Amplifier Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amplifier Recommendation

So I just came into a little cash, and I have set aside a bit to spend on electronics. I'm currently using a Sure TK2050 4x100W amp with an SMPS to power the L/R and SR/SR but that is a mere clean 35W into 8 ohms. I want to get something nicer that packs more of a punch. I don't need clean 300 watts or anything, but 100+ would be good.

I'm thinking about the price range of 200 to 400$. I don't mind building it myself or waiting for delivery, but so far building it myself just doesn't look cost effective (diminishing returns).

I've been reading and looking all over online for days and so far I'm looking at the following options:

Emotiva UPA-200 - 349$ with 10% off, 0.03 thd, 125W into 8 ohms
    Onkyo M-282 - 229$, 0.08 thd, 100W into 8 ohms
    Connexelectronics AEM6000 x2 Amp - ~200$, 0.001 thd (crazy), 100W each mono amp - then I'd have to wait for the parts and build it up + PSU

These have been standing out so far, I'm unsure if I want to go with another Class D, or I'd be looking at Class D Audio too. Any thoughts?
    Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
    Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Re: Amplifier Recommendation

Finding a "go to" amp in home audio has been tough for me. I was a car audio enthusiast first. Car audio people are a bit more "outspoken". I love my Zapco amps-although there are MANY good choices. I am sure home audio is the same.

I am in a similar situation. I am interested in Emotiva. I also would like to build a Bob Latino tube amp.

Good luck with your choice!

Comment

Right, I'm totally with you, its hard to pick from so many choices. I'm leaning towards the Emotiva heavily, as I've heard nothing but good things about them.
      Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)

Comment

Since a lot of the modern amps and modern amp technology is "questionable" at best,,, a lot of guys are going to well built retro gear. It's a bit of a gamble unless you're able to audition the amp before purchasing but it can have real, audible returns.

In my mind, there is still NO getting around a huge/heavey transformers with high current capacity in order to get constant, continuous, uncompressed power out.

Try looking on ebay for some great retro amps.

Comment

How retro are we talking about? I was looking at some vintage 80's era Yamaha amps on ebay before, but they are kind of pricey to start and I won't know if I need to look at recapping them and so until I'd have them. Its an interesting angle though.

Comment

Unless I've been lied to all these years, and unless I have terrible ears for this sort of thing, Adcom amps from the late 90's and early 2000's give a great value. If you're patient and willing to hunt around you can probably find some between $200-$300.
            People hear with their eyes.

Comment

How about Crown XLS1000? $299 with 215W into 8 ohm. I have old AB amps that I love, but I think most of that is emotional and nostalgic. The class Ds I have don't seem to give up anythinging in sonic performance and I find myself using the class Ds more.
              Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
              Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
              Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
              Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
              Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

I second the eBay route. Much more bang for your buck with a good, old-school used amp. Just about anything from Adcom, Carver, Parasound, or the classic Japanese brands, for a start.
                "We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true."
                –Robert Wilensky

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Anspach View Post
                  I second the eBay route. Much more bang for your buck with a good, old-school used amp. Just about anything from Adcom, Carver, Parasound, or the classic Japanese brands, for a start.
                  I agree with this. My go to amps are either Hafler DH-200 or Marantz Esotec series. The older Marantz units are fine, too. I'd be open to Adcom, NAD, Ampzilla, Sumo, etc. as well. If you do a little research, you'll understand what you're getting. I would avoid amps that are generally designed for PA or sound reinforcement, ultra low distortion (calling card for a high feedback design), and those with little or no "cult" following.

Read eBay adds with care. A seller who says, "I have no ability to test.....so item is sold as-is" can be eBay-speak for, "this item is fubared, but I don't want to come right out and say that." Price your bid accordingly. Maybe call the seller, too.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can score a Hafler for $35 plus shipping. Just recognize that you might be replacing caps, output devices, and maybe driver transistors. The Hafler was popular enough where there were several replacement aftermarket amp cards available. You could think of that $35 Hafler as a chassis with heatsink and power supply - the biggest cost items for any amplifier.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonP View Post
                    How retro are we talking about? I was looking at some vintage 80's era Yamaha amps on ebay before, but they are kind of pricey to start and I won't know if I need to look at recapping them and so until I'd have them. Its an interesting angle though.
                    Right now, I'm runing a Yamaha XM4220 Pro amp to run my L&R mains (360Wx2@8ohm). I figure my Onkyo 7.1 has enough power to handle the side and rear surrounds. The XM4220 is heavey and was about $40 shipping but I picked it up on ebay for $100+$40 shipping. I've seen a few awesome deals on old Carver amps too but as was mentioned, anything from Adcom, Yamaha, Carver etc. etc. should be a good choice, just be willing to wait for the right deal. If you stay in the early 2000's or 90's you shouldn't need to re-cap it.

With all that said, you need to be aware that it is still a gamble. Actually, anytime you buy anything used on ebay, it's a gamble (LOL).. Over the years I've had great luck with only 2 bad deals, but ebay stood behind thier word and got it resolved both times.

Comment

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...PA-2-Amplifier
                      " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                      Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                      http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Based on what some of us have been doing with the XLS1000 for sub duty, I'd step up to the XLS1500 for mains usage. Not so much for the extra power, but the S/N ratio is significantly better. ZZounds has a four payment, no interest plan that makes it pretty painless.

The Crown XLS Drivecore series have been well received for sound quality with the added bonus of simple lo-pass / hi-pass capability.

Originally posted by jsr View Post
                        How about Crown XLS1000? $299 with 215W into 8 ohm. I have old AB amps that I love, but I think most of that is emotional and nostalgic. The class Ds I have don't seem to give up anythinging in sonic performance and I find myself using the class Ds more.
                        Last edited by fastbike1; 09-30-2012, 10:52 PM.
                        I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                        OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                        Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                        Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                        Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                        LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Originally posted by arlis_1957@yahoo.com View Post
                          This is a nice amp from an upstanding seller. Buy with confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil_RC_1 View Post
                            constant, continuous, uncompressed power out.
                            Who listens to sine waves?

Comment

I imagine Crown has come along way, but even in PA/sound reinforcement setups there are a lot better quality amps than Crown. For me, when I used to do shows on the road, Crown was my AK-47. Reliable and powerful to a fault, but lacked refinement compared to QSC (my pro sound amp of choice). I haven't heard Emotiva first hand, but their advertisements and what I see in pictures hits all the OCD marks for me. Keep in mind, in my opinion, if you truly want to enjoy those low THD numbers you may want to budget a bit for a power conditioner. Furman would be my brand of choice here.

Comment

Working...
                              X