NTN's under construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTN's under construction

Just finished doing the baffles on a pair of NTN's tonight.

Not so good of a night. I had a heck of a time doing the recesses on the tweeters. It's been awhile since I've done any circle cutting on the router and I was a little rusty I guess. Took a few tries to get the diam. correct. It was because of my slow brain and bad math, I think, not my tools! My router doesn't 'center' correctly so the markings on the jig does not match with where the bit is on the cuts. I'm not so good with numbers.

Then sparks start flying... it happened twice. Man, what do they put in that MDF that makes it look like the fourth of July under my router bit? Then the Jasper jig broke. Those holes near the inside don't have much meat on them, I was going pretty ginger but it snapped. Oh well, the rest of the jig is okay, but I really got that small one to do tweeters. Looks like it's time to 'home-made' a jig for small holes like my jig for big holes I made years ago.

Thankfully, I was able to do the rest of the cut-outs for the tweeters with the jig saw and they fit fine. Woofers same thing. They look good enough in my book. The baffles have a 1/4" roundover on them. These are going to get some nice walnut veneer for the sides, top-bottom and back. The front will receive a textured finish with black on top of that... sort of matte looking...

...like this...

I'll do a very low gloss finish on the cabs with a few coats of rub-on poly and some tung oil I think.

I'll tackle stands when I get these done, I don't feel like thinking about it now.

These are for a good friend of mine who I've been wanting to build a set for awhile. I think the NTN's will do him very well.

I just can't believe how long it took me to do a few holes. I'm really rusty with this stuff! I didn't think I'd ever get done, I almost called it quits for the evening after doing just the tweeter holes. Jeesh!

TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Re: NTN's under construction

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
    Just finished doing the baffles on a pair of NTN's tonight.

Not so good of a night. I had a heck of a time doing the recesses on the tweeters. It's been awhile since I've done any circle cutting on the router and I was a little rusty I guess. Took a few tries to get the diam. correct. It was because of my slow brain and bad math, I think, not my tools! My router doesn't 'center' correctly so the markings on the jig does not match with where the bit is on the cuts. I'm not so good with numbers.

Then sparks start flying... it happened twice. Man, what do they put in that MDF that makes it look like the fourth of July under my router bit? Then the Jasper jig broke. Those holes near the inside don't have much meat on them, I was going pretty ginger but it snapped. Oh well, the rest of the jig is okay, but I really got that small one to do tweeters. Looks like it's time to 'home-made' a jig for small holes like my jig for big holes I made years ago.

Thankfully, I was able to do the rest of the cut-outs for the tweeters with the jig saw and they fit fine. Woofers same thing. They look good enough in my book. The baffles have a 1/4" roundover on them. These are going to get some nice walnut veneer for the sides, top-bottom and back. The front will receive a textured finish with black on top of that... sort of matte looking...

...like this...

I'll do a very low gloss finish on the cabs with a few coats of rub-on poly and some tung oil I think.

I'll tackle stands when I get these done, I don't feel like thinking about it now.

These are for a good friend of mine who I've been wanting to build a set for awhile. I think the NTN's will do him very well.

I just can't believe how long it took me to do a few holes. I'm really rusty with this stuff! I didn't think I'd ever get done, I almost called it quits for the evening after doing just the tweeter holes. Jeesh!

TomZ
    The only time I've seen sparks was caused by the collet contacting the pivot pin while cutting a small diameter hole.

Comment

There is metal in MDF because of the way it is made. They don't seem to get it all out.

Comment

Every build for me has at least a few moments of "sheesh, what now?" or "I should have thought of that earlier". :eek:
        I'd like to think that I'm learning.
        Sorry you had so much trouble routing this one. I've built my own small jig for routing the through hole for that little
        Vifa BC tweeter I keep using.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
        "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
        SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
        My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

If I ever saw metal coming out of my MDF I really think I would walk away, go to bed, and want to wake up from the bad dream.

Interesting to hear that metal may be part of the manufacturing process. Been doing MDF for 18 years, never had a spark. I bet, within a week, it will happen to me now.

Comment

I've never seen anything like sparks when routing MDF. I've also never broken a router bit, or Jasper Jig. Now that I've said that, you all know what will happen!:o
            Paul

Originally posted by ROTECH View Post
            If I ever saw metal coming out of my MDF I really think I would walk away, go to bed, and want to wake up from the bad dream.

Interesting to hear that metal may be part of the manufacturing process. Been doing MDF for 18 years, never had a spark. I bet, within a week, it will happen to me now.

Comment

Originally posted by ROTECH View Post
              +1

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
              I've never seen anything like sparks when routing MDF. I've also never broken a router bit, or Jasper Jig. Now that I've said that, you all know what will happen!:o
              Paul
              Too many router bits. It has been a while since I have but don't know why they broke.

I bought a hole saw kit for doing small holes instead of the jig.
              Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

For mishaps in MDF I tried the elmers wood filler. I filled the gouge and re-routed. It looked perfect.
                John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
                  +1
                  I bought a hole saw kit for doing small holes instead of the jig.
                  +2. fwiw, for the ND20, the cheapo 4-pack of hole saw bits has a pair that produces a near-perfect fit for a flush mount. just do the first one to the depth of the tweeter frame (it looks just a hair smaller than the outside edge, but with some blades that protrude beyond the main body of the bit, and the slight wobble of a handheld drill, it works out ). then finish the hole with the one that fits over the magnet, and scrape the excess sticking up between them with a screwdriver.
                  TM (RS125/TB25-302), TM RS150S / Vifa BC25SC06, RS150-4 / Vifa ML-TL, 3CR-AL Ultra Budget: Electric Blue TM, TMM, MTM, Dragonflies , Mounties: Mini HT Satellite,sub for minions

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
                    Every build for me has at least a few moments of "sheesh, what now?" or "I should have thought of that earlier". :eek:
                    I'd like to think that I'm learning.
                    Sorry you had so much trouble routing this one. I've built my own small jig for routing the through hole for that little
                    Vifa BC tweeter I keep using.
                    A jig sounds like a good idea. I know I'm not going to go through all this every time I have to route one of those little tweeters! I think I'm just generally out of practice with the fine art of speaker building. It'll come back to me... it's like riding a bike.

Originally posted by patrickm View Post
                    +2. fwiw, for the ND20, the cheapo 4-pack of hole saw bits has a pair that produces a near-perfect fit for a flush mount. just do the first one to the depth of the tweeter frame (it looks just a hair smaller than the outside edge, but with some blades that protrude beyond the main body of the bit, and the slight wobble of a handheld drill, it works out ). then finish the hole with the one that fits over the magnet, and scrape the excess sticking up between them with a screwdriver.
                    That actually sounds like a decent method and quick. Where do you purchase these hole saw blades? HFT? If so I may already have that set! This particular board of MDF didn't seem very strong near the core, just a little pressure with a screwdriver and that middle 'plug' popped right out.

Jhollander, Luckily, the jasper jig breaking didn't cause any problems visually. It broke when I was doing the tiny hole for the magnet, so I dodged one there. It's nice to know you can rout that elmer's stuff without it getting funny.

A pic of the baffle:

Veneering to begin once I get the vent epoxied in and hole cut for the terminal cup/crossover. Oh, and a layer of scrap veneer on the top of the speaker to hide any joint creep.

TomZ
                    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                      That actually sounds like a decent method and quick. Where do you purchase these hole saw blades? HFT? If so I may already have that set! This particular board of MDF didn't seem very strong near the core, just a little pressure with a screwdriver and that middle 'plug' popped right out.
                      you can get them anywhere, home depot, lowes, probably even walmart. it's a 4-pack from about 3/4" to 2 1/4". the large one is great for a lot of terminal cups too. when you go through the whole 1/2" or especially 3/4" stock, these can get hot, so it helps to back it out after about 1/8" - 1/4" depth and drill a couple holes (with a 1/8" or less drill bit) through the material where the hole saw is cutting.

this is one example.
                      http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

and the little ring sticking up between the concentric circles is pretty weak regardless, it's maybe 1/8" wide.
                      TM (RS125/TB25-302), TM RS150S / Vifa BC25SC06, RS150-4 / Vifa ML-TL, 3CR-AL Ultra Budget: Electric Blue TM, TMM, MTM, Dragonflies , Mounties: Mini HT Satellite,sub for minions

Comment

You can find just about anything in MDF. Maybe that's where Jimmy Hoffa ended up.
                        No matter where you go, there you are.
                        Website

Comment

Veneering almost done. I added some small braces to the inside of the cabinet, can't remember if it was called for in the original design or not, I think there was some type of bracing that Chris recommended.

I added a 1/8" piece of HDF to the tops to hopefully hide the " )) " joints in the future.

Walnut on the sides and top... The back and bottom will be painted textured black and I've still got to come up with a stand idea for these.

Starting to look like a real set of speakers.

TomZ

Comment

Tom, Your cabinets are looking very nice! The black and narrow baffles give a sleek and sophisticated appearance. Can't wait to see them with drivers installed.
                            If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
                            ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Comment

Thanks, Ed.

Just thinking out loud a little...

I was going to give my friend one of the Lepai amps to run these off of, but was just in the basement and noticed that I have a spare 2.1 amp down there I could use. I was thinking of making my friend a sub in the near future, maybe I should just do the sub now and use the 2.1? Hmmmmm.

I have a few TB 6.5" subs, I could use, I know they work with the .1 of that amp pretty well. I have plenty of MDF, just have to check the veneer situation...

TomZ

Comment

Working...
                              X