Vifa M18wo-09-08?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vifa M18wo-09-08?

There happens to be a pair of these on e-bay with a starting bid of $65.00.

Does anyone here know anything about them?

Remember though,,, if they are good, I found em first!

Mark

Re: Vifa M18wo-09-08?

Don't know, but I'd love to land a pair and have someone design a center channel with them for my ACI Spirits, lol.

Comment

probably decent drivers.
      http://www.tymphany.com/files/resour...18WO-09-08.pdf
      " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
      Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
      http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

I used the 6 ohm version in a 3way. I like them alot. A number of years ago someone did a 2 way with a Scan Speak 9500 I think called the Rhino's. You may want to look them up. I think he concluded the mids were not as good as he would have liked, that is the reason I did a 3-way. Of course you got tweets that go down to 1,400 Hz so that might not be an issue.

Comment

Thanks Guys!

It does look like I'll need a tweeter that goes pretty low, but for 65 bucks, it seems like a good deal.

Any tweeter suggestions?

Thanks again, Mark

Comment

A Vifa oldie but a real goodie. Used in some very good OEM designs over the years. Good bass, very nice mids. Not hard to work with. Well worth $65. There used to be some DIY builds on teh M18 but that was 10-20 years ago. Go for it. I think it was Montana speakers that used them, or something like that.

Comment

Re: OEM drivers vs 'big brand' drivers...
              xx
              xx
              Vifa XT25TG30-04 Audio Physic Avanti III ($8,500/pr)
              DAT Amadeus Media ($1,180/pr)
              nOrh Prism 6.9 ($1,195/pr)
              Vifa DX25TG05 nOrh Prism 6.1 ($795/pr)
              nOrh Prism 6.6 ($900/pr)
              Vifa D27-tweeter Event 20/20
              Halladay Acoustics Hallavox SE ($1750/pr)
              Spendor S1 ($1,000/pr)
              Spendor FL6 ($2,000/pr)
              Spendor FL8 ($2,500/pr)
              Vifa D27TG-35-06 Dunlavy Signature VI ($25,000/pr)
              Vifa D27TG-45-06 Joseph RM7si ($1,300/pr)
              Vifa P13WH-00-08 Dunlavy Signature VI ($25,000/pr)
              Halladay Acoustics Hallavox SE ($1750/pr)
              Vifa PL27TG-35-06 nOrh 6.5 ($900/pr)
              Vifa M18WO-09-08 Sonus Faber Concerto $3,500/pr w/ PR)
              Meadowlark Kestral ($1,250/pr)
              nOrh 6.5 ($900/pr)
              nOrh Prism 6.9 ($1,195/pr)
              Vifa M21WN-07 Snell JIV*
              Vifa P21WO-20-08 Dunlavy Signature VI ($25,000/pr)
              Vifa M22WR-09-06 Manger Zerobox 107/3 ($6,009+/pr)
              Manger Zerobox 107/1 ($3,392+/pr)
              Vifa PL22WR-09-08 nOrh Subwoofer ($1,500/pr)
              Vifa M26WR-09-08 Halladay Acoustics Hallavox SE ($1750/pr)
              Montana XP ($15,000/pr)

Comment

Dst,,,, your the best! Thanks, I'm going to go bid on them right now! Mark

Comment

The Seas 27TDFC and 27TBFC can go low and are reasonably priced. The ScanSpeak HDS (formerly Peerless HDS) is a very nice tweet, but a bit more expensive. The Dayton RS tweet silk or aluminum can crossover low. You have some nice choices to pick from

Comment

Thanks Bill, I'll check into those. I was looking at the vifa xt25tg-30-04. It also seems to go low enough. Having an all Vifa system kinda makes sense to me, though I'm not really sure if it matters.

What do you think? Mark

Comment

I'm pretty sure Jim Salk had an MTM design with that driver.....I saw it in Chicago maybe seven years ago.

Evidently Jeff Bagby used it too. I wonder if the "commercial design" was for Salk?

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...fa-M18WO-09-08

Comment

Hey Marvin, well I only have two of them, so I'm just doing a simple two way. Thanks though, and oh by the way, we're neighbors. I'm in the western suburbs.

What do think of my tweeter choice? Mark

Comment

How low is low? With impedance compensation, the XT25 can cross at 2K, but there are a lot of people that won't even try it below 2.5k. I'm crossing it at 1800, with an aggressive series notch across it, but I have no idea how it sounds, nor will I for some time, since the response I have is simmed only, and I lack the funds to actually build the thing.

If you need to go lower than 2k, I'd go with the RS28F, or the Seas 27TDFC or TFC/G.

IMHO, of course.

Mark
                          You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Hey Mark65, thanks! First off I'm really new at this, which means I really don't know what I'm talking about. However, by just looking at the published responces I was thinking a crossover point of about 2k. I haven't simmed anything yet and I don't know if I'm even capable. I can build a box and solder a text book crossover and make the thing work. But after downloading Jeff's pcd program everything starts to blur! I have one "prototype" build under my belt, and now I want to go with the "Model 1" build.

Right now I'm just doing the research and trying to learn. I'll start making saw dust in the fall when the weather turns.

My logic of using a vifa tweeter is that I hope if the drivers are from the same manufacturer they will play nice together. I read that most people don't seem to care about that, so I guess my question is,,,, can a properly designed crossover make any drivers work well together?

Thanks again, and answer when ya can, Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Psycoacoustics View Post
                              Hey Marvin, well I only have two of them, so I'm just doing a simple two way. Thanks though, and oh by the way, we're neighbors. I'm in the western suburbs.

What do think of my tweeter choice? Mark
                              Great! One more DIYer in the Chicago area!

You're closer to Paul Carmody than me, and he is more qualified to advise about drivers. (I just build other's designs). Paul is pretty busy this summer so just learn what you can from everyone.

Marv

Comment

Working...
                              X