DIY Circle Jig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Circle Jig

For past speaker projects I had thrown together quick simple circle jig consisting of a piece of 1/2" piece of MDF bolted to the bottom of a router with a hole drilled for a small bolt to use as a center pin. Similar idea to a Jasper Jig, but without the pre-drilled holes. It worked fine but setup was tedious since the only method of adjustment was to drill a new hole for the bolt each time.I decided for my current Continuum and sub project that I would make a better jig, one that was easily adjustable to an infinite number of positions. I did some looking online at other DIY jigs and come up with one that I think will work pretty nicely. Mine fits the plunge base for my Bosch 1617 EVS but I think something similar could be made for almost any plunge router out there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chilliwack-20120923-00187.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	1182140Click image for larger version

Name:	Chilliwack-20120923-00188.jpg
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	1182141Click image for larger version

Name:	Chilliwack-20120923-00189.jpg
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	1182142Click image for larger version

Name:	Chilliwack-20120923-00191.jpg
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	1182143

I think the pics are pretty self explanatory. The key to this jig is the offset pin and lock down bolt. It allows the pin to slide under the base of the router to cut holes as small as possible while leaving the locking bolt accessible from the top side of the router for easy adjustments. The pin is just the top of a 1/4" bolt cut off and epoxied in to a 1" wide strip of 1/2" baltic birch, the locking bolt is carriage bolt. This jig will cut holes from under 2" to over 22", the largest holes are made by reversing the offset pin piece so that the pin is further out that the locking bolt. The design could easily be modified to suit and size holes you want but I wanted to keep mine relatively compact while allowing me to cut holes and recesses for anything from small tweeters to 21" subwoofers.

The jig was built entirely from stuff I had kicking around in my garage, and can be built with basic tools that most speaker builders will already own. If you wanted to go to extremes I am sure a really nice version could be built from UHMW and some aluminum or steel. The only things I could see changing at this point are replacing the nut on the locking bolt with a large wing nut for tool free adjustment and maybe increasing the size of the cutout for the router bit for better sawdust removal.

I won't post any dimensions since some will depend on the size of the router base used. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

Jason

Re: DIY Circle Jig

Very nice!

Comment

Wow...that's beautiful and it looks like the plunge base of my Bosch router. Can you accurately get better than 1/16 increments (like the Jaspers) on that and if so, how do you set it? I have two Jasper jigs and they work great, but I'd be happier if they could be accurate in 1/32 increments. I know that's silly to even think.

Great job on that.
      Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
        Wow...that's beautiful and it looks like the plunge base of my Bosch router. Can you accurately get better than 1/16 increments (like the Jaspers) on that and if so, how do you set it? I have two Jasper jigs and they work great, but I'd be happier if they could be accurate in 1/32 increments. I know that's silly to even think.

Great job on that.
        Simply measure from pin to edge of router bit...as accurate as you want!

Comment

That's beautifully executed!

Even though I've got a full set of Jaspers, I'll have to attempt something like that for the odd sizes.
          Bill Schneider
          -+-+-+-+-
          www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post

Great job on that.
            Like Marvin said...as accurate as you want. Just loosen the locking bolt and then slide the pin until the measurement from the center of the pin to the outside of the router bit is equal to the radius you want to cut. I always do a test cut in a piece of scrap to double check no matter what type of jig I am using.

Jason

Comment

Very nice.

Edit: nevermind I was looookin wrong ;)

Comment

Like Norm says-it's all about the jigs.

Something about paying for a circle jig turned me off. That is until building Stentorians without a diy jig as nice as the op's. I use a piece of masonite with an 8-32 bolt threaded into a pilot hole for each radius needed. It gets annoying pretty quick.

Now I have another reason not to buy a Jasper Jig!

Comment

Double post.

Comment

You could also just use a compass to draw the desired size cutout onto the baffle, drill your center hole, insert the jig and adjust it so the bit meets the line on your baffle, then tighten everything up. I wish the router buddy was lockable from the top like that. Having used the Jasper, and the router buddy, I gotta say, I think this looks easier to use than either one of them, especially if you have a nice pencil compass. I want one!
                    My modest builds:
                    Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
                    Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
                    Armadillo Center Channel
                    Au-Rock-O Sub
                    Tarkus
                    Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-multi...p-00925179000P
                      Same idea.

Comment