X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• takitaj
    replied
    Re: CNC baffle cutting service

Agreed, doable. I wasn't arguing that, I meant my CNC. I missed the "regular router" part in your post too, sorry about that. You sure could do it, and with a circle jig, absolutely. Probably not fun and possibly risky but definetly doable.

Is your drill press one of the older ones that are double ended? I got one of those from my grandfather when he passed away last year. One side is geared down with a drill chuck then you Loosen the lock and rotate it around, then it's a 1/4" high speed router. The speed is controlled electronicly with a knob. It's pretty cool and advanced technology for back then . (60's I think) I haven't used the router side yet but the drill press is nice. It's kinda loud because of the gearbox so I usually just use the modern one.

TJ

Leave a comment:

• cradeldorf
    replied

Yes I have played with aluminum and it cuts rather easily I have one of those $40 Black and decker routers. :D but I agree that I wouldn't risk my business cnc router for doing a single set of baffles either. And I agree the shipping would be pricey too. Plus If I need to cover them in carpet or something to get better sound then it would be a waste. I was thinking about Knife edging the panels on the sides and top about 2" As far as moving them around after they're done I don't think they'd weigh any more than my double 3/4 thick 9 foot cabs I'm using now. I use those things for sliding furniture around with.

Thanks for the input and Ideas guys.

Leave a comment:

• r-carpenter
    replied

Originally posted by takitaj View Post
    The bits aren't really the problem. It's possible to do but it's designed as a wood router and has open ways. It doesn't do well with metal chips getting lodged in there or getting sucked up into the router or into the controller box. :( I've done small engravings or cutouts very carefuly on 1/8" material using very shallow cuts and standing there with the air gun blowing chips away. Anything signifigant just wouldn't be enconomical given the length of time it would take or the risk to the machine. Here's the piece I did for my amp that I built for myself. I did the rear panel too but I can't seem to find the pic.

TJ

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36544[/ATTACH]
    I am not saying you should do it with the set up designed for wood/mdf and such. But if cradeldorf has his hart set on aluminum baffles, it's quite possible to machine. Even if he has to buy a router which will bite the dust in the end or has to be rebuild, it's only a $200 new or much much less, used on ebay. He gets to learn something and possibly keep the tools.
    Driver recesses can be cut using the same circle jigs. On metal I use Val-Cut because I have a large drill press but router will work too. Flat straight work in a small amount is very doable without CNC and possibly cheaper in the end.

Leave a comment:

• TN Allen
    replied

Very nicely done! I assume you could do something similar in wood, or Corian? That could make a nice front/back panel.

Leave a comment:

• takitaj
    replied

The bits aren't really the problem. It's possible to do but it's designed as a wood router and has open ways. It doesn't do well with metal chips getting lodged in there or getting sucked up into the router or into the controller box. :( I've done small engravings or cutouts very carefuly on 1/8" material using very shallow cuts and standing there with the air gun blowing chips away. Anything signifigant just wouldn't be enconomical given the length of time it would take or the risk to the machine. Here's the piece I did for my amp that I built for myself. I did the rear panel too but I can't seem to find the pic.

TJ

Click image for larger version

Name:	ampface.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	1149627

Leave a comment:

• r-carpenter
    replied

Originally posted by cradeldorf View Post
    Is Aluminum out of the question? I'm gonna be doing some open baffles and they are 20" wide x 38" tall, Some 1/2 or 3/4 would be quite costly but I bet they'd sure look pretty all polished up or anodized.
    That's got to be shipped on the pallet. You could have a local shop cut the panels to size and then use regular router with Al bit ($40 Onsrud) to cut driver recesses. Round cutouts are not much more difficult then MDF.

Leave a comment:

• takitaj
    replied

cradeldorf: I'm sorry, aluminum is really not an option for me. I'm pretty much limited to non metalic materials. Plus Greywarden has a point, the shipping would insane! You could put it towards a really nice cabinet instead. :D

Rich: Thank you for the opportunity! I will see what I can get together and post it up. I usually ask if it's ok to display the work I've done and I haven't been refused yet. It's been more me worrying about sounding to commercial about it. With your blessing I'll feel more comfortable doing it. Thank you again! By the way, you can order blank baffles with the rest of your parts from PE and have them shipped directly here for free if it's over $100. Then you only have to pay shipping one way and your speakers will be all ready to put together! I've done this several times and it works out well.

To all: My Brother is getting married this weekend, out of state, and I'm going nuts trying to get ready. lol I'll be leaving Friday morning and returning Monday and I'll be slow in responding until then. I'm going to sneak my laptop into the suitcase, much to my wife's dismay. Bare with me.

TJ

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by cradeldorf View Post
    Is Aluminum out of the question? I'm gonna be doing some open baffles and they are 20" wide x 38" tall, Some 1/2 or 3/4 would be quite costly but I bet they'd sure look pretty all polished up or anodized.
    Get some cut with MDF and wrap them in vinyl. They make vinyl in all kinds of metallic look, including chrome.

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

You have to get a second mortgage for the shipping on those and forget about ever moving them around lol.

Leave a comment:

• cradeldorf
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by richt@daytonaudio.com View Post
    Could you perhaps ask the designers if they would allow you to index the library of projects in order that others could use/share and build using your services?

Thanks.
    Thanks Rich. Tom's a great guy, easy to work with, and does fantastic quality work.

I'll post a few pics here so that the gang can see what Tom can do. He did each of these baffles (the first two feature PE cabinets!!!) We did the final prep and had them painted (the big one at the bottom is only primed).

Leave a comment:

• richt@daytonaudio.com
    replied

Originally posted by takitaj View Post
    Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm still here. I try not to advertise so there may be some that didn't know I was, or that I was still doing it. Those that I have done work for (thank you!) can attest to the quality and I'd be glad to show off some of my past projects. You can check out the recent "Who's making sawdust" thread for one example of some baffles that I did for Pete S.. My CNC is a great tool but only one in the arsenal and not suited to every aspect of a project, both quality wise & cost.

Could you perhaps ask the designers if they would allow you to index the library of projects in order that others could use/share and build using your services?

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• takitaj
    replied

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm still here. I try not to advertise so there may be some that didn't know I was, or that I was still doing it. Those that I have done work for (thank you!) can attest to the quality and I'd be glad to show off some of my past projects. You can check out the recent "Who's making sawdust" thread for one example of some baffles that I did for Pete S.. My CNC is a great tool but only one in the arsenal and not suited to every aspect of a project, both quality wise & cost. There's no substitute for experience. So if you want to compare quotes then feel free to send over what you have and I'll see what I can do. I know I can't meet everyone's budget but you'll never know if you don't ask.

See the beginning of this thread for more information and ways to contact me.

.....Back into the shadows

Thanks!
    TJ

Leave a comment:

• insperationaudio
    replied

I am interested in having some work done also. Will get back to you with spec's.
    Francis

Leave a comment:

• takitaj
    replied

It's not a problem! When ever you're ready.

I should be getting together a bunch of pics of stuff I've done so far real soon. A bunch of baffles, a few flat packs and even a completely finished/veneered tower.

TJ

Leave a comment:

Working...
X