Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MWAF - TOM Z, YOUR CELLO's WON 2nd Place in >$200 category (AWARDS CORRECTION)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MWAF - TOM Z, YOUR CELLO's WON 2nd Place in >$200 category (AWARDS CORRECTION)

Folks,

We are going to correct the 2nd place winner in the over $200 category from the Speaker Design Contest at MWAF.

In the flurry of things we had project numbers mis-categorized which had placed moosepeaker /aka George M's Stormy's as the 2nd place winners. We verified that all other scoring data was correct-- and because this mistake crossed categories, we re-audited the two categories involved and found that no other winners in the categories were impacted. We have apologized to George---and Tom here publicly, and want to thank them for understanding this oversight and correction.

TomZ, please contact me via PM so we can get your award to you!

Thanks to all who participated again!

If you would like to see Tom's work you can visit this link: CELLO's

Click image for larger version

Name:	CelloswithGrills.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	1181755

Re: MWAF - TOM Z, YOUR CELLO's WON 2nd Place in >$200 category (AWARDS CORRECTION)

Originally posted by richt@daytonaudio.com View Post
    Folks,

We are going to correct the 2nd place winner in the over $200 category from the Speaker Design Contest at MWAF.

In the flurry of things we had project numbers mis-categorized which had placed moosepeaker /aka George M's Stormy's as the 2nd place winners. We verified that all other scoring data was correct-- and because this mistake crossed categories, we re-audited the two categories involved and found that no other winners in the categories were impacted. We have apologized to George---and Tom here publicly, and want to thank them for understanding this oversight and correction.

TomZ, please contact me via PM so we can get your award to you!

Thanks to all who participated again!

If you would like to see Tom's work you can visit this link: CELLO's

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27997[/ATTACH]

That's interesting, because I commented in my report that Tom's Cello's were among the best speakers I heard all day and I ranked them second behind Dan's speakers. I was disappointed that they didn't win anything. I am happy to see that he did, in fact, do very well. Congrats Tom!

Jeff
    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Re: MWAF - TOM Z, YOUR CELLO's WON 2nd Place in >$200 category (AWARDS CORRECTION)

Way to go Tom, your speakers deserved it.
      Jeff

Comment

Congrats, Tom! You deserve it, but I do feel bad for George....:(

Mark
        You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

I, too, had rated Tom's Cellos second to Dan's Echelons; they sounded good and looked even better. Congrats, Tom.
          Paul

Comment

I fully expected Tom's to be in the top 2 as well and was very surprised when they were not. I told him I thought we might be seeing them on a certain catalog cover. Great job, Tom. I'm glad the mistake was discovered. They looked great, workmanship was excellent, lots of originality in the cabinet design, and the sound top notch.
            Dan N.

Comment

Congratulations Tom, I hope this make your back feel better!
              John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

thats great tom.
                thanks for letting us know rich.
                " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Wow, I was just about as floored and surprised as can be when I saw that title up there on the screen. What a nice surprise, I sure didn't expect to win anything at the MWAF, it was great just to be a part of an event with so many of my Tech Talk friends whose work I admire.

I tend to be a man of few words as you could probably tell when I was trying to describe my speakers to the group, but I just want to say thanks to everyone for the compliments on my Cello's. It really means a lot coming from you guys.

One last little pic...

I had just finished bolting in the drivers and was giving them the first listen in a few years; it was less than two days before we left for the MWAF and the poly still smelled. Very excited to hear them sounding good even just hooked to an iPod and my home made amp. I think hoisting them up to the living room solo didn't help the back situation though!

Thanks again everyone so much for the kind words.

TomZ
                  *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                  *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

No doubt Tom, nice job! Congrats on a job well done and glad you brought them to the show!!
                    A mains
                    The Ventures
                    Open Invit8tions
                    RSR
                    Sound Troopers
                    Acorns
                    DGBG's
                    The Monuments

Comment

Congratulations on your win Tom. Can I request you to post details of your design?

Comment

Tom, I remember following this build and thinking how crazy it was that you had to build funky jigs to help nail down the back panel....LOL. However, all that hard work has been properly recognized. Congrats!! I do hope to hear these soon at a DIY near me!
                        Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Originally posted by keith_correa View Post
                          Congratulations on your win Tom. Can I request you to post details of your design?
                          Keith, I just posted a little write-up in the speaker project section. Thanks for the interest!
                          TomZ
                          *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                            Keith, I just posted a little write-up in the speaker project section. Thanks for the interest!
                            TomZ
                            Thanks!!!

Comment

Stunning!
                              Stellar!
                              Breath-Taking!
                              Classy!

I'll think of more later and hit the exclamation point key even harder next time.

Comment

Working...
                              X