ID:	1182609Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	1182610
    Last edited by bkeane1259; 10-09-2012, 02:39 AM. Reason: added charts
    Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Re: Jeff B's CSS Triton High Resolution Monitor - build thread

Sometimes all your stars are in alignment. At InDIYana 2012, Mark @ Meniscus just happened to have a pair of old cabinets that were temporarily used in a Triton prototype. The Meniscus dudes always have a van full of toys and I was able to score these cabinets. All I need to do is some touch-up work, bracing and damping and front baffles. The cabs were in fairly good condition as I got them – just a little dinged up here and there and they will need to be re-veneered eventually, although I’m not so sure the new veneer will get done soon enough for the show. The cabinets are mitered 3/4" MDF - 18” tall x 7.5” wide x 11” deep. There will be a front-mounted slot port.

The front baffles will be removable. 1-inch square poplar corner braces will hold threaded inserts, and I will also tap the center brace for mounting bolts.

Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

The more I use it, the more I like it. PE's Sonic Barrier vinyl damping is added to the back side of the front baffle. The baffle material is 1-inch thick poplar. I plan to add a 3/4" roundover to the baffle sides.

The Sonic Barrier adhesive is very good. I didn't use additional adhesive, but I did hit it with the heat gun and a small J-roller before clamping the two baffles together. Gonna let that sit overnight just to ensure a good bond.

Additional vinyl damping was applied to the inside panels and I hit the whole interior with truck bed liner.

That's it for now.....
      Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Looking good Brian! I've been bouncing back and forth on which tweeters I want to use in my 3ways with the ld25x topping the list. I think now I am going to pull the trigger and go with them. Are you planning a sub to mate up with these? That was really their only downside.
        https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

nice build thread. cant wait to hear them in grinnel.
          " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
          Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
          http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Thanks guys. Chuck, I do have a sealed JBL GTO1214D at my workstation that I only use once in a blue moon to be honest. Initially I will be swapping my Speedsters out for the Tritons. There's a world of difference between those two speakers, so it will be very interesting to get this build done and get the Tritons installed for some break-in and listening ahead of Iowa.
            Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Verified the driver spacing from a high resolution picture I have from the last InDIYana gathering. Thank God for Photoshop. Even though this particular picture is at a slight angle, I was able to zoom in to actual size and verify vertical dimensions with a digital caliper. Then I cropped the picture and added a grid to double check. Basically the grid measures 1/2" increments. So the spacing is as follows in the picture below.

Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Cool stuff.

Did you see this: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...ml#post3194513

I think it's kind of weird. I wonder if Jeff is actually aware of this. It sounds like that RAW guy is trying to step in or something. I dunno. I'd send Jeff a pm if I were you, unless you already have this "updated" cross over.
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm2...oSKdB448TTVEnQ

Comment

Originally posted by ryanbouma View Post
                  Cool stuff.

Did you see this: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...ml#post3194513

I think it's kind of weird. I wonder if Jeff is actually aware of this. It sounds like that RAW guy is trying to step in or something. I dunno. I'd send Jeff a pm if I were you, unless you already have this "updated" cross over.
                  I believe "Raw" is the former owner of Raw acoustics and has worked extensively with CSS (Bob) over the years. Just like Jeff, he knows what his doing! His suggestion (cap across the tweeter legs) is legit depending on how lively you like your tweeter.

Chuck

Comment

Yup, he does work with Bob. And I agree that a cap across the terminals would tame the top end. Just seemed odd to me how he put it. Especially the last part about listening to his cross over. I dunno, maybe Jeff knows they're modifying his cross over and that is cool. I just figured I'd point it out to the OP so he can enquire if there is a better xo.

PS. I usually find a series resistor will tame the top end with more control and cheaper. I wonder if they tried that. Good luck Bryan.
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm2...oSKdB448TTVEnQ

Comment

Originally posted by ryanbouma View Post
                      Yup, he does work with Bob. And I agree that a cap across the terminals would tame the top end. Just seemed odd to me how he put it. Especially the last part about listening to his cross over. I dunno, maybe Jeff knows they're modifying his cross over and that is cool. I just figured I'd point it out to the OP so he can enquire if there is a better xo.

PS. I usually find a series resistor will tame the top end with more control and cheaper. I wonder if they tried that. Good luck Bryan.
                      To my knowledge the "new crossover" was the identical schematic but with boutique parts. I was unaware that the design itself was being modified. It seems so far everyone has loved this speaker, so I guess that's why we want to modify it.
                      Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

The only "update" that I'm aware of is a "dual board" XO that separates the hi-pass filter from the low-pass filter and as such, increases the spacing of the inductors. They also rotated the small inductor in the low-pass circuit. Funny since I got this shortly after bringing it up in another thread (about the inductor orientation).

I have only heard this system with the original XO as designed by Jeff and I won't be modifying it for Iowa. I want them to sound like I heard them in Indiana.
                        Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Here's the dual board XO:

Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

The tweeter cutout was pretty straight forward. The LD25X has a 3” diameter. I did a recess depth of 1/8”. The router bit progression on the Jasper jig is as follows: At 1/8” depth - 3”, 2 5/8, 2 3/16 and then 1 15/16” and this is where I went all the way thru. FWIW, I tried a 1 7/8 thru hole on scrap and the tweeter cup did not fit well.

Baffles with driver cutouts – note the notches for the woofer terminals.

Making the front baffles removable, so I marked the center location points for the internal mounting braces, clamped the oversized baffles on as straight as possible and drilled small pilot holes. From these pilot holes I will drill counter sinks for the connector bolts on the baffle and I will install threaded inserts into the internal mounting blocks. I'm using the long connector bolts and inserts from Meniscus.

My son helped me measure and mark the baffle mounting points.

Countersink holes for the baffle bolts.

I didn’t have time to cut the slot port opening on the baffle, but I made a painter’s tape template that I will use on the baffle to mark the opening. My plan is to use a slightly smaller forstner bit and drill a series of thru holes. Then after the baffle is attached, I will simply flush-trim the opening. Sounds easy right? I fear a potential screw up there, but we’ll see tomorrow.

Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Working...
                              X