Why don't I ever see these....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why don't I ever see these....?

I have a Nady 1100 that I use for Sub duty with my IB sub. I also have a Nady 900 that will probably used for Sub duty as well.

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
      I think a lot of people think pro sound gear is not hi-fi. I find this funny considering pro gear is used to make recordings.
      Ha! That is funny. Not sure why that didn't occur to me until now, even though I came from the pro audio world.
      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
      Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Could I use the 1000 as a main amp ? I ordered one for this reason, will aether be using my DA-C20 pre amp of the diy tube pre I have on the bench momentarily.

Comment

I'm using a XLS 1000 with 2 infinity 1262w sealed. I like the combo.
          When I got the XLS I first tested it with some cheap htib speakers, then with my statement monitors. Unfortunately I'm moving to an apartment so I have to ditch the idea of getting a 1500 for mains duty...
          My Statement monitors
          My Piccolatas
          My LM3886 amp

Comment

Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
            ... User reports say that the fans either never come on or are inaudible if they run.
            In my setup the 1000 fan runs pretty much all the time (I guess the weather and the fact that I wired my subs to 2Ohms each), but definitely they are inaudible. I had to visually check for movement to confirm the fan was on.
            My Statement monitors
            My Piccolatas
            My LM3886 amp

Comment

Originally posted by AR3A View Post
              Could I use the 1000 as a main amp ? I ordered one for this reason, will aether be using my DA-C20 pre amp of the diy tube pre I have on the bench momentarily.
              It surely could, and many do. I use it for stereo duty outdoors when having cookouts and such. The XLS1000 does not compare to my adcom gfa5400 for stereo duty, as the 1000 is a little thinner and grittier. Though as stated above, the XLS1000 has the worst SNR of the bunch and this may be what I experience. Overall, the versatility makes one of these amps a must have and for subwoofers, it was the best $299 I will ever spend.

Comment

Picked up an XTi 1002 to use for sub duty. I love it's flexibility and it's sound quality isn't bad, but the fan screams after listening to music at moderate volume for a little while.
                "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

+1 user here using the XLS1000 to drive three Peerless 12" SLS subs. Don't know if the fan runs because I never hear it. Very satisfied!!
                  ~Brandon 8O
                  Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                  Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                  DriverVault
                  Soma Sonus

Comment

Originally posted by mattp View Post
                    I use an EP4000 for my pair. With a 5 minute fan swap and a couple 1/4"-RCA adapters its been working fine for almost three years. +1 on the Home Theater Shack forums, those guys LOVE pro amps for sub duties.
                    We have about a half dozen of them, the old EP2500 and newer 4000's in various capacities. I would highly recommend them for sub duty. They compare well to much more expensive QSC and Crown products for a whole lot less money. So far, out of six amps, some run daily, some pushed hard in 8 hour tests on a regular basis, we've had ZERO failures. And yes, they are popular on AV Science, HTS, and a few other sites.

Comment

Anyone have any opinions on this...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=300-9428

How does it compare to the Crown amps?

Edit: Just noticed it says 'transducer' amplifier.. So, it only works with transducers??

Comment

Originally posted by augerpro View Post
                        +1 user here using the XLS1000 to drive three Peerless 12" SLS subs. Don't know if the fan runs because I never hear it. Very satisfied!!
                        So the problem you had before was just that the SA240's didn't have the voltage swing for your subs?
                        --
                        "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

Originally posted by Pallas View Post
                          So the problem you had before was just that the SA240's didn't have the voltage swing for your subs?
                          Yep, amp clipping. With the XLS1000 no issue, and that's with big boost around 30hz via the DCX2496.
                          ~Brandon 8O
                          Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                          Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                          DriverVault
                          Soma Sonus

Comment

If any amp fans are noisy, check with Newegg, Tiger Direct or a computer "geek" shop for the new "silent" fans (also known as "shark tooth fans" because of the blades), they move more CFM and are so quiet you keep checking to see if they're running. Similar tech as the drone's prop blades (!) They look weird, but they work. I got a new lap-top cooler with two of them in it, USB powered. Uses about 1/4 the amperage as my old one, actually makes a strong air flow, and unless I put my ear over one of the fans, I can't hear it. It also weighs nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
                              I think a lot of people think pro sound gear is not hi-fi. I find this funny considering pro gear is used to make recordings. The other problem IMO is that the drivecore are ugly. Also you have a pm.
                              There's a difference between production and reproduction. Not too sure which symphonies use amplifiers when recording.

The fan is the only reason I would think people might shy away. I have a Hafler 500. It has a fan. I stopped using it because of that. I'm sure I could swap it out for a lower noise unit.

If the crown was being used full range, I doubt the fans would ever kick on. Limit the bandwidth for sub duty and average power goes way up. That's when the fans might kick on. If the amp is far enough away, you might not notice the fan. But with the Hafler 12 feet away, during quiet passages, I could hear the fan and it just plain irked me.
                              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                              Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                              "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

General experience w/ the Drivecores seems to be that the fans don't kick in even for sub duty.

There's a difference between production and reproduction. Not too sure which symphonies use amplifiers when recording.

The fan is the only reason I would think people might shy away. I have a Hafler 500. It has a fan. I stopped using it because of that. I'm sure I could swap it out for a lower noise unit.

If the crown was being used full range, I doubt the fans would ever kick on. Limit the bandwidth for sub duty and average power goes way up. That's when the fans might kick on. If the amp is far enough away, you might not notice the fan. But with the Hafler 12 feet away, during quiet passages, I could hear the fan and it just plain irked me.
                                I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                                OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                                Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                                Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                                Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                                LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Working...
                                X