Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jeff B's CSS Triton High Resolution Monitor - build thread

Bryan,
    Really looking forward to you impressions of the Tritons, especially relative to the Speedsters.

Looking great so far, following along very closely.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
      Here's the dual board XO:

I believe the woofer crossover board wiring shown is wrong as shown. A series connection to the woofer throung 0.72 uf will give no bass. I would think the woofer should be connected to the induction junction with the 0.72 uf cap and the other end of the 0.72 uF cap returned the All-. The build photos are great and proof that beauty is more than skin deep with it comes to loudspeakers. I am envious of your skill!

Comment

I don't see a 0.72uF cap. But if you mean 0.47uF cap, that's done right. It's a notch. The bass can travel through the 0.25mH inductor.
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm2...oSKdB448TTVEnQ

Comment

Originally posted by ryanbouma View Post
          I don't see a 0.72uF cap. But if you mean 0.47uF cap, that's done right. It's a notch. The bass can travel through the 0.25mH inductor.
          Whoops! Mistook the 0.25mH inductor for a 0.25uH cap at quick glance...... no more circuit analysis in the morning before coffee:o

Comment

Originally posted by ryanbouma View Post
            Correct. Jeff addressed a high-frequency spike in the woofer due to the aluminum dust cap with that 0.47uF/0.25mH notch filter. The Dual board XO is correct as is.
            Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Still working on the front baffles and in the process I ran into a couple small problems that took some time to fix, so all in all, not too much progress made today on the Tritons.

First, I made the cutouts for the slot ports. The painter’s tape slot port template worked perfectly. I used a forstner bit to cut a series of holes across the slot. The bit is smaller than the actual port opening. I did this purposely since I have no way to line up the oversized baffle perfectly.

Here’s a baffle bolted into place and ready for the slot port flush-trimming. This looks like some sort of cartoon character….LOL.

Flush-trimming the slot port.

When I repeated this process for the second baffle, I found out that one of the baffle connector bolts did not line up perfectly with its threaded insert. Somehow I fudged up the countersink and the thru hole on the baffle and there’s no way I can force the bolt into the threaded insert. Thank God it only happened to one bolt. Anyway, I had to bondo that baffle hole shut and drill a new countersink and thru hole.

I also had a problem with rattle can paint and uncooperative (cold) weather this morning, so when I tried spraying the insides of the baffle slots, I got runs left and right. I know better, too. I’ve used spray paint in every type of weather imaginable. But this is what happens when you rush things. To make matters worse, my frustration got in the way of my picture taking and I forgot to take pictures of the baffle port opening and then the 3/8” roundover. But here’s one picture, “after” I started repairing the botched paint job.

The flush trimming came out very nice. I added a 3/8” roundover (flare). I doubt there’s any audible benefit to flaring a slot port, but hey, it looks good.

I also chamfered the backside of the woofer cutouts. I used a standard cove bit for this and basically freehanded around the mounting holes. I used a green paint marker to mark the areas that I was going to route out so I didn’t screw anything up.

After using the cove bit, I wrapped some 80-grit paper around a dowel and hand sanded the coves to take away a little more material. This is what it looks like when it’s all said and done.

So that was my morning…….several hours dedicated to a couple simple tasks that should have taken no more than 60 minutes. Screw-ups really suck up time and just SUCK in general.
              Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Nice work.And keep up the photos helps others out.
                Yes I have been around a while and yes I did do and still do a lot of work for Bob Reimer of CSS. Bob and I go back to the days when I owned Nuera Acoustics which had partnered with TB to sell drivers into the DIY market.Any one know of these drivers W3-871S, W4-657S,W5-704S W8-740 just to name a few these were all designed by myself and TB.
                A few public photos here of some work I did
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/28279019@N05/

The crossovers,, some may mentioned have nothing to do with Jeffs design.
                I have been designing the VX series for Bob which use the same driver combo as Jeffs.But I did the design using PE cabinets .5cft for the VX.2 (MTM) plus the .25cft cabinet for the VX.1 (MT) both using slot ports.
                The crossover I did for the VX.2 may come up as a upgrade its not a upgrade rather a NEW design completely.

Just to clarify the crossover question .

Now back to regular programming .
                Nice scallop job on the baffles, a must for these drivers.
                Keep up the good work.

Comment

Awesome....that clears up some confusion. Thanks, Mr. RAW and thanks for the compliments.

May I ask? What are your box stuffing/lining recommendations for the VWR126X in ported configs ? My plan was to go with what has worked very well for me in the past - open cell memory foam on the rear panel and convoluted foam on the top/bottom/sides.
                  Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Your welcome.
                    Damping for vibration is one thing acoustic damping is another.But both effect the same results.
                    Cabinet vibration/damping.
                    You are on the right track use the PE barrier to line all the walls.Plus the SLOT this is often over looked
                    Then use the PE acoustic foam 1" to line the walls plus braces.http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=260-525
                    Last add a tease (handfull) loose behind each driver.
                    For those who have no barrier I have used peel and stick floor tiles for years.The trick with these is getting tiles with good PSA on them.For the price the PE product works and works GREAT.
                    I have just finished 2 designs with the same products and m now working on a 3way with the VWR LDX25 and Motus woofer for CSS.
                    I look forward to seeing your finished work

Al

Comment

Nice t see you posting here again, Al!
                      Don't be a stranger, eh?

BTW- I remember your olden Nuera days... The only supplier of the 871S in North America at that time.

Sadly- the 871 is gone, but the pincushion model remains.
                      The 657 is gone, but we still have the W4-1337.
                      The 704 has been improved upon and is still in use today.
                      The W8-740 is now a 'P' revision, and is still used frequently.

I still think the W3-871S1 would take off if reissued in the states...
                      Wolf
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Nice job !

I am not that good at free handing with a router :(

Practice makes perfect

Comment

Originally posted by AR3A View Post
                          Nice job !

I am not that good at free handing with a router :(

Practice makes perfect
                          Thanks, but it's not as hard as it sounds. Wolf turned me on to this a while back and at the time I thought it would be impossible for me to do. However, cove bits have bearing guides, so just set your router depth accordingly and the bearing will keep you relatively safe. You do have to make sure you don't run over your driver mounting bolt points. That's where the "freehand" comes into play.
                          Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

My garage is a disaster area right now. No chance of parking even a motorcycle in it at this point. The cabinets and baffles are prepped and ready for veneer/paint. I had planned to knock out the XO's tonight, but after measuring the components and cutting the XO boards, I was done. I ran out of steam pretty quick and thru in the towel and headed to the grocery store for some stuff to grill for dinner. Sometimes you have to put the speaker stuff to the side to enjoy some family time....right?? :rolleyes:
                            Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

With the help of my 18-yr-old son, we veneered the cabinets earlier today. IMO, this is really a two man job, or at least it goes so much smoother with a team. I'm using Band-It paper backed maple veneer from PE.

Bill Schneider has an awesome write-up on veneering, here ---> http://www.ohio.edu/people/schneidw/...veneering.html

We basically followed his directions, however, I opted to use Heat Lock adhesive and a veneer saw. The JOE WOODWORKER site has a lot of great tips and some great products as well. That's where I scored the Heat Lock and Veneer Saw.

After tracing oversized panels on the back of the veneer, we cut out each panel and taped them face down so we could apply the adhesive. It's very important to NOT get glue on the front of the veneer. Taping the panles down helps this process. The glue dries in approx. 25 minutes. Then it's laminate time. Joe Woodworker recommends reactivating the Heat Lock glue within a few hours. That's plenty of time to laminate a couple small boxes, so we just rolled the glue on every veneer panel and on both of the speaker cabinets at the same time.

The veneering process is pretty simple really. You place and oversized veneer panel on the cabinet, cover with a cotton tee shirt and iron it on. A J-roller or similar helps to squeeze any air out from under the veneer. Trust me when I say this process goes pretty quickly and smoothly with two people. After my son ironed on a veneer panel, I trimmed it with the veneer saw. Then we repeated the process for the next side of the cabinet, etc etc. We followed the standard order of veneering -- Back, bottom, sides, top.

I have limited veneering experience, but this was fairly easy. Some of the veneer seams were pretty rough after using the veneer saw, but I'm positive that's from my lack of experience. I thought the saw worked very well, and it saved a fair amount of time that would have otherwise been spent on flush-trimming with the router.

I tried to take some before and after pics but the camera auto focus was not being cooperative in the garage under crappy florescent lighting. Anyway the rough seams were easily smoothed out with 320 grit paper. I probably could have used more coarse sand paper, but I really didn't need to.

Rough seams:

After 320-grit hand sanding:

Same as above -- BEFORE:

AFTER:

Last edited by bkeane1259; 10-14-2012, 07:25 PM.
                              Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to document the build. It it good to see how common problems are dealt with by others.

It is hard to tell just how much the seams were improved after sanding. Your before shots are focused crystal clear, but the after shots have very soft focus.

Chris
                                Chris

Goofing around since 2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X