No announcement yet.

OT: Still Going Strong vs. Junk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My grandmother bought a new Frigidaire fridge when I was 12. I am 77 now and I still use it and it will freeze solid if I set the thermostat too low. Of course Frigidaire was one of the best in the world at that time when the US was king. Bought some Chinese LED light bulbs that claim 22 years life. They last 6 months. Bought 6 swivel casters rated at 330 lb. at Harbor Junk for $6 each. Work great sitting still.
    I was tired and got tired again so now I am Re tired.

Comment

Modern day fridges are particularly bad I'm finding. And it doesn't seem to be brand dependant. I just had to replace the main board on my fridge (a Maytag) after about 7yrs. My in-laws GE went after 2yrs. Two of my siblings had their's go (KitchenAid after 5yrs and Samsung after ~5yrs). The boards aren't cheap either, mine cost $500 but it better than $2-3,000 for a new fridge.

Carbon13

Comment

This is a reverse side of monopolization within capitalist mode of production. All manufacturers are racing to the bottom for the lowest retail price at the expense of the quality and longevity. Competition, upside down.
        http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
          This is a reverse side of monopolization within capitalist mode of production. All manufacturers are racing to the bottom for the lowest retail price at the expense of the quality and longevity. Competition, upside down.
          Excellent point.

Comment

Originally posted by AEIOU View Post

If it wasn't such a long drive to Australia, I'm certain we'd have a few cold ones while listening to Hendrix.
            Or an even longer swim...

Geoff

Comment

The attached photo should not be viewed by people who may be offended by what is almost a swear word, but it is an actual Chinese product, of which I bought half a dozen as a joke - these spanners were only 50 cents at a discount hardware store.

However, they are without question the worst tool I have ever purchased: soft metal and the things don't fit any known sized nut or bolt.

By contrast, my set of Australian made "Sidchrome" spanners are now over 40 years old and are perfect. Yes, they were expensive at (then) A$10 each but they are the best tools I've owned.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spanner.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1388821
              Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
                ... I used a 3 ft pipe as leverage over the ratchet and sheared the "square" head right off the the ratchet face. S&K mailed me a new one, same exact shape, same exact model number. Still made in the USA.

42+ year old S&K SAE ratchet set. Now that's some true, classic life time customer service and warranty. Love it.

Also, agree from earlier - use a breaker bar instead though I can relate to "using what's on hand" when you just want to get a thing done and use whatever you have. I have some extensions up into the 20" and 30" ranges. I rarely use them, but when I do need such a thing they're available.

Same thing with having a kit to decouple low pressure AC and some other lines on my Wrangler. Some tools grow dust mostly, but when that moment comes it's just damn nice to have the answer close by.

Feel free to rip my assumptions apart when wrong, or fix if close.

Passive Radiators:
                All PR(s) Vd must be at-least double all woofer(s) Vd. Calc = Sd x Xmax to get Vd for all PR(s) and all woofer(s). A combined PR(s) Vd equal or > than a combined woofer(s) Vd is usable.
                Woofer(s) with large Xmax vs Sd, all PR(s) with Xmax at-least double all woofer(s) Xmax is usable.
                A PR max weight is said to be its Mms x3

PR Systems - tight focus with key parameters.
                PR Speaker Design - thorough coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bullet View Post
                  In the 'it lasts' camp. My Pioneer SX-1280. 40 years old.
                  Man, I SO love those older Pioneer and Kenwood units! This is a 1972 Pioneer tuner I bought from a forum member about 8 years ago, to add FM to the Emotiva amp/pre-amp I got. Same with the 70s-era Yamaha receiver, 1977 CR-420. Something about the style and performance just does it for me. Great photo, thanks!

Name:	100_3275.jpg
Size:	521.3 KB
ID:	1388928

Name:	Vintage Yamaha CR420.jpg
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1388929

John A.

"Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                  Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                  Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                  Pioneer TX-9500 II
                  Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                  Statement Monitors
                  Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                  Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                  Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Medicine and life expectancy have improved. Although, I wouldn't give up my Crecent bandsaw(~1900), and Unisaw (1954). Come to think of it, I'm holding up well for 1948.

Comment

lasted: pioneer sx- anyone from '76'79. Accuphase p-300 - beast, acoustat 3 - bulletproof, 20 year old craftsman tools, 100 lb belt drive hunter ceiling fan - 104 years old. 12 year old Riccar vacuum, 12 year old Whirlpool garage fridge $250 - still holds 3 degrees in freezer and 34 degrees in fridge. 6 pairs of 30 year old floorshim shoes, still wear them. 1 pair of Lucasse 34 year old gator boots - most comfortable I own.

didn't last: any plasma flat screen, fruit themed phones, pool pumps, irrigation systems, 12 yr old $10k 48" monogram refrigerator - 4 compressors replaced. Cole Hann shoes, look great, don't last.

Comment

Originally posted by johnastockman View Post

Man, I SO love those older Pioneer and Kenwood units! This is a 1972 Pioneer tuner I bought from a forum member about 8 years ago, to add FM to the Emotiva amp/pre-amp I got. Same with the 70s-era Yamaha receiver, 1977 CR-420. Something about the style and performance just does it for me. Great photo, thanks!

John A.

Nice John. I have a soft spot for the old power receivers. I also have an older (and arguably better made) SX-1050. Here's it powered up with its "whisk y glow". Lovely to see in a dark room as the music floats through the air, having a whisky of course :-)

Name:	IMG_20180927_170419068.jpg
Size:	473.5 KB
ID:	1388983

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bullet View Post

Nice John. I have a soft spot for the old power receivers. I also have an older (and arguably better made) SX-1050. Here's it powered up with its "whisk y glow". Lovely to see in a dark room as the music floats through the air, having a whisky of course :-)

Name:	IMG_20180927_170419068.jpg
Size:	473.5 KB
ID:	1388983
                          Pretty sure I remember this unit or something extremely close to it in an uncles house when I was young. It was this thing (or one of them) that really introduced me to what Bass can sound like. I don't remember what the speakers were, I just remember being repeatedly told to turn it down every time I visited
                          Feel free to rip my assumptions apart when wrong, or fix if close.

Passive Radiators:
                          All PR(s) Vd must be at-least double all woofer(s) Vd. Calc = Sd x Xmax to get Vd for all PR(s) and all woofer(s). A combined PR(s) Vd equal or > than a combined woofer(s) Vd is usable.
                          Woofer(s) with large Xmax vs Sd, all PR(s) with Xmax at-least double all woofer(s) Xmax is usable.
                          A PR max weight is said to be its Mms x3

PR Systems - tight focus with key parameters.
                          PR Speaker Design - thorough coverage.

Comment

Oooo, a vintage receiver thread is born!!!

Here's a yammy cr-2040. Not the prettiest yammy but one of the best sounding I've heard, particularly for vinyl. I just picked up a pioneer sx-650 which the previous owner painted black to match some modern components. I striped it all off and reveneered it in walnut, will post some pics of it shortly. Really nice looking receiver!
                            Carbon13

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon13 View Post
                              Oooo, a vintage receiver thread is born!!!

Here's a yammy cr-2040. Not the prettiest yammy but one of the best sounding I've heard, particularly for vinyl. I just picked up a pioneer sx-650 which the previous owner painted black to match some modern components. I striped it all off and reveneered it in walnut, will post some pics of it shortly. Really nice looking receiver!
                              I also have an SX-650. Surprisingly powerful and clean for only 35w/ch. It is 4 ohm stable too. It goes places where my supposed 100w channel newer Marantz won't go.

Mine had an issue with burring of the contacts on the on-off / a/ B selector. You can take these apart and deburr them. Add a bit of Deoxit and it's been fine for the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by AEIOU View Post

Bad technique, using a long pipe on a socket wrench. Get and use a real breaker bar.
                                Well, my brother doesn;t work on cars any more - drives a company car now. So I "inherited" his 1/2" breaker bar.

Comment

Working...
                                X