Small Boombox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Boombox

Hey Guys - Im new here and Im not an audio expert by any means. Ive searched through the forums and I didnt find anything specific to what I was looking for. Essentially Im looking for a setup that is powered by 2-4 AA batteries with single knob volume control connected to 2 2.5" or 3" speakers. Im attaching an image of a setup someone is using for a cardboard boombox but I wasnt able to get any specifics as to what exactly he was using. Im sure you guys would be able to name off the parts based on this photo so I hope that helps. I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing what I need to accomplish this little project. Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	parts.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1182591

Re: Small Boombox

AA batteries wont last very long

Comment

Are you thinking more along the lines of this? Click image for larger version

Name:	Portable-Speakers-DSP-19-.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	1144618 or a boom box?

Comment

Originally posted by jakemize View Post
        Hey Guys - Im new here and Im not an audio expert by any means. Ive searched through the forums and I didnt find anything specific to what I was looking for. Essentially Im looking for a setup that is powered by 2-4 AA batteries with single knob volume control connected to 2 2.5" or 3" speakers. Im attaching an image of a setup someone is using for a cardboard boombox but I wasnt able to get any specifics as to what exactly he was using. Im sure you guys would be able to name off the parts based on this photo so I hope that helps. I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing what I need to accomplish this little project. Thanks!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30029[/ATTACH]
        Hello Jakemize, welcome to the forum...

Looks like probably this amp:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-385

and a few mis-matched drivers. You may need 8 AA batteries to power that amp, but it's a nice non-power hungry amp. 3" full rangers would be a good bet for increased sensitivity and a tad more bass over most 2" drivers.

Something along the lines of this driver:
        http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=290-210

might work fairly well. It could work without a tweeter and provide a decent amount of bass.
        If you do a search for these and similar components, you may get some decent ideas.

Also look up boombox on this form, there are a few that have done similar things with good results.

Good luck,
        TomZ
        *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Thanks guys. Tomz I appreciate the detailed feedback. The box that I have made is about 8"x5"x2.5". We there be better battery options such as a 9 volt battery or two 9 volt batteries that could help power this little guy? An just to be clear if I was to use 8 AA batteries, is that what would power the speakers and the amp or is that just powering the amp? Thanks again for everyones time, I really do appreciate it!

Comment

It would power the amp, which is what powers the speakers (so only one set of batteries). Depending on how much you can spend, and your technical skills, I would look at a laptop battery lithium thingy. Way denser energy storage.

Comment

The DTA2 requires 12v, so the amp board in the OP's picture is likely something else, if it really can run off of 3AA batteries. The DTA2 and 8AA batteries or a small rechargeable 12V SLA LIKE THIS would work very well and have great SQ with the ND90 as Tom pointed out - however, I'd opt for the 4-ohm version of the ND90 as opposed to the 8-ohmer.
              Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Just to be clear, the DTA2 requires a bit of assembly, but not much. The directions are very clear and detailed.

I would definitely suggest a rechargeable battery technology, whether SLA or Li-ion or even NiMh, as opposed to throw-aways. You WILL go broke buying throw-away replacement batteries for this project.
                Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Thanks Bryan, I really do appreciate the input.

The reason Im asking these questions is for a prototype build. I have a small boombox that essentially I would like to have produced and would need the insides to be assembled rather easy & quickly, thats why I attached the image from the other guys build. He made a small cardboard boombox that will play your ipod / phone and the parts are sent flat-packed and the buyer puts it together when it arrives. ( btw I have contacted the company he used for his kit in Germany but have not heard back )

Sounds like you guys have provided me with a lot of good info and some things that I could purchase and play around with. Are their companies that I could talk to about producing a small kit that is ready to go for something like this?

Again, I appreciate everyones input and time.
                  Last edited by jakemize; 10-08-2012, 06:36 PM. Reason: left out some details

Comment

There has been an outfit on feeBay from China (Hong Kong ?) that has offered "kits" for i-Pod and i-Phone "boom-boxes", but they seem to be a moving target, never staying at the same location or the same "company" for long. The ad always looks the same, just with the "company name" changed. I wonder if Apple may not be happy with them for this 'n that. (Think Samsung)
                    Any amplifier that puts out any kind of power needs "D" batteries at about $6 a crack and a half dozen of them at least (the old 80's "shoulder suitcases" used 8 D's at least, many used 16!), so rechargeable batteries pay for themselves quickly.

Comment

Hey Guys - I started looking at this 2x2W @ 4 Ohm Class-D Audio Amplifier Board because I can power it off of some AA batteries but also wanted to add a bluetooth option (BT-1). Can I just attach this somehow to the Amplifier?

Comment

Working...
                      X