Jeff B's CSS Triton High Resolution Monitor - build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jeff B's CSS Triton High Resolution Monitor - build thread

Thanks for taking the time to document the build. It is helpful to see how common problems are dealt with by others.

It is hard to tell just how much the seams were improved after sanding. Your before shots are focused crystal clear, but the after shots have very soft focus.

Chris
    Chris

Goofing around since 2000.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing these this coming weekend.
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I'll take better pics tomorrow. It's been raining steady for two days now and I can never seem to get very good pictures inside the garage without a flash.

Over the next couple days I should have these completed. Need to get the XOs done and just need to attach and flush-trim the baffles and then paint them - using Duratex for those. I've always wanted a lighter set of speakers. With the exception of the Rat Rockers I built for InDIYana, all my builds have been medium wood tones or black, grey, silver, etc. The maple veneer is very light. I'm temped to just do clear lacquer. My wife will not be happy with that decision however - I guarantee that. Spray lacquer STINKS up the whole house.
        Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Wipe on Polycrylic will do fine.
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Bryan

"Some of the veneer seams were pretty rough after using the veneer saw, but I'm positive that's from my lack of experience."

I have been doing A LOT of research on veneering techniques right now since I am getting close to that stage and have never done veneering in my life. Don't know if you know this or not (forgive me if I am pointing out the obvious) but you need to sharpen or purchase a pre-sharpened veneer saw. I will be watching your progress closely to pick up any tricks I can use to limit my inevitable goof-ups.

Randy Duck

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
              Verified the driver spacing from a high resolution picture I have from the last InDIYana gathering. Thank God for Photoshop. Even though this particular picture is at a slight angle, I was able to zoom in to actual size and verify vertical dimensions with a digital caliper. Then I cropped the picture and added a grid to double check. Basically the grid measures 1/2" increments. So the spacing is as follows in the picture below.

That's ******** you had to do that to get the bloody driver centers IMHO. I really wanna buy this kit but I couldn't get the centers outta the designer, Bob or Miniscus or what ever that outfit is called and I think I was juggled around to some other dude the design was for. Not one of them could even be bothered to give me the info and some emails retorts were surly at best IMHO or perhaps I just perceived it wrong and am to sensitive or something...

I dunno.... three months later I finally get the dimensions from a guy on the DIY forum but 30 hours ago.

I sent an email to Bob about it from my business email and he responds to my hotmail account LOL

Just this morning I got the proper cab drawings THREE MONTHS LATER.

Not a way to do business Bob!

BUT

I'll still buy this kit and your drivers!

Perhaps it was just timing IE crazy summertime stuff with out of town relatives driving one nuts!

Hey I can relate!

BUT

Still it's BS for this guy to have to take a photo to try and figure out the driver cutouts right!

Comment

Originally posted by ryanbouma View Post
                Cool stuff.

Did you see this: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...ml#post3194513

I think it's kind of weird. I wonder if Jeff is actually aware of this. It sounds like that RAW guy is trying to step in or something. I dunno. I'd send Jeff a pm if I were you, unless you already have this "updated" cross over.
                RAW has a nice .5 rear ported PE cab model with a different xover Bob just put up on the site.

Looks like a really nice solution for those of us that don't want to build cabs from scratch. Also they might offer better WAF factor.

I'm sorry for the rants Bob it's just I was excited to build the kit this summer but I wasn't ready to jump on it when you couldn't even provide me the front baffle driver centers and after being tossed around between four parties I though... screw this BS.

Understandable no?

Comment

I'm sure Bryan has his reasons, but doing the flush trim w/ a veneer saw in lieu of the router is not faster or better. The veneer saw is really best at trimming veneer to splice pieces for a wider area or to fit a pattern.

Originally posted by RcDuck View Post
                  Bryan

"Some of the veneer seams were pretty rough after using the veneer saw, but I'm positive that's from my lack of experience."

I have been doing A LOT of research on veneering techniques right now since I am getting close to that stage and have never done veneering in my life. Don't know if you know this or not (forgive me if I am pointing out the obvious) but you need to sharpen or purchase a pre-sharpened veneer saw. I will be watching your progress closely to pick up any tricks I can use to limit my inevitable goof-ups.

Randy Duck
                  I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                  OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                  Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                  Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                  Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                  LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Triton manual w/ drawings is on the Creative Sound Website. Not there earlier?

Originally posted by HiroPro View Post
                    RAW has a nice .5 rear ported PE cab model with a different xover Bob just put up on the site.

Looks like a really nice solution for those of us that don't want to build cabs from scratch. Also they might offer better WAF factor.

I'm sorry for the rants Bob it's just I was excited to build the kit this summer but I wasn't ready to jump on it when you couldn't even provide me the front baffle driver centers and after being tossed around between four parties I though... screw this BS.

Understandable no?
                    I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                    OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                    Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                    Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                    Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                    LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

It's there now as of today WITH driver centers!

YAY

The problem wasn't that we didn't have a cab drawing or even decent manual for the kit, it's the LACK of front baffle driver dimensions that was the problem as is apparent in this build when the OP had to take a bloody photograph and use photoshop to figure out this IMPORTANT aspect of the design properly.

Don't listen to me or take my comments seriously as I'm just sniveling because I don't have a pair... YET

:o

Comment

As the aforementioned designer, I would like to apologize for all of that. I don't recall sending any "surly emails" though, and I would have gladly given the exact dimensions if I still had the cabinets in my possession, but since I didn't there wasn't much I could do. I honestly don't believe the missing CtC distances were a big deal, and it would have been easy for anyone to lay out the baffle using the sizes of the drivers. That alone should not stop anyone from building the speaker. But, having said that, I also believe that anyone building this kit should have received those details as part of the kit.

I also apologize if you felt you were yanked around. I don't believe anyone associated with this speaker would ever want someone to feel that way. I also agree, Bryan should not have had to figure it out from a photograph of my speakers either. Unfortunately, there are several things about this project that I am disappointed with, but I truly believe that this is a remarkable little speaker and no one who gives it a try with be disappointed with how it performs.

Jeff B.

Originally posted by HiroPro View Post
                        That's ******** you had to do that to get the bloody driver centers IMHO. I really wanna buy this kit but I couldn't get the centers outta the designer, Bob or Miniscus or what ever that outfit is called and I think I was juggled around to some other dude the design was for. Not one of them could even be bothered to give me the info and some emails retorts were surly at best IMHO or perhaps I just perceived it wrong and am to sensitive or something...

I dunno.... three months later I finally get the dimensions from a guy on the DIY forum but 30 hours ago.

I sent an email to Bob about it from my business email and he responds to my hotmail account LOL

Just this morning I got the proper cab drawings THREE MONTHS LATER.

Not a way to do business Bob!

BUT

I'll still buy this kit and your drivers!

Perhaps it was just timing IE crazy summertime stuff with out of town relatives driving one nuts!

Hey I can relate!

BUT

Still it's BS for this guy to have to take a photo to try and figure out the driver cutouts right!
                        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by czag View Post
                          It is hard to tell just how much the seams were improved after sanding. Your before shots are focused crystal clear, but the after shots have very soft focus.
                          Here are a few pics with much better focusing. I realize now what I'm seeing in these pics. The backing paper on the maple veneer is dark brown, and can be seen fairly easily from the proper angles. I'm not sure how I feel about that since I'm retaining the wood's natural color and just doing clear lacquer. Maybe it will provide some contrast. :rolleyes: Anyway..............

Like I mentioned, I'm a veneer novice. I didn't want to sand these seams too much for fear of stripping away the extremely thin veneer. You can see a bit of roughness even after some light sanding.

Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Today, I got the baffles done. This required simply attaching them to the cabinets and then flush-trimming, rounding over and painting. Easy, right?

Here they are ready to go. I put one strip of masking tape around the cabinets where the flush trim bearing will ride. I’m known to be a little heavy-handed on the router and the tape helps to protect the unfinished veneer.

This was going so smoothly until I hit my last corner and….WTF!?!? The bit pulled some of the poplar right out of the corner. ****!!! I don’t have time for this!! Where’s the Bondo??

I shouldn’t be too surprised. Crap like this inevitably happens to me at some point during my builds.
                            Quick touch-up with Bondo. A little rough sanding and a couple passes with the router and some more sanding and it’s done. Glad I’m using Duratex to cover this mistake. You won’t be able to tell it even happened.

Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Baffles:

Here’s the corner that had the tear-out. This is one coat of Duratex. You can barely see the Bondo, but after some sanding and another coat of paint, the scar will be completely invisible.

Close-up of the texture:

Cabinets:

One coat of lacquer. After 30 minutes I will sand this with 320-grit.

Three additional coats of lacquer. The cabs will cure now for 48 hours before I rub the finish out.

This is the bottom of the cabinet. The seams are pretty obvious there.

Crossovers tomorrow.
                                Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Working...
                                X