Guitar subwoofers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar subwoofers

To me, make zero sense. Even if it's a heavy band tuning down to A. That's only around 55Hz. Let's just say you were chugga chugging and electric guitar in drop A. Why a sub? A delta 12 would
    Cover that range just fine. Not to mention standard or drop D tuning. Seems completely unnecessary. Any thoughts?

Re: Guitar subwoofers

It's unnecessary
    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

I don't really see a need for it, either -- although, I've never tried it.

Playing an electric guitar through a distorted amplifier (esp. modern amps and playing styles) creates more low frequency content below the fundamental than you might expect. For example, palm-muted chugga-chugging through a high-gain amp creates quite a lot of sub-fundamental content.

Comment

I was thinking of doing something similar with my bass cab and a couple 8 inchers on top. I wouldn't exactly call it a sub. More like a woofer and mids.

Comment

My thought when I saw the post was "absurd, why would anyone want to build that?" Every bit as stupid as putting a tweeter on a guitar amp for the same reason. An electric gtr is a very limited range instrument.
          Eric

Comment

Originally posted by E Biddy View Post
            My thought when I saw the post was "absurd, why would anyone want to build that?" Every bit as stupid as putting a tweeter on a guitar amp for the same reason. An electric gtr is a very limited range instrument.
            One 15 and a small mid could get loud in a fairly small box.

Comment

I think the 15 would be overkill. I would much rather have 2x10s. The mid wouldn't be a bad idea to play with.
              Eric

Comment

Originally posted by RDK View Post
                To me, make zero sense. Even if it's a heavy band tuning down to A. That's only around 55Hz. Let's just say you were chugga chugging and electric guitar in drop A. Why a sub? A delta 12 would
                Cover that range just fine. Not to mention standard or drop D tuning. Seems completely unnecessary. Any thoughts?
                Where are these "subs" crossing and where have you heard about these?

Comment

Originally posted by E Biddy View Post
                  I think the 15 would be overkill. I would much rather have 2x10s. The mid wouldn't be a bad idea to play with.
                  I agree but you could put it in a small sealed box use all the low end boost you want and still get really loud assuming you have the power. So you could have a small loud 15 with mid or haul a 4x12 (for metal heads in crappy bars without good sound setups). Otherwise I agree 2x10 is plenty for most and 2x12 should be plenty for almost anyone.

Comment

One other thing. In my situation I play bass and guitar and something like this could pull double duty. Also full range cabs work great with amp modelers.

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
                      Where are these "subs" crossing and where have you heard about these?
                      Here's the only one I know of:
                      http://www.rivera.com/products/powsub/sub2.php

Comment

Originally posted by 50 watt head View Post
                        Here's the only one I know of:
                        http://www.rivera.com/products/powsub/sub2.php
                        Sounds like the xo in the midrange to reduce distortion caused by excursion. That thing weighs 120 pounds :eek: Thats as much as my mesa boogie 6x10 bass cab! My brother likes to play guitar through my mesa. Loud and clean lows in one 120lb box. I bet it gets louder than that sub.

Comment

Originally posted by 50 watt head View Post
                          I don't really see a need for it, either -- although, I've never tried it.

Playing an electric guitar through a distorted amplifier (esp. modern amps and playing styles) creates more low frequency content below the fundamental than you might expect. For example, palm-muted chugga-chugging through a high-gain amp creates quite a lot of sub-fundamental content.

Comment

Most ( conventional ) guitar players are not concerned with LFE as much as tone and SPL.
                            Of course musicians often do unconventional things to obtain a sound; Jeff Beck ( at one time ) would lay a cab on it's back - cones skyward.
                            Or use an FX ( like a harmonic generator/synth ); I saw CGT perform with no stage amps/speakers whatsoever - Acoustic Guitars went into pedal board and they monitored via IEM.
                            Lexicon Harmonizers were used to make a standard Acoustic Guitar drop octaves for the bass line.
                            Physics mandates a subwoofer be large If it also is to produce high output per watt in. There is usually a lot less air volume to push in a home than a live gig, so the Inverse Square Law becomes more important.
                            Not to mention swamping a stage with LF, when other performers are involved.
                            "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                            “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                            "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Harmonics, harmonics, harmonics.....

You put in the right frets and you can watch a speaker move by bending the string a bit....

Comment

Working...
                              X