Mark K's two way with RS225 and RS28A sound quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark K's two way with RS225 and RS28A sound quality

I didn't want to add this to the existing Rub/Buzz thread...

I may want to tweak the crossover a little because I'm hearing something that is not quite to my liking. It isn't very often and maybe it will change after break in. I just noticed it a little bit ago when I was watching the USA program called Suits. I had it turned up louder than normal and while Harvey was talking I noticed something unpleasing about his voice.

I think I'll set up OmniMic and record the frequency response to see if I can identify the frequency where the anomaly occurs.

Re: Mark K's two way with RS225 and RS28A sound quality

If you can get a distortion sweep, that may be more helpful; Even impedance may show something awry. In either case, you'd be looking for a bobble or distortion bump that's not usual.

Or, perhaps they were just at the limits of what the tweeter likes to do given output SPL and all the rest?
    diVine Audio

Comment

Originally posted by johngalt47 View Post
      I didn't want to add this to the existing Rub/Buzz thread...

I may want to tweak the crossover a little because I'm hearing something that is not quite to my liking. It isn't very often and maybe it will change after break in. I just noticed it a little bit ago when I was watching the USA program called Suits. I had it turned up louder than normal and while Harvey was talking I noticed something unpleasing about his voice.

I think I'll set up OmniMic and record the frequency response to see if I can identify the frequency where the anomaly occurs.

I've built a couple dozen designs with the RS28A-4, and IMO, the stock tweeter doesn't sound good below 2k.

Taking it apart, I realized there was no pole piece stuffing. A little cotton makes an improvement down low, and while you are in there, see if there are any obvious air leaks and check to see if the felt pad under the dome is still glued down. Taking the back cup off can be tedious. Be careful if you use a knife. The glue will give slowly as you pry it off.
      "Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

Diffraction Happens

Comment

It is hard to say what is the cause. This design is getting a bit long in the tooth. The "updated" design was done in 2008. It's possible that the drivers have changed a bit such that the crossover would need some tweaking. The RS parameters have changed a bit over time. If the frequency response looks good, you're welcome to send me the tweeters to test.

Although there were some QC issues with these a number of years back, all of the rs28's I've tested have no trouble from a distortion standpoint crossing below 2k. If the speaker is too forward it may benefit from the same modification Paul and i did for the duet, namely an amp side tweeter leg resistor.
        audioheuristics isn't around right now...

Comment

John, I was watching the same show (I love it) and heard the same thing. KEF uni-q speakers from newegg. I think it was in the dubbing not your speakers.
          Eric
          "Every man owes a part of his time and money to the business or industry in which he is engaged.
          No man has a moral right to withhold his support from an organization that is striving to improve conditions within his sphere."
          -Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Eric, I'm glad you mentioned this and what you heard. Often, TV sound can be quite good, but it's definitely not consistently good. I would not recommend anyone critiquing their speakers based on TV sound as the source.
            Paul

Originally posted by ericanderson View Post
            John, I was watching the same show (I love it) and heard the same thing. KEF uni-q speakers from newegg. I think it was in the dubbing not your speakers.
            Eric

Comment

Usually, the USA network has very good sound, but in this case apparently they goofed. By the way, even though the show Leverage isn't that good, the music in the old episodes was really good.

Comment

I both disagree and agree with you; I think Leverage on the whole is good as is the music. Still, I don't think anyone should ever rely on TV sound quality to judge and critique their speakers. Do that with a source you know very well and, that, you also know is very, very good.
                Paul

Originally posted by johngalt47 View Post
                Usually, the USA network has very good sound, but in this case apparently they goofed. By the way, even though the show Leverage isn't that good, the music in the old episodes was really good.

Comment

Working...
                X