherstripping will seal it.
    HAGD,
    Marc

Even though I try to tell everyone upfront, understand that I am still a Newb. I wish the status of Seasoned Veteran/Senior Member, etc. was earned with time not posts...

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

Comment

Originally posted by WernerM View Post
      My suggestion would be to make the front baffle overlap the sides, and do a roundover on it, this way you can stain it seperately. As far as the rear baffle, use weather a 1X2 or something to that effect inside that the baffle can screw into, and use t-fasteners. This way you can use a machine screw that will thread into the T-fasteners to hold the baffle tight, and weatherstripping will seal it.
      That's a good idea. I'm either going to do that or all ebony. Do you have any method of clipping the crossover plate to that rear baffle, so that it could be removed at any time for repair?

Comment

'Y sertainly! Home Despot or Lowe's or a hardware store has nylon spacers in different ID's and lengths. Pick eight that will take round headed sheet metal screws of your choice, put quick connects on the inside speaker leads, attach XO board to rear baffle. Bingo! FWIW, I'd use some itchy fiberglass insulation over the XO board, just in case a resistor gets a little on the warm side, or mount it component side "down", so that isn't an issue.

Comment

How about mounting the crossover to the back of the cabinet, and make a small enclosure that you can cover it with. Easier access for tweaking (and showing off). Plus, you can keep things away from the driver motors.

For the birch plywood, don't use it unless it's something like Baltic Birch ply. Typical stuff from Lowes is filled with voids and doesn't make for a very nice enclosure material. If you have the good stuff, it's GREAT stuff, and will make for a very rigid enclosure. Consider cutting the panels with 45 degree cuts all around, so that only the outside surface shows. You could get all the pieces test fit perfectly, and then finish them separately, doing the baffle in a different dye from the sides, and then putting them together afterward. A little touch up and final seal and you'd be done. Mount that crossover on the back and cover it with a nice wood cover made from 1/4" ply that pops off with a couple screws.
          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
          Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I've had very good success attaching crossover assemblies to the insides of speaker walls using industrial strength Velcro, making them very easy to remove. Depending on the size of their base boards, a 1" long piece of Velcro in each corner is usually enough.
            Paul

That's a good idea. I'm either going to do that or all ebony. Do you have any method of clipping the crossover plate to that rear baffle, so that it could be removed at any time for repair?

Comment

How about mounting the crossover to the back of the cabinet, and make a small enclosure that you can cover it with. Easier access for tweaking (and showing off). Plus, you can keep things away from the driver motors.

For the birch plywood, don't use it unless it's something like Baltic Birch ply. Typical stuff from Lowes is filled with voids and doesn't make for a very nice enclosure material. If you have the good stuff, it's GREAT stuff, and will make for a very rigid enclosure. Consider cutting the panels with 45 degree cuts all around, so that only the outside surface shows. You could get all the pieces test fit perfectly, and then finish them separately, doing the baffle in a different dye from the sides, and then putting them together afterward. A little touch up and final seal and you'd be done. Mount that crossover on the back and cover it with a nice wood cover made from 1/4" ply that pops off with a couple screws.
              I think im going to make an extra rear baffle for each speaker in case i want to make different crossovers. And the birch ply at my local lowes seems pretty nice. I used it to build a desk with very good results. Do you know of a common place to find baltic birch?

Comment

Check a lumber yard or local cabinet shop. They might be able to lead you to the right place. There was recently a thread on MDF vs BB, and what most people ran into was that the Birch plywood available at Lowes or HD is just one layer of BB, then usually multiple layers of a lesser wood. The problem is that a lot of those layers have voids in them, and not only can these voids appear at the edges of your cuts, creating bad edges, but also they can cause some cabinet resonances.
                HAGD,
                Marc

Even though I try to tell everyone upfront, understand that I am still a Newb. I wish the status of Seasoned Veteran/Senior Member, etc. was earned with time not posts...

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

Comment

Genuine Baltic Birch is a specific type of plywood, using specific woodb species.

Birch veneered plywood is neither, including the veneer.
                  I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                  OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                  Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                  Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                  Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                  LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
                    Genuine Baltic Birch is a specific type of plywood, using specific woodb species.

Birch veneered plywood is neither, including the veneer.
                    Are there any alternatives to MDF and genuine BB? I hate MDF and BB seems a little pricey.

Comment

Are there any alternatives to MDF and genuine BB? I hate MDF and BB seems a little pricey.
                      Marine grade plywood is better than the typical construction grade, but would need to be veneered when you're finished building the cabinet.

You could probably get all the BB you need for your project for about $50. Yeah, it's pricier than MDF, but it still shouldn't break your bank. I can't imagine you not being able to get all your panels from a single 5x5 sheet.
                      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I think im going to make an extra rear baffle for each speaker in case i want to make different crossovers. And the birch ply at my local lowes seems pretty nice. I used it to build a desk with very good results. Do you know of a common place to find baltic birch?
                        Look carefully at the layers of the Lowes birch faced ply. The half inch thick stuff will have like 3 layers of soft wood, then a very thin veneer face.
                        Even their regular A-B grade 1/2 inch ply has 5 or 6 layers of pine.

I've used the funky birch faced ply in the past, but I always tell myself "never again" - "just postpone the project and get some decent stuff"

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                        "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                        SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                        My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Marine grade plywood is better than the typical construction grade, but would need to be veneered when you're finished building the cabinet.

You could probably get all the BB you need for your project for about $50. Yeah, it's pricier than MDF, but it still shouldn't break your bank. I can't imagine you not being able to get all your panels from a single 5x5 sheet.
                          $50 isnt too bad, I just need start looking around i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
                            Look carefully at the layers of the Lowes birch faced ply. The half inch thick stuff will have like 3 layers of soft wood, then a very thin veneer face.
                            Even their regular A-B grade 1/2 inch ply has 5 or 6 layers of pine.

I've used the funky birch faced ply in the past, but I always tell myself "never again" - "just postpone the project and get some decent stuff"
                            You're right. I was looking at that wood and it seemed to have three layers of the crappy launa wood. I'm think about either going with the BB, or the PE cabinets themselves since they seem pretty nice. I tell myself "never again" for mdf, i hate that stuff.

Comment

You're right. I was looking at that wood and it seemed to have three layers of the crappy launa wood. I'm think about either going with the BB, or the PE cabinets themselves since they seem pretty nice. I tell myself "never again" for mdf, i hate that stuff.

I use MDF, but the dust! It's so fine, you need a particulate respirator. White dust masks are NOT adequate. I found a local lumberyard that always has the same color/consistency of MDF. I've worked with the big-box store stuff and there is a difference; and they never seem to have the same MDF that I bought the last time. Color and consistency are always different. But a good quality plywood is so much easier on your person and tools. The PE cabinets, while MDF, are very nice with 1" thick front baffles. We used to sell $5000-a-pair speakers that didn't have as nice a cabinet as what PE is offering. While I question myself about using PE cabinets and how much "DIY" there is to it, I think it's a terrific alternative for those that don't have a lot of confidence with their woodworking skills, or don't have the tools and/or space to make all that dust. I have the tools and space and still like to use the PE boxes.

John A.
                              "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                              Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                              Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                              Pioneer TX-9500 II
                              Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                              Statement Monitors
                              Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                              Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                              Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Working...
                              X