Subwoofer Motor Brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subwoofer Motor Brace

I recently purchased a pair of Audiopulse Axis 15 subwoofers. I have begun building the cabinets. They are going to be 24" cubes with doubled up 3/4" MDF walls all around. I will also be flush mounting the drivers so they will only be secured to one layer of MDF. I plan on using threaded inserts (http://www.ezlok.com/InsertsWood/softWood.html) instead of T-Nuts as I've had good luck with them before and they still allow me to remove the driver if needed.

However, the Axis drivers being 55lbs each are a bit heavier than I've dealt with before and I'm trying to decide if I need to incorporate motor supports into the internal bracing of the cabinets. Has anyone had any problems with the heavier drivers?

Re: Subwoofer Motor Brace

Can you mount them firing down? That will solve the problem.

Comment

I've mounted a 13Av.2 (roughly 60 lbs) in 1/2" MDF for a short, SHORT amount of time and it didn't move. Also in 3/4" MDF for a while and it went no where in my mustang with me driving like an idiot. I think you'll be ok. And if not, just throw some blanks on the back of the baffle where you plan on putting the nuts.
      Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

perhaps you could just inset a 1/2 inch for more strength.
        " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
        Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
        http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Regent View Post
          ...They are going to be 24" cubes with doubled up 3/4" MDF walls all around.
          Want a pair made of double 1"MDF - free!

...I'm trying to decide if I need to incorporate motor supports into the internal bracing of the cabinets. Has anyone had any problems with the heavier drivers?
          I once saw pictures of a small-but-mighty sub whose magnet tore the basket apart in a violent impact.

I always try to brace the bass driver in my builds, so it's connected to the box mass from a conservation of momentum standpoint. Same sort of reason folks like spikes for feet. Also, consider adding a ring of MDF behind the mounting ring, if you're going to rebate all the way through one layer of MDF... cheap insurance.

HAve fun,
          Frnak

Comment

Originally posted by arlis_1957@yahoo.com
            perhaps you could just inset a 1/2 inch for more strength.
            Unfortunately the mounting flange on the driver is just about 3/4" deep. I'm more worried about the heavy motor just hanging in the box.

Originally posted by fbov View Post
            Want a pair made of double 1"MDF - free!
            Thanks for the offer, I already have all of the pieces cut except for the braces and the driver recesses.

Originally posted by fbov View Post
            I once saw pictures of a small-but-mighty sub whose magnet tore the basket apart in a violent impact.
            I always try to brace the bass driver in my builds, so it's connected to the box mass from a conservation of momentum standpoint. Same sort of reason folks like spikes for feet. Also, consider adding a ring of MDF behind the mounting ring, if you're going to rebate all the way through one layer of MDF... cheap insurance.
            This is more what I was concerned with. I know SVS does so for shipping their subs which isn't as big of a concern for me, although the subs will be shipped at some point when I move.

This is my original plan, I just haven't settled on the final design for the braces. I'm concerned about trying to line up the baffles and the braces to cut the holes so they all line up correctly. Gotta figure out a good way to line them up to drill a pilot hole through them at the same time for the circle jig.

Comment

Similar to Frank I make sure my braces touch the back of the driver. It would not be much trouble to box in the motor. I say that because I mount the driver in the baffle while one side, usually the back is off, then I build in the braces.

I do this build without gasket tape then add the gasket tape to the driver and the brace at final assembly.

Just be careful to not block the motor vent.
              John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                Similar to Frank I make sure my braces touch the back of the driver. It would not be much trouble to box in the motor. I say that because I mount the driver in the baffle while one side, usually the back is off, then I build in the braces.

I do this build without gasket tape then add the gasket tape to the driver and the brace at final assembly.

Just be careful to not block the motor vent.
                This is exactly what I figure I will have to do, glue the walls in so I can line up and test fit the braces. Then I can glue the top on. I'm just hoping I can get it right on the first try cause I have just enough wood to get it done. I guess if I have to buy more so be it.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X